Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've decided that if I get the grades needed to get into university, I would love to take either Classical Civilisations or Classical Studies (I'm not ruling out Ancient History but I'm swaying towards Classic Civs). But I was wondering which universities you guys would rate highly for their Classics' departments situated in England. Because I don't want to move too far away from home, I've decided that I may check out these Universities:
    Bristol
    Reading
    Nottingham
    Birmingham
    Warwick
    Leeds
    Liverpool
    Manchester

Are there unis on there which you wouldn't rate as highly as another? Is it worth visiting other unis which I haven't mentioned? I've ruled out Oxford and Cambridge because there's no chance I'll get into there and I've missed out UCL as I think living costs might be higher. I have looked at some league tables but some of them really do contrast with others so I thought it might be good if I asked people who have either attended the uni themselves or have known someone who has been there to study Classic Civs. I will be attending as may open days as I can this summer but there are so many to choose from and some unis have the same open dates so I could do with shortening my list a little. Any information on your opinions is deeply appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    My dad went to Warwick for his MBA - it's a great university and a Russel Group but I don't really know about classical civilisation I'm only 13 🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've heard fairly good things about Bristol, Reading and Warwick. You might also like to consider Royal Holloway which isn't very far from Reading!

If you did decide you would consider going a bit further away, then Exeter or Southampton would be worth looking at.

I haven't heard a lot about Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Notts and Birmingham - but I imagine they're all fine. Try and visit as many as possible and decide for yourself based upon the teaching standard, the feel of the uni, the cost and quality of accommodation and location

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for informing me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucilou101)
    I've heard fairly good things about Bristol, Reading and Warwick. You might also like to consider Royal Holloway which isn't very far from Reading!

If you did decide you would consider going a bit further away, then Exeter or Southampton would be worth looking at.

I haven't heard a lot about Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Notts and Birmingham - but I imagine they're all fine. Try and visit as many as possible and decide for yourself based upon the teaching standard, the feel of the uni, the cost and quality of accommodation and location
    Thank you for letting me know! I will try and visit as many as I can and I'll also look into Royal Holloway, Exeter and Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvieEmerald)
    Thank you for letting me know! I will try and visit as many as I can and I'll also look into Royal Holloway, Exeter and Southampton.
    Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Nottingham and Warwick to check out their Classics departments and those two stood out to me the most, definitely go check them out also definitely talk to the heads of those departments at the university they helped alot. Although living costs may be higher you do get a larger load if you study at a London university, the KCL and UCL classics departments were also really good. (Personally I much preferred KCL because of the course topics they offer) so dont completely rule those out but ofc it is your choice, hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by radhapatel)
    I've been to Nottingham and Warwick to check out their Classics departments and those two stood out to me the most, definitely go check them out also definitely talk to the heads of those departments at the university they helped alot. Although living costs may be higher you do get a larger load if you study at a London university, the KCL and UCL classics departments were also really good. (Personally I much preferred KCL because of the course topics they offer) so dont completely rule those out but ofc it is your choice, hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It does help- thank you for letting me know! I didn't realise that loans were bigger in London so that will make me less biased when choosing open days to attend.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.