Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to do sociology and possibly law at university. I'm currently going to be getting a levels in English Literature, sociology and geography, however I don't think I'm going to get a good grade in English lit and I have to take a BTEC next year (hopefully law).

So, if I do bad in English lit, I'll probably just show my other two a levels and the BTEC I have to take. Will universities accept this or do I need all a levels or all BTECs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louanneee)
    I want to do sociology and possibly law at university. I'm currently going to be getting a levels in English Literature, sociology and geography, however I don't think I'm going to get a good grade in English lit and I have to take a BTEC next year (hopefully law).

So, if I do bad in English lit, I'll probably just show my other two a levels and the BTEC I have to take. Will universities accept this or do I need all a levels or all BTECs?
    Yes you definitely can, I'm doing a level psychology, a level business studies and BTEC law and i will be going to university next year. It depends on the university you want to attend, some accept BTECs whereas others don't so the best thing for you to do would be to research the universities and course that you are considering and looking at the entry criteria. If BTECs are not mentioned under the entry requirements then try emailing the admissions board to find out if they allow a combination of a levels and BTEC and if the BTEC has to be in a specific subject

ReputationRep:
    Yes most unis will, you will have to enquire though as a lot of unis only list their requirements for the BTEC Extended Diploma (worth 3 A levels), i assume you will be doing the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma (worth 1 A level) as you are doing another 2 A levels

the uni that I go to requires AAB for A level to do Law and if you do a BTEC Subsidiary Diploma in Applied Law they require a Distinction (equiv. to a grade A at A level) and then AB for the other 2 A levels so the offer is equal based on the equivalence.

If a uni that you want to apply to doesnt state it on their website, dont just assume they dont accept, give them an email first, a lot wont list their offer for a mix of A levels and BTECs, as a general rule if a uni accepts requirements for any of the sizes of BTEC then they will usually accept a mix of a smaller BTEC and A levels

Hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.