What do I need to do/study to become a doctor? Watch

kyliep36
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am choosing my GCSEs next week and one of my main job options is to be a doctor. I still want to keep my options open as I also like geography, history and business studies so I'm thinking of studying English (lit and lang), Maths, French, RE, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography and then either History or Business Studies.
Would this be good enough to become a doctor? I was also wondering, is it better to do triple award science (which I'm thinking of) or double award? I've heard that they like it better if you do all three separate, is this true?!
cookiemonster15
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by kyliep36)
I am choosing my GCSEs next week and one of my main job options is to be a doctor. I still want to keep my options open as I also like geography, history and business studies so I'm thinking of studying English (lit and lang), Maths, French, RE, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geography and then either History or Business Studies.
Would this be good enough to become a doctor? I was also wondering, is it better to do triple award science (which I'm thinking of) or double award? I've heard that they like it better if you do all three separate, is this true?!
Triple is better and it's soo helpful when you do your A levels

Your choices sound good enough I don't see anything wrong with them..
FIR3STOMP3R
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there!

If you are doing three separate science courses involving all three sciences (e.g. Double, Triple), then Sixth Forms normally focus on your Double Science grade, and Triple is a decent step-up of knowledge.

English Literature and Language are both not exactly significant if you want to become a Doctor, but since they are both GCSE's, if you can get at least an A grade in them, then they are definitely worth taking. Maths is one of the fundamental A Levels required if you are planning to go to University, so it would be useful if you know you can achieve a B/C in Maths, as this would help a lot.
French, okay, it's decent, of course having a language is not a drawback - since it is a small addition, but if you can get a good grade in it, then it is a good addition to your application.
Bio/Chem/Phys are all required! Make sure you get the best possible grades in all of these. As far as A Levels, Chemistry is the definitely required, and Biology/Physics/Maths are nice additions.
Geography, as far as I know, Universities prefer History over Geography, but since they are both Humanities subjects, then they are both good additions.
Business is definitely a nice addition to have with your resume, it's practically good everywhere.

In the end, choose what you are good at! Get as many top grades as you can. But if you want to be a doctor, you should do the three sciences and mathematics at A Level.

Good luck! You can message me if you want to talk further.

Leo
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Jul '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (131)
19.35%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (67)
9.9%
No I am happy with my course choice (383)
56.57%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (96)
14.18%

Watched Threads