Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maggiedavies)
    1) Considering applying for Human Sciences with the entry requirements of AAA including Biology.
    It sounds amazing!

2) Currently in year 12 and never even imagined getting anywhere near AAA (or even AAB) but I'm enjoying A Levels a lot more and really want to put in the effort to achieve these grades.

The A Levels I am studying are:
    Biology, English Literature, ICT and General Studies.

3) I didn't do great at GCSE.
    C in Maths; BB in English Lang & Lit, B in Core Science, 1 A, and then 2 more Cs, a D and an E.

Am I at a any sort of disadvantage? Or will a good personal statement and achievement of AAA in my A Levels suffice?
    My best friend applied. She has straight A*s from 4A2 subjects. But because her GCSEs were not all A*s, she was rejected. Seems to be a thing where you have to have a really good record overall, otherwise you don't get a chance.

ReputationRep:
    1) Considering applying for Human Sciences with the entry requirements of AAA including Biology.
    It sounds amazing!

2) Currently in year 12 and never even imagined getting anywhere near AAA (or even AAB) but I'm enjoying A Levels a lot more and really want to put in the effort to achieve these grades.

The A Levels I am studying are:
    Biology, English Literature, ICT and General Studies.

3) I didn't do great at GCSE.
    C in Maths; BB in English Lang & Lit, B in Core Science, 1 A, and then 2 more Cs, a D and an E.

Am I at a any sort of disadvantage? Or will a good personal statement and achievement of AAA in my A Levels suffice?
    Yes, you do have a disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinemither)
    My best friend applied. She has straight A*s from 4A2 subjects. But because her GCSEs were not all A*s, she was rejected. Seems to be a thing where you have to have a really good record overall, otherwise you don't get a chance.
    That just has to be wrong. There are so many cases known of people who made successful applications with not all A*s, even in medicine (known the be the course with the greatest GCSE standards), that the assertion implied above, that you need all A*s at GCSE to avoid rejection, can't be true.

ReputationRep:
    How did you do so amazing at a level ??? I got 2a's 3b's and 5c's at gcse very poor grades and I'm worried I won't be accepted to uni or to a top uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most unis do not really worry much about gcse's other than for high profile courses like Medicine. What many do look for are the level you achieve at English Language and Maths. Most accept Cs but sometimes Bs in these subjects. Often a B is required in Maths for science based subject but that does not apply to every uni. Grades at A level and subjects taken at that level are usually more important to unis than gcse grades

ReputationRep:
    try other top unis, I was in the same position as you and didn't get into Oxford cos of my GCSEs
    My sister got into Bristol and had similar GCSEs, she also got into Southampton and Queen Mary, try those, they are amazing universities.

ReputationRep:
    I got 2 A*s, 6A's, 2 B's at GCSE, AABC at AS, and A*A*A at A2 and I'm at Ox

ReputationRep:
    If you're applying to Bristol or Birmingham they have an a2b scheme

I think Cambridge has one too. (Something similar to a2b)

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

Your GCSEs are low, and would affect your application somewhat. Oxford do take a holistic approach however, and if you have extenuating circumstances or your GCSEs were very good compared to other people in your year, then Oxford will take that in to consideration.

You would need to take the TSA for Human Sciences, so your performance in that would be a large factor. There's nothing stopping you from putting it down as one of your five options, as long as you make sure you have other realistic choices. Then if you do happen to get an interview, give it your all and see what happens!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    Most unis do not really worry much about gcse's other than for high profile courses like Medicine. What many do look for are the level you achieve at English Language and Maths. Most accept Cs but sometimes Bs in these subjects. Often a B is required in Maths for science based subject but that does not apply to every uni. Grades at A level and subjects taken at that level are usually more important to unis than gcse grades
    You can be assured that Oxford do care about GCSEs, a lot more than just a C or B in English Language and Maths. The rough average of those coming to Oxford is around 7A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astro67)
    That just has to be wrong. There are so many cases known of people who made successful applications with not all A*s, even in medicine (known the be the course with the greatest GCSE standards), that the assertion implied above, that you need all A*s at GCSE to avoid rejection, can't be true.
    No, it's true. She passed her entry exam for the uni, but was rejected after her interview. Poor lass was devastated.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's true. She passed her entry exam for the uni, but was rejected after her interview. Poor lass was devastated.
    So then there's reason to believe it was as much down to interview performance or performance in an aptitude test (an applicant doesn't simply pass/fail an aptitude test) as anything to do with GCSEs. No-one's application is unsuccessful simply on account of their GCSEs not all being A*.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everybody for all of your input!
    I don't know if I'll put Oxford down as one of my choices yet.

(Original post by cathartic)
    How did you do so amazing at a level ??? I got 2a's 3b's and 5c's at gcse very poor grades and I'm worried I won't be accepted to uni or to a top uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm only in year 12 and haven't completed any exams for A Levels yet (we do them all in year 13). I'm just doing better than my teachers and myself expected.

ReputationRep:
    I should clarify that I wasn't disputing the fact of the outcome but I do think that the reason for it could not have been solely the failure to achieve 100% A* grades at GCSE. That isn't a requirement for any Oxford course. The fact that your friend was invited for interview tends to confirm this since there would have been no point inviting for interview someone who could not be made an offer because of their GCSE results.

ReputationRep:
    Just believe in yourself and prepare as much as you can for your personal statement and your interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Just believe in yourself and prepare as much as you can for your personal statement and your interview.
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by astro67)
    I should clarify that I wasn't disputing the fact of the outcome but I do think that the reason for it could not have been solely the failure to achieve 100% A* grades at GCSE. That isn't a requirement for any Oxford course. The fact that your friend was invited for interview tends to confirm this since there would have been no point inviting for interview someone who could not be made an offer because of their GCSE results.
    I don't know I was invited to interview at cambridge with no qualifications whatsoever and even offered a further interview in another subject. Obviously I didn't get offered a place but it goes to show that you can be get through the application process and perhaps even stand a chance of smashing it without good GCSE's. Don't you think?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by N-R-G)
    I don't know I was invited to interview at cambridge with no qualifications whatsoever and even offered a further interview in another subject. Obviously I didn't get offered a place but it goes to show that you can be get through the application process and perhaps even stand a chance of smashing it without good GCSE's. Don't you think?
    That doesn't counter astro's point.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by N-R-G)
    I think it does.
    You don't know that you 'could not have been made an offer'. People get interviews if they have a reasonable chance of getting an offer. But the person who astro was replying to was suggesting that their friend couldn't possibly have gotten an offer due to their GCSEs - but the fact they got an interview suggests that they could have gotten an offer - if their GCSEs were a deal-breaker then they wouldn't have gotten an interview.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.