Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously considering applying for HSPS at Cambridge, and I've dug around online for a bit and it seems I'm slightly under every single average or recommendation.

My GCSE grades are 5A*/5A/1B. I'm predicted AAAA at AS level, and my teachers feel it would not be out of reach for me to get a few A* at A2. But I am concerned my subject choices are too vague for Cambridge (English Literature, English Language, Religious Studies, Creative Writing)

I had planned to do English (shocking I know by those course choices!) but have since set my heart on Sociology/Social Anthropology. I attend a state grammar, I'm doing lots of extra reading and I've applied for Sutton/UNIQ. I'm trying every trick in the book but I'm still unsure if, even with the grades I'm expected, my GCSE's and A level choices will let me down?

Any advice/gut feelings about my chances?

- Milly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MythicMouse)
    I'm seriously considering applying for HSPS at Cambridge, and I've dug around online for a bit and it seems I'm slightly under every single average or recommendation.

My GCSE grades are 5A*/5A/1B. I'm predicted AAAA at AS level, and my teachers feel it would not be out of reach for me to get a few A* at A2. But I am concerned my subject choices are too vague for Cambridge (English Literature, English Language, Religious Studies, Creative Writing)

I had planned to do English (shocking I know by those course choices!) but have since set my heart on Sociology/Social Anthropology. I attend a state grammar, I'm doing lots of extra reading and I've applied for Sutton/UNIQ. I'm trying every trick in the book but I'm still unsure if, even with the grades I'm expected, my GCSE's and A level choices will let me down?

Any advice/gut feelings about my chances?

- Milly
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions...l-combinations

While this is for Trinity I think it might be relevant. English Literature and Religious are both A2 and English Language is B, but it mentions that English Language is suitable for Arts subjects. I don't know much about HSPS but it might be acceptable here (I think it is counted as an Arts subject?), so your course choices should be fine. If you look on that, even if you had done Archaeology and Sociology (from a quick look on HSPS it seems to have some of that?) you wouldn't be any better off.

As for feeling a bit under average, 5A*/5A/1B is amazing! I have an offer for NatSci and I got more or less the same (6A*/3A/2B) so don't think they will hold you back too much (assuming that the A*s were in relevant subjects? For me my Bs were Drama and German so I don't think they saw them as too relevant), and 4As at AS is brilliant (but the higher the UMS the better). I notice that a lot of people on here have very good scores, but remember that this isn't necessarily representative of all applicants - better statistics can be found online. Also people can lie in the internet, so don't be too downhearted by it.

Good luck!

TP2.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by ThatPerson2)
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions...l-combinations

While this is for Trinity I think it might be relevant. English Literature and Religious are both A2 and English Language is B, but it mentions that English Language is suitable for Arts subjects. I don't know much about HSPS but it might be acceptable here (I think it is counted as an Arts subject?), so your course choices should be fine. If you look on that, even if you had done Archaeology and Sociology (from a quick look on HSPS it seems to have some of that?) you wouldn't be any better off.

As for feeling a bit under average, 5A*/5A/1B is amazing! I have an offer for NatSci and I got more or less the same (6A*/3A/2B) so don't think they will hold you back too much (assuming that the A*s were in relevant subjects? For me my Bs were Drama and German so I don't think they saw them as too relevant), and 4As at AS is brilliant (but the higher the UMS the better). I notice that a lot of people on here have very good scores, but remember that this isn't necessarily representative of all applicants - better statistics can be found online. Also people can lie in the internet, so don't be too downhearted by it.

Good luck!

TP2.
    Trinity is a bit "stricter" than other colleges.

OP check the HSPS entry requirements - but I'm sure you're fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.