Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

are rape jokes considered worse than murder jokes? if so, why? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I guess there's a grossness to rape and a creepiness, but I'd rather be raped than murdered (though I am male), as at least there's some hope of a future with being raped.

But it seems to me that some murder jokes are acceptable, but no rape jokes are acceptable.

What is the solution? No rape or murder jokes? Rape and murder jokes?

ReputationRep:
    I don't even know where to start on this.

ReputationRep:
    Usually I find "forced" jokes (y know, stuff with a punchline and stuff) about rape not funny, but I think that's more to do with a humour thing rather than me finding the idea of joking about rape morally abhorrent, seeing as I'm chill with 9/11 jokes and such.

EDIT: In semi-related news, I just realised I've unintentionally made a rape pun in the first 5 words of my post. oops

ReputationRep:
    Why make jokes on any of them!
    However, sometimes saying
    'Shutup or I'll kill you' as a joke to someone is way more acceptable than saying
    'SHUTUP or I'll rape you'
    ^ imo anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Murder victims are dead so they can't be offended I guess, unlike the rape victims.

ReputationRep:
    I think the thing is for me that I personally don't mind any jokes even if it is about me or something like rape.

but the thing is when you are telling a rape joke 99% of people telling them don't condone rape or anything like it, I just feel like humor is good in nearly every situation.
    I made a joke about black people today and people laughed but I have no problem with any kind of people thus it is a joke and not me trying to be racist to prove a point.
    but be careful with it as some people don't take it this way

ReputationRep:
    I think that most men do not think of themselves as potential rape victims, so rape jokes are usually more one-sided than murder jokes. For a man joking about other men getting raped (e.g. football players, mates etc.) is a genuine joke because in their mind it is an obvious lie - and good lies can be genuinely funny. Then they just transfer this to girls too because boys are not the most intelligent or sensitive creatures.

I don't know any "murder jokes" BTW - anyone care to enlighten me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    I think that most men do not think of themselves as potential rape victims, so rape jokes are usually more one-sided than murder jokes. For a man joking about other men getting raped (e.g. football players, mates etc.) is a genuine joke because in their mind it is an obvious lie - and good lies can be genuinely funny. Then they just transfer this to girls too because boys are not the most intelligent or sensitive creatures.

yes us dumb insensitive boys eh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)

I just made one and it got likes on here

Did you hear about the 2 foot man who was murdered by the 8 foot man? He was six feet under.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    yes us dumb insensitive boys eh
    Yeah, pretty much. I work with a lot of intelligent men and I've yet to hear a rape joke from any of them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anything shouldn't be joked about. If people want to tell rape jokes or murder jokes within their group of mates, let them be, freedom of speech. Trying to censor people's conversations is worse than joking about rape imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llys)
    Yeah, pretty much. I work with a lot of intelligent men and I've yet to hear a rape joke from any of them.
    Doesn't mean that making rape jokes makes you dumber, or that smart people cant make jokes about touchy subjects.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I find that the people that usually say rape jokes aren't that funny.....

Personally I've got no grudges against any jokes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samharrison)
    I'd rather be raped than murdered (though I am male)
    I reckon it's more damaging for a male to be raped in a psychological sense. Don't quote me on that, but the loss of masculinity and all that jazz I'm sure makes things worse.

ReputationRep:
    Why must one be worse than the other? They're both terrible things, and honestly we shouldn't be making fun of either of the two.

ReputationRep:
    rape jokes ain't funny because the person is still alive and dealing with that ****
    murder jokes actually can be funny not gonna lie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samharrison)
    I guess there's a grossness to rape and a creepiness, but I'd rather be raped than murdered (though I am male), as at least there's some hope of a future with being raped.

But it seems to me that some murder jokes are acceptable, but no rape jokes are acceptable.

What is the solution? No rape or murder jokes? Rape and murder jokes?

ReputationRep:
    well murder, while unpleasant, relates to death which everybody will go through eventually so it can seem that we are 'entitled' to joke about it whereas with rape, most people would rather distance themselves from any involvement with the subject as it seems so incredibly upsetting, also more attention is brought to the victims of rape as they would still be living and going through an ordeal. In addition, murder is part of our history as twisted as that sounds and so is widely talked about and is a much less taboo subject. I don't particularly think either subject is particularly laughable though

ReputationRep:
    The fact that the prevalence of suicidal thoughts and attempted suicides are significantly higher amongst rape victims than the rest of the population may suggest otherwise.

You should practice some empathy perhaps, it's a good trait to have. Rather than ask random strangers online, why not try and answer the question yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Worse than murder jokes but not as bad as 9/11 jokes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.