Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I have been thinking about my options recently and I have two combinations:

(All core subjects including triple science)

German or Geography
    French French
    History History
    Art Art

Originally I wanted to do RS, German, History, Art but as RS was oversubscribed, I had to change that one to something else in the same block (block 2) - French, DT, PE or Music, and I don't enjoy any of them at all apart from French! I enjoy languages but I like German much more than French, so I definitely want to do German, and if I pick French from that block then that would mean doing two language GCSEs. I hard it's quite hard but then simpler if you have a natural flair for languages, which I think I do (I already have my GCSE Japanese A* from last year). But then as I have already done a language and also probably going to do another language anyway for GCSE (German), then is there any point in taking French too? As I have heard from other forums that unis might like the traditional subjects more, eg Geography, History, so would I be better off doing Geography instead of German and choosing French (only one language)? But I have also heard that they don't really look at which subjects you took, just how many A*...

What do you think? Thank you!

(By the way I am not considering doing a language for A Level or uni. Medicine sounds more fun to me

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!

If you plan to do Medicine, then some of your options are pretty decent for that.

If you plan to do Medcine, I recommend that you do not take Art as it is purely for non-scientific subjects.
    On the other hand, if you choose two humanities subjects and excel at them, then this can look pretty good in your resume. So Geography and History sound very decent.
    As far as languages, French is probably better. I do not know the exact reason, but my teachers say that it is better than German. It depends what language you personally like - you should choose that one.

Good luck with your options! Message me if you want to talk further.

Leo
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Med only focus on the sciences and then the other subjects as a backup, since you got 3 good academic subjects, i dont see why you shouldnt take art, just for a creative side. there's no harm in it

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I would go with what you enjoy doing the most! You seem to enjoy languages (congrats on the A* in Japanese) so I would go with the languages option over Geography! After all, you don't want to be stuck in a class you don't enjoy so won't have the motivation or interest to really get stuck into it!

Universities will look at what you achieved across all your GCSEs, they don't really look at what GCSEs you did. If you want to do medicine, obviously sciences are very important but having a flair for languages can be very impressive!

Even if you do choose geography over German, I would still try to retain and learn the language on free apps like duolingo as, when you apply to jobs, they are impressed by those who know more than one language!

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by axolottis)
    So I have been thinking about my options recently and I have two combinations:

(All core subjects including triple science)

German or Geography
    French French
    History History
    Art Art

Originally I wanted to do RS, German, History, Art but as RS was oversubscribed, I had to change that one to something else in the same block (block 2) - French, DT, PE or Music, and I don't enjoy any of them at all apart from French! I enjoy languages but I like German much more than French, so I definitely want to do German, and if I pick French from that block then that would mean doing two language GCSEs. I hard it's quite hard but then simpler if you have a natural flair for languages, which I think I do (I already have my GCSE Japanese A* from last year). But then as I have already done a language and also probably going to do another language anyway for GCSE (German), then is there any point in taking French too? As I have heard from other forums that unis might like the traditional subjects more, eg Geography, History, so would I be better off doing Geography instead of German and choosing French (only one language)? But I have also heard that they don't really look at which subjects you took, just how many A*...

What do you think? Thank you!

(By the way I am not considering doing a language for A Level or uni. Medicine sounds more fun to me
    I think that you should take art, as you haven't chosen a creative arts yet. Also If you have a knack for learning languages I recommend you to take both French and German. And then finally chose between history/geography. Taking all these subjects shows that your an all rounded person, so yes take art. However it's your choice to chose between geography or history. In my opinion geography is easier, where as for history you have to do a lot of writing, and it's just not my thing. Also don't worry too much about uni's yet, they don't really care about gcse's but since you want to get into medicine aim for all A*'s. That's all, hope this helps

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.