Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    a compund containing 84.21% carbon and 15.79% hydrogen by mass has a realtive molecular formula mass of 114. find its molecular formula

ReputationRep:
    Ok this is on a bit of a tangent. Do you guys feel that these notes are good enough for a student aiming for an A*. C0balt has set the bar too high on this one This note is supposed to cover the entire ionisation energy part.

Notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaWolfZ)
    Ok this is on a bit of a tangent. Do you guys feel that these notes are good enough for a student aiming for an A*. C0balt has set the bar too high on this one This note is supposed to cover the entire ionisation energy part.

Notes:
    Spoiler:
    Show

[img]http://imgur.com/N7gutXe.jpg[/img]
    There are a few things I would change. Firstly for definition, I personally use 'the energy required to remove 1 mole of gaseous electrons from one mole of gaseous atoms to form one mole of gaseous 1+ ions'. The reason for this is that if they instead asked me for the 2nd IE definition all i need to change is atoms to 1+ ions and 1+ ions to 2+ ions. I would also personally have explicitly mentioned and explained the trend across and down the table, as well as explicitly explaining why there are some exceptions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    There are a few things I would change. Firstly for definition, I personally use 'the energy required to remove 1 mole of gaseous electrons from one mole of gaseous atoms to form one mole of gaseous 1+ ions'. The reason for this is that if they instead asked me for the 2nd IE definition all i need to change is atoms to 1+ ions and 1+ ions to 2+ ions. I would also personally have explicitly mentioned and explained the trend across and down the table, as well as explicitly explaining why there are some exceptions
    WTF is a gaseous electron? His definition is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    There are a few things I would change. Firstly for definition, I personally use 'the energy required to remove 1 mole of gaseous electrons from one mole of gaseous atoms to form one mole of gaseous 1+ ions'. The reason for this is that if they instead asked me for the 2nd IE definition all I need to change is atoms to 1+ ions and 1+ ions to 2+ ions. I would also personally have explicitly mentioned and explained the trend across and down the table, as well as explicitly explaining why there are some exceptions
    The definition was from my textbook so I don't know. I did include the trends in the other pictures, was just wondering if it was sufficient enough in terms of depth. My Mother thought it wasn't enough for someone aiming for an A*, but didn't know if it was ok at this level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    WTF is a gaseous electron? His definition is fine.
    Thanks, a sigh of relief there mate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsastudentyo)
    a compund containing 84.21% carbon and 15.79% hydrogen by mass has a realtive molecular formula mass of 114. find its molecular formula
    First you have to find the Empirical formula, the question gave you the percentage of each atom, those percentages ads to 100 which means there is no other atom but C,H
    You treat the percentages as the masses of each atom, okay so to find the number of moles, Mass/Mr , then you divide on the smallest number of moles to find the mole ratio, the numbers have to be integers.

To find the molecular formula, you need to find n which is the Mr of molecular formula/Mr of empirical formula

Name:  1459348821859.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  41.9 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  378.5 KBCan anyone help me draw out this structure? Its suppost to be a primary and a secondary alcohol but im confused on the secondary alcohol and the wedges. 😳😓

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here do ocr salters b?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ss0)
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  378.5 KBCan anyone help me draw out this structure? Its suppost to be a primary and a secondary alcohol but im confused on the secondary alcohol and the wedges. 😳😓

It's easier if you just ignore the wedges and pretend they're lines because the wedges just show it's 3D. The first wedge is a methyl group and the second one is an -OH group so it's 3-methyloctan-1,4-diol, hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with this? How many proton environments are there ?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exotic-L)
    Can someone help me with this? How many proton environments are there ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SSD07)
    Anyone here do ocr salters b?
    Yepp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mac.Doll)
    Yepp
    do you know if theres a thread for our course???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mac.Doll)
    Yepp
    also how are you revising for F334 and F335??
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SSD07)
    also how are you revising for F334 and F335??
    Yeahh sadily Im doing it too!! I've been making flow charts from storylines and then making notes from Chemical ideas but mainly calculation question from past papers and the problems after each chapter in the book

I also need to focus on F332 because Im resitting it!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FemaleBo55)
    Yeahh sadily Im doing it too!! I've been making flow charts from storylines and then making notes from Chemical ideas but mainly calculation question from past papers and the problems after each chapter in the book

I also need to focus on F332 because Im resitting it!!!!
    okay cool I have been making notes from chemical ideas and storylines but i wasn't sure if i was wasting time or not. I do find making notes, especially for our spec helps since the information is all over the place. I need to start practicing paper though asap!!

ahh im resisting F332 too, i looked back at it and actually forgot how much content there is for it
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by SSD07)
    okay cool I have been making notes from chemical ideas and storylines but i wasn't sure if i was wasting time or not. I do find making notes, especially for our spec helps since the information is all over the place. I need to start practicing paper though asap!!

ahh im resisting F332 too, i looked back at it and actually forgot how much content there is for it
    How much have you odne though lol??? For some reason I find AI annoying, SS hard but I love TL and MR

ReputationRep:
    In nucleophilic substitution reactions is the nucleophile dissolved in ethanol or the haloalkane?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FemaleBo55)
    How much have you odne though lol??? For some reason I find AI annoying, SS hard but I love TL and MR
    I have made all my notes for MR, half of WM, and half of TL... that its its taking ages, I'm gonna spend more time on it next week, and actually start past papers.

I love WM, love MR, i can't stand TL!! as i don't do biology so i find a lot of the protein stuff hard, I quite like SS but theres loads for it!

how much have you done???

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 22, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.