ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayerBB)
    What about if you try to draw it and we will help you where you went wrong
    Sorry for bad diagram :sName:  8.png
Views: 119
Size:  3.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    What does the free radical substitution mechanism look like for methane + chlorine. I know the steps but don't know how to draw it :s
    Check your specification. You are unlikely to have to draw a mechanism with curly arrows. If you are expected to do this then you must use single headed arrows.

ReputationRep:
    See attached
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeachChemistry)
    See attached
    Thanks - my exam board is AQA. I think I just need to learn the initiation, propagation etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeachChemistry)
    See attached
    I think there is no need for the arrow from the unpaired electron, as in the book, it doesn't show it....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    Thanks - my exam board is AQA. I think I just need to learn the initiation, propagation etc.
    Check your specification to make sure you don't need to know the mechanism and that you're only required to know the equations as for Edexcel, the mechanism is required for an As student

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayerBB)
    Check your specification to make sure you don't need to know the mechanism and that you're only required to know the equations as for Edexcel, the mechanism is required for an As student

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is from the spec - i think its only the steps i need to know

Students should be able to explain this reaction as a
    free-radical substitution mechanism involving initiation,propagation and termination step

ReputationRep:
    Free radical substitution for methane+Cl
    Intiation
    Cl--->2Cl°
    Propagation step 1:
    CH4+Cl°---->HCl+CH3°
    Propagation step 2:
    CH3°+Cl2------>CH3Cl+Cl°
    Termination step
    Cl°+Cl°--->Cl2
    CH3°+CH3°---->C2H6
    CH3°+Cl°---->CH3Cl
    Hope i was of use :-)

ReputationRep:
    Name:  chem.png
Views: 118
Size:  28.2 KBneed help solving this acid hydrolysis. why does it form NH2+ instead of NH3+ salt ?!??

ReputationRep:
    My 2nd Chem exam is in 8 weeks but (my last exam) but I barely know any of AS Organics and its really, even 30 pages in the CGP book lmao.

How would you revise for the topic bearing in mind i haven't even learnt it i guess.

ReputationRep:
    anybody doing 3T ISA

ReputationRep:
    For the Oxidation of an Alcohol, can you just write [O] and where do you put the K2Cr2O7 or H2SO4 in the reaction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rtdsv)
    For the Oxidation of an Alcohol, can you just write [O] and where do you put the K2Cr2O7 or H2SO4 in the reaction
    Please could you post the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rtdsv)
    My 2nd Chem exam is in 8 weeks but (my last exam) but I barely know any of AS Organics and its really, even 30 pages in the CGP book lmao.

How would you revise for the topic bearing in mind i haven't even learnt it i guess.
    Try to understand why mechanisms proceed via the pathway you are shown, that'll help you to remember them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rtdsv)

Your exam is in 8 weeks, spend a week of your life and learn As organics like I suggest from the actual book then revise from the CGP. Organics is a really understandable topic if you put on the effort and the correct mid set to actually learn it instead of spending questions for waste

ReputationRep:
    Anyone resitting the Chemistry EMPA from last year ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FREYA2898)
    Anyone resitting the Chemistry EMPA from last year ??
    I am! I've done both tasks

ReputationRep:
    How much of the specification have you guys covered, apparently we wont be able to finish it in enough time

ReputationRep:
    "Calculate the standard enthalpy change of solution of Lithium fluoride, LiF, using the relevant data from your data book"

How would I do this? What data am I looking for in my data book? Lattice enthalpy, atomisation enthalpy, electron affinity etc etc..what do I do basically haha?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zain-A)
    "Calculate the standard enthalpy change of solution of Lithium fluoride, LiF, using the relevant data from your data book"

How would I do this? What data am I looking for in my data book? Lattice enthalpy, atomisation enthalpy, electron affinity etc etc..what do I do basically haha?
    You should be given values for either lattice dissociation or lattice formation and the enthalpy of hydration of lithium and fluoride.
    The equation is either:
    Lattice dissociation + hydration of fluoride + hydration of lithium
    Or
    -lattice formation + hydration of fluoride + hydration of lithium

I don't know if that helped if you could post the question Ill help you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 22, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.