Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why is 6 the most common coordination number for transition metals

ReputationRep:
    AQA is possible please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowninja107)
    Why is 6 the most common coordination number for transition metals
    Because (in low spin complexes) you can get 18 electrons in low lying orbitals.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Need major help on redox please and free radical substitution, i don't understand it at all, how do you work it out?

Thanks

x

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me out please?

When CrO4 2- reacts with H+ ions to form Cr2O7 2- what do you call that? Is it reduction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiney101)
    Can someone help me out please?

When CrO4 2- reacts with H+ ions to form Cr2O7 2- what do you call that? Is it reduction?
    Oxidation state of Cr in CrO4 2- is +6.
    Oxidation state of Cr in Cr2O7 2- is +6

Therefore not a redox reaction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamuelN98)
    Do either of you have the answers to the questions from the practical book?
    i cant find them anywhere.
    They could be on Maths and Physics Tutor? I've never looked for them if I'm honest.. 🙊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farihak97)
    Hi,

Need major help on redox please and free radical substitution, i don't understand it at all, how do you work it out?

Thanks

x
    What do you need to know about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamuelN98)
    Oxidation state of Cr in CrO4 2- is +6.
    Oxidation state of Cr in Cr2O7 2- is +6

Therefore not a redox reaction
    So what would you call this reaction?

ReputationRep:
    I don`t know exactly as its not on my syllabus, i was just making an educated guess. I think you would call it an equilibrium reaction.
    This may help.
    http://www.slideshare.net/pieferrer/...te-equilibrium

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiiten)
    What do you need to know about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi,

It's just general, i don't understand how to make the overall equations in redox, i struggle with it, i can do the first half equation bit for example,

Al+3 -> Al+ + 3e- , however i am unable to do the overall equations could you give some examples and explain on how to do it please.

Thank you Kitten

x

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

It's just general, i don't understand how to make the overall equations in redox, i struggle with it, i can do the first half equation bit for example,

Al+3 -> Al+ + 3e- , however i am unable to do the overall equations could you give some examples and explain on how to do it please.

Thank you Kitten

x
    Yeah sure, ill try find some examples for tomorrow

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    Could someone explain to me how to draw complexes with a coordination number of 6.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thank you Kitten

x
    Consider the equations:

Cl2 + 2e- -----> 2Cl-
    Fe2+ -------> Fe3+ + e-

Do you understand what is happening in both these half equations? If so how would you combine for a redox equation (ill tell you if you go wrong)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A mixture of 1 mole of ethanoic acid, 2 moles of ethanoic and 1 mole of water was allowed to reach EQM. On analysis, the EQM mixture was found to contain 0.257 mole of ethanoic acid. Find Kc for the reaction...CH3C00H+C2H5OH----><----CH3C00C2H5+ H20

The answer I get is 1.31, my tutor says it's '4 something'. Please help

ReputationRep:
    Okay, Thank you so much. Unfortunately i don't know how to do it.ACE- i know that i'm meant to look at the atom, then the charges and finally the electrons.Could you, please show me how to make the overall question with this question, I know the first part of the half equation, which isFe2+ Fe3+ + 1e-How do you work out the second half equation and the overall.Thank you so much for helping me Kiiten means a lotFe2+ + MnO4- Fe3+ + Mn2+Please help.

Consider the equations:

Cl2 + 2e- -----> 2Cl-
    Fe2+ -------> Fe3+ + e-

Do you understand what is happening in both these half equations? If so how would you combine for a redox equation (ill tell you if you go wrong)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Okay, Thank you so much. Unfortunately i don't know how to do it.ACE- i know that i'm meant to look at the atom, then the charges and finally the electrons.Could you, please show me how to make the overall question with this question, I know the first part of the half equation, which isFe2+ Fe3+ + 1e-How do you work out the second half equation and the overall.Thank you so much for helping me Kiiten means a lotFe2+ + MnO4- Fe3+ + Mn2+Please help.
    No problem

I think you're getting the method confused. First, we need to balance the electrons in order to combine them to make a redox equation. Cl2 + 2e- -----> 2Cl- has 2e- but Fe2+ -------> Fe3+ + e- has 1 electron. So you need to multiply the second equation by 2 to get 2Fe2+ -------> 2Fe3+ + 2e-

Now you can combine the equations. Starting with the reactants: the 2e- cancel out (because they're on opposite sides of the arrow) leaving you with Cl2 + 2Fe2+ as the reactants. Same with the products, just add the 2Fe3+ + 2Cl-

This gives you a final equation of:
    Cl2 + 2Fe2+ ------------> 2Fe3+ + 2Cl-

Make sense?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Is there any technique you guys use when doing Nmr questions ( all analysis questions really)? I usually end up getting the right answers but I just take too much time (usually 25-30 mins for a question) lol - I'm worried I wont be able to finish on time in the exams

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, that makes so much sense, i tried a few questions and i checked the answers and they were right. Thank you so so much.

No problem

I think you're getting the method confused. First, we need to balance the electrons in order to combine them to make a redox equation. Cl2 + 2e- -----> 2Cl- has 2e- but Fe2+ -------> Fe3+ + e- has 1 electron. So you need to multiply the second equation by 2 to get 2Fe2+ -------> 2Fe3+ + 2e-

Now you can combine the equations. Starting with the reactants: the 2e- cancel out (because they're on opposite sides of the arrow) leaving you with Cl2 + 2Fe2+ as the reactants. Same with the products, just add the 2Fe3+ + 2Cl-

This gives you a final equation of:
    Cl2 + 2Fe2+ ------------> 2Fe3+ + 2Cl-

Make sense?

ReputationRep:
    it is an equilibrium reaction because the ions exist in different solutions. The yellow chromate ion CrO42- is only stable in alkali solutions, while the orange dichromate ion Cr2O72- is stable in acid solutions (which is why you need to add H+ ions)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 22, 2018

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.