Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science_help)
    I got a notif that you tagged me in something ?...
    Tbh I don't really remember :/

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know the actual experiments that require reflux because they change from textbook to textbook???

ReputationRep:
    h ttp://www.chatzy.com/27882973356288 please join guys, can quickfire questions for f324 tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I posted this as a separate thread (unanswered).... might as well delete that one and ask here?

CH3 COOH(l) + CH3 CH2 OH(l) <reversible react.>CH3 COOCH2 CH3 (l) + H2 O(l)

Initial concentration
    -------------------------------
    CH3COOH - 0.4 mol
    CH3CH2OH - 0.3 mol
    CH3COOCH2CH3 - 0.00 mol
    H20 - 0.15

Equilibrium concentration
    ----------------------------------
    CH3COOH - 0.2 mol
    CH3CH2OH - UNKNOWN
    CH3COOCH2CH3 - UNKNOWN
    H20 - UNKNOWN

Q1) Find the unknown values

EDIT: Does anyone know how to delete a thread? I cannot find the button :/

ReputationRep:
    Name:  20160613_131533.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  233.5 KB

Sorry for bad quality an messy writing but could anyone let me know why the answer i gabe was wrong. Why doesnt it split to produce the fragment that i suggested?

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Can anyone clarify what we need to know about transesterification to produce margarine in edexcel chem 4?

ReputationRep:
    A moments silence please, for our fallen brothers and sisters, who gave their all today. Never before have so few students, been owed so much by the exam boards. RIP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NimbleNeil)
    A moments silence please, for our fallen brothers and sisters, who gave their all today. Never before have so few students, been owed so much by the exam boards. RIP.
    Sack up.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know any good books for Edexcel AS?A level Chemistry? The one by Ann Fullick and Bob McDuell is apparently not that great!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihaspotato)
    I posted this as a separate thread (unanswered).... might as well delete that one and ask here?

CH3 COOH(l) + CH3 CH2 OH(l) <reversible react.>CH3 COOCH2 CH3 (l) + H2 O(l)

Initial concentration
    -------------------------------
    CH3COOH - 0.4 mol
    CH3CH2OH - 0.3 mol
    CH3COOCH2CH3 - 0.00 mol
    H20 - 0.15

Equilibrium concentration
    ----------------------------------
    CH3COOH - 0.2 mol
    CH3CH2OH - UNKNOWN
    CH3COOCH2CH3 - UNKNOWN
    H20 - UNKNOWN

Q1) Find the unknown values

EDIT: Does anyone know how to delete a thread? I cannot find the button :/
    Are you sure that H20 isn't zero? It should be I think? As it is a produc and the initial number of moles should be zero...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Sack up.
    What does that mean :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NimbleNeil)
    What does that mean :rolleyes:
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...term=sack%20up

ReputationRep:
    Why is the electrode postive at the site of reduction in an electrochemical cell?

I'm not sure id be able to answer that well if they asked that in an exam :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wwwwwwwwwwwf)
    Why is the electrode postive at the site of reduction in an electrochemical cell?

I'm not sure id be able to answer that well if they asked that in an exam :/
    Reduction is gain... so I'm guessing all the negative species are attracted by the positive electrode to become oxidised?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K3001N)
    Reduction is gain... so I'm guessing all the negative species are attracted by the positive electrode to become oxidised?!

Name:  ec.png
Views: 156
Size:  34.7 KB

This might make it a bit more clear, reduction is happening at the Cu electrode (Cu2+ > Cu)

Cu electrode is postive, so the electrons are flowing from the Fe to the Cu electrode, but I just don't really understand why the Cu electrode is the postive electrode

ReputationRep:

This might make it a bit more clear, reduction is happening at the Cu electrode (Cu2+ > Cu)

Cu electrode is postive, so the electrons are flowing from the Fe to the Cu electrode, but I just don't really understand why the Cu electrode is the postive electrode
    Opposites attract.

ReputationRep:

Cu electrode is positive, so the electrons are flowing from the Fe to the Cu electrode, but I just don't really understand why the Cu electrode is the positive electrode
    Ahhhh, it's to do with EMF! Cu has a more positive EMF, this means it gains a positive electrode potential and its reduced. Where as Fe has a negative EMF, this means that it gains a negative electrode potential. So it donates electrons via the external circuit to the Cu.
    basically the Fe reduces the Cu and the Fe gets oxidised.

More negative the emf the more it donates electrons (becomes oxidised)
    the more positive the emf the more it accepts electrons (becomes reduced)

I think this should help!

ReputationRep:
    This is so nice!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know why with [Co(H2O)6]2+ NH3 is able to fully displaced (by ligand substitution) all the H2O molecules however with [Cu(H2O)6]2+ only 4 H2O molecules will be displaced by NH3?+

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey guys could you help me interpret proton NMR spectra?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 22, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.