Turn on thread page Beta

St Andrews Medicine Transfer After Third Year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have an interview for St Andrews to study Medicine in about 2 weeks but I'm too excited to wait until then to learn more about what happens after third year. I was wondering if anyone know the process in which St Andrew's handles how it disperses its students across the other medical schools. I applied for the "S" campus so I'll most likely be in Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow or Edinburgh but was wondering as to how they select people for each University. Thank you in advance!
    -Jimmy

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to know the answer if you ever did find out what happens after third year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fazugfx)
    Hey guys, I have an interview for St Andrews to study Medicine in about 2 weeks but I'm too excited to wait until then to learn more about what happens after third year. I was wondering if anyone know the process in which St Andrew's handles how it disperses its students across the other medical schools. I applied for the "S" campus so I'll most likely be in Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow or Edinburgh but was wondering as to how they select people for each University. Thank you in advance!
    -Jimmy
    They rank you based on your 2nd year 1st semester grades and give you your first choice based on your preference.

You can also apply outside of the system to other schools, usually several students a year will end up at other British or International schools, people have gone to Cambridge, McMaster, King's, UCL etc.

ReputationRep:
    How does the process of applying outside the system work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Voraw)
    How does the process of applying outside the system work?
    You apply directly to the medical school you want to go to for clinicals - they have to be happy to accept transfers, you need a letter of recommendation from the Dean of medicine at St Andrews and there's sometimes an application form to fill out (e.g. in the case of applying to Cambridge), and you go for interview. You can do this alongside your allocation for the usual St Andrews partner schools, so you're guaranteed a place somewhere.

Incidentally this thread is 2 years old

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 30, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.