Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I'm currently in year 12 and thinking about self-teaching A-level English Literature next year and taking the course privately. I'm not too fussed about the fact that universities don't care if students take more than 3 A-levels. If I end up doing this, do I even have to mention that it was self-taught or examined privately? In effect, will it look different to the A-levels I am taking with my sixth form?
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    Normally people who self-study A levels enter them in a slightly different way on their UCAS forum. For example, if you were going to do your final exam in 2017 then you'd put "June 2017-June 2017; part-time" - if you do an English A level completely independently and with no school input then you should use the same format. You don't need to mention it on your personal statement if you don't want to.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

    All the essentials

    The adventure begins mug

    Student life: what to expect

    What it's really like going to uni


    Essay expert

    Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

    Uni match

    Uni match

    Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

    Study planner

    Create a study plan

    Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

    Study planner

    Resources by subject

    Everything from mind maps to class notes.

    Hands typing

    Degrees without fees

    Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

    A student doing homework

    Study tips from A* students

    Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

    Study help links and info

    Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

    Sponsored content:



    Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.