Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am in my first year of college and I want to start working out. My college has a gym which I have access to, but I can only go in my free periods, which are only on 3 days of the week. I don't know if 3 times a week is enough, because I cannot go to a gym on the weekends. I have a free period on wednesday which I use to go home early, one in between lessons on a thursday which I work in and one on friday morning which is when I sleep in. Should I start going to the gym or use these free periods to study in?

- My subjects are Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology

ReputationRep:
    depends on what you feel is more important, A*s or your body

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Tbh they're both important.....time management is key though
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    3x a week is plenty on a good routine. Sessions of around an hour -1.5 hours are also just fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Try look at the StrongLifts 5x5 workout routine. its designed for strength and conditioning and requires little equipment. The guy uses a squat rack, but i find it isnt necessary.
    It consists of squats, bench press, deadlifts, barbell rows, and OHP. It can be suited to you. The program consists of three exercises, for 5 sets for 5 reps.
    Day one - Squats 5x5; Bench press 5x5; deadlift 5x5
    Day two - Squats 5x5; OHP 5X5; Barbell row 5x5
    The complete workout can be done easily in 30 minutes.
    You can add assistance exercises such as pressups and situps if you feel like it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam Barrier)
    Try look at the StrongLifts 5x5 workout routine. its designed for strength and conditioning and requires little equipment. The guy uses a squat rack, but i find it isnt necessary.
    It consists of squats, bench press, deadlifts, barbell rows, and OHP. It can be suited to you. The program consists of three exercises, for 5 sets for 5 reps.
    You can add assistance exercises such as pressups and situps if you feel like it.
    Thanks a lot for the detail and for the help. If this takes roughly 30 minutes, I could do 30 minutes of cardio as well. Should I do this before or after the weight training?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I'm doing a2 now and I've been lifting since GCSE's-ish and it hasn't impacted my grades. I go before college or after

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    doing 3 hours a week of exercise is not going to stop you studying enough if you're sensible about your time management, exercise should give you more energy, help you sleep better and help you manage your stress levels on the run up to exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    doing 3 hours a week of exercise is not going to stop you studying enough if you're sensible about your time management, exercise should give you more energy, help you sleep better and help you manage your stress levels on the run up to exams
    Thanks for that , this is what I was thinking when I wanted to start working out, glad someone else sees the point :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam Barrier)
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    3x a week is plenty on a good routine. Sessions of around an hour -1.5 hours are also just fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The problem is, the free periods they have are on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I dont think any regular 3 day full body programs done 3 days in a row would be a good idea. Not sure what to suggest because they haven't stated their training goals, but I can't imagine 5x5 squats on 3 consecutive days would last very long.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squats and milk)
    The problem is, the free periods they have are on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I dont think any regular 3 day full body programs done 3 days in a row would be a good idea. Not sure what to suggest because they haven't stated their training goals, but I can't imagine 5x5 squats on 3 consecutive days would last very long.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Good point, I should have mentioned my goals. I would like to lose fat. You also saw the issue with me working out with my time schedule - three consecutive days with no rest days between. This is why I am so apprehensive to start working out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.