Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I can't get help for depression? Watch

I've been depressed from a young age. The first time i noticed it was when I was 8 (though it probably started before that). I'm now 16. Over a year ago now, my mum realised something was wrong when I started struggling to get out of bed. However, it was only a couple of months ago that my mum finally took me to the doctors.

I've been to five different doctors now. I've seen a counsellor (who made me feel like she wasn't listening and I found myself repeating the same things every session) and an NHS school nurse (who when I said I didn't know why I feel the way I do, she said "I think you do know, you just don't want to tell me" ).
    The most recent doctor I saw told me that she couldn't do anything and it was all up to my school. She said that she can't refer me to CAMHS because I don't have behavioural issues. My school haven't done anything, despite knowing I have been self harming for a few years now.

I feel like I've exhausted my options. I don't know how to get help anymore. I feel like nothing's going to change, regardless of how much I push for help.
    Any advice? I feel so lost.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I don't want this to sound dismissive in any way but are you sure you have depression? Is it just that you can't get out of bed or are there other issues you haven't written about here? Just as you have seen a lot of doctors etc so perhaps the issue is something else. I am unsure why you need behavioural issues to be referred to CAMHS, unless they mean things such as self harm or struggling to manage day to day situations somehow? It's hard to know.

Sorry, I am not sure I am being much use to you. You may be able to get counselling or other support from some sort of charity in your area or self refer to certain services. Try and google "Mental health support in [insert your area]" or "Free counselling in [your area]". There are obviously a few things you can do for yourself such as exercise, eating healthily, getting the right amount of sleep, writing down your feelings and other stuff like that.

Hope this helps in some way

Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy? I have had depression and anxiety before, and it was kind of helpful, we tried breathing exercises, trying the find the roots of it, and positive thinking patterns. But he was a good therapist. I had one previously, who just listened and didn't really do anything else, and just offered medication which I didn't really want.
    You can get through this, trust me, as the most important thing is to be willing to accept and try help which you are already trying to do.
    If that doesn't work, maybe try some self help books?

Also expressing your feeling creatively can help-dance, art, music and writing

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy? I have had depression and anxiety before, and it was kind of helpful, we tried breathing exercises, trying the find the roots of it, and positive thinking patterns. But he was a good therapist. I had one previously, who just listened and didn't really do anything else, and just offered medication which I didn't really want.
    You can get through this, trust me, as the most important thing is to be willing to accept and try help which you are already trying to do.
    I meant If the cbt doesn't work, you could try the self help books
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I've been depressed from a young age. The first time i noticed it was when I was 8 (though it probably started before that). I'm now 16. Over a year ago now, my mum realised something was wrong when I started struggling to get out of bed. However, it was only a couple of months ago that my mum finally took me to the doctors.

I've been to five different doctors now. I've seen a counsellor (who made me feel like she wasn't listening and I found myself repeating the same things every session) and an NHS school nurse (who when I said I didn't know why I feel the way I do, she said "I think you do know, you just don't want to tell me" ).
    The most recent doctor I saw told me that she couldn't do anything and it was all up to my school. She said that she can't refer me to CAMHS because I don't have behavioural issues. My school haven't done anything, despite knowing I have been self harming for a few years now.

I feel like I've exhausted my options. I don't know how to get help anymore. I feel like nothing's going to change, regardless of how much I push for help.
    Hiya :hugs:

Why do you think you're depressed? I'm jist curious, as a mh sufferer myself.

Also, that's the first time I've heard of needing behavioural issues to be referred to CAMHS? That's odd. Is there any other doctor you can see?

ReputationRep:
    I meant If the cbt doesn't work, you could try the self help books
    Self help books are a form of CBT also try mindfulness- try the headspace trial.

I don't have access to CBT since the docs a pretty much saying they're helpless in the situation and it has to be done through school. I've looked into self help things before, but didn't have much impact.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people always questioned when it comes to mental health? 'Why do you think you're depressed?'

To answer your question, just be aware of your age and the hormonal changes occurring in your body - this can seriously affect your mood. I went through a bout of what I believe was depression during sixth form; it was horrendous. I'm now 21 and I'm really quite happy.

My point is you may not always feel like this, things pass. Talk to your close friends/a close friend about it

(Original post by Airmed)
    Hiya :hugs:

Why do you think you're depressed? I'm jist curious, as a mh sufferer myself.

Also, that's the first time I've heard of needing behavioural issues to be referred to CAMHS? That's odd. Is there any other doctor you can see?
    I'm constantly feeling negative, and in my 'happy moments' my mood is only slightly lifted. I always feel heavy, I struggle to get out of bed and do day to day activities. I'm always tired, but I can never sleep. I don't enjoy anything, and have struggles with motivation and concentration. My mind is just always cluttered with negative thoughts and it gets really overwhelming and I sometimes end up doing reckless/impulsive things.

My doctors seem to be really stupid. Though, I struggled to tell them everything since I was sat with my mum. I know I'll be able to go alone now I've turned 16 but I'm really introverted and struggle to get across exactly what's going on. The most recent doctor was the only w=one at the practice who told me she wasn't able to do anything, the others just kind of mulled it over a little and didn't say much. But she basically said that I have to go through school to get any counselling and that I can't get diagnosed or have any medication until I'm 18.
    I leave school at the end of June, but they're not any help anyways. I know the college I'm going to has counselling but I'm not sure I want to wait until September.

(Original post by RosieGirl)
    Why are people always questioned when it comes to mental health? 'Why do you think you're depressed?'

To answer your question, just be aware of your age and the hormonal changes occurring in your body - this can seriously affect your mood. I went through a bout of what I believe was depression during sixth form; it was horrendous. I'm now 21 and I'm really quite happy.

My point is you may not always feel like this, things pass. Talk to your close friends/a close friend about it
    Thanks
    It's just hard to see an end when it's been going on for at least 7/8 years, meaning it's probably not a hormonal thing. I talk to my sister a lot, since she's just been diagnosed with depression and she understands. She's pretty much the only person who doesn't judge me for being negative. But talking only does so much. I don't feel so alone, but I still feel stuck and helpless.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I'm constantly feeling negative, and in my 'happy moments' my mood is only slightly lifted. I always feel heavy, I struggle to get out of bed and do day to day activities. I'm always tired, but I can never sleep. I don't enjoy anything, and have struggles with motivation and concentration. My mind is just always cluttered with negative thoughts and it gets really overwhelming and I sometimes end up doing reckless/impulsive things.

My doctors seem to be really stupid. Though, I struggled to tell them everything since I was sat with my mum. I know I'll be able to go alone now I've turned 16 but I'm really introverted and struggle to get across exactly what's going on. The most recent doctor was the only w=one at the practice who told me she wasn't able to do anything, the others just kind of mulled it over a little and didn't say much. But she basically said that I have to go through school to get any counselling and that I can't get diagnosed or have any medication until I'm 18.
    I leave school at the end of June, but they're not any help anyways. I know the college I'm going to has counselling but I'm not sure I want to wait until September.
    It sounds like what I have. I'm so sorry, OP :hugs:

That's not true, you can be diagnosed and get medication under the age of 18. I would suggest going back to the doctors, any doctor, and push for it. Make sure you're heard. Being dismissed like that is ********. You could always write down what you want to say and hand it over to the doctor? I do that all the time when I meet with my mental health nurse, I keep notes of all the negative things I think and hear.

(Original post by RosieGirl)

Like I said, I only asked because I am interested in how depression affects people - it's not the same for everyone. I have dysthymia, which is chronic depression, and medication hasn't worked for me. While hormones can play a part in it, the OP should likes she should push for help It's definitely more than hormones messing around.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of negative thoughts do you get?

It sounds like what I have. I'm so sorry, OP :hugs:

That's not true, you can be diagnosed and get medication under the age of 18. I would suggest going back to the doctors, any doctor, and push for it. Make sure you're heard. Being dismissed like that is ********. You could always write down what you want to say and hand it over to the doctor? I do that all the time when I meet with my mental health nurse, I keep notes of all the negative things I think and hear.

Like I said, I only asked because I am interested in how depression affects people - it's not the same for everyone. I have dysthymia, which is chronic depression, and medication hasn't worked for me. While hormones can play a part in it, the OP should likes she should push for help It's definitely more than hormones messing around.
    Thank you
    I was talking to my sister earlier and she was saying she doesn't like our doctors either. I was thinking of talking to my mum and changing to a different practice. They told my sister, who is 18, that they can't do anything unless she's suicidal. So I definitely don't like my doctors.

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of negative thoughts do you get?
    Just really negative things about myself. Like, despite getting a B in maths I would be looking at all the things I got wrong and beating myself up about it.
    And then with family and friends I'm constantly thinking I'm just a burden to them and they're just pretending to like me. Then I'm always telling myself I'm not good at anything, that I'm not good enough.
    They kind of seem like minor things but they're pretty much constant and can be about any tiny thing that I pick up on.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Thank you
    I was talking to my sister earlier and she was saying she doesn't like our doctors either. I was thinking of talking to my mum and changing to a different practice. They told my sister, who is 18, that they can't do anything unless she's suicidal. So I definitely don't like my doctors.
    I would talk to your mum. That's wrong. I was put into the mental health services at 18 and have been tried on 5 different medications (I'm now 19). Your doctors don't seem to care. :/

ReputationRep:
    You have to just keep on going and try to sort it out yourself because no one is gonna help you

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would talk to your mum. That's wrong. I was put into the mental health services at 18 and have been tried on 5 different medications (I'm now 19). Your doctors don't seem to care. :/
    Yeah. They seem to have the mindset that if you're not going to kill yourself, then they can kind of brush it aside and tell you that it's down to your school/college.

ReputationRep:

Hi it sounds like your having a really difficult time with this. I have had it before and its not fun Have you tried calling Samaritans- I am a member and i can tell you their main role is to listen to you- we don't judge and we will take you seriously, it can be very helpful to just offload and talking to Samaritans can help you with that. There is now a free phone number (116 123 and yes that's real- but only available to those in the uk). I hope this helps good luck

ReputationRep:
    Just really negative things about myself. Like, despite getting a B in maths I would be looking at all the things I got wrong and beating myself up about it.
    And then with family and friends I'm constantly thinking I'm just a burden to them and they're just pretending to like me. Then I'm always telling myself I'm not good at anything, that I'm not good enough.
    They kind of seem like minor things but they're pretty much constant and can be about any tiny thing that I pick up on.
    The reason the doctors probably aren't doing much is that thoughts like this are pretty normal, especially during teenage years. It could just be a phase you work through, I know a lot of people that have done the same. The fact your saying this as if you 'thinking your not good enough' is an abnormal, incorrect thing is probably good because it shows at least you can still separate reality from what you know are abnormal beliefs.

Best advice is try running, reading self help books etc. If that completely fails distract yourself with homework and working so much you haven't got time to think negatively.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.