Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I apply for a placement if my degree doesn't officially have a placement year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My degree doesn't officially have an integrated placement/sandwich year but I still want to apply for placements. I found one earlier and have applied - my uni said that I could take a year leave to do it, but would the company allow this? Is there some incentive for them that they only take students on placement degrees?

Thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You would need to speak to the company about whether they would allow this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eyes_2012)
    Hi,

My degree doesn't officially have an integrated placement/sandwich year but I still want to apply for placements. I found one earlier and have applied - my uni said that I could take a year leave to do it, but would the company allow this? Is there some incentive for them that they only take students on placement degrees?

Thanks
    You would definitely need to ask the company whether they would allow this, some have rules in place that mean that they can only take on people who are at the time classed as students. No idea why that is, someone else might be able to shed light on that.

And if I remember correctly (someone correct me if I'm wrong) if you take a year out from uni (that isn't a placement year) you're no longer during that year anyway classed as a student as you're not paying tuitions fees (even on a placement year you're required to pay a reduced tuition fee). Also take into account that if you do this you will be eligible for council tax (if you're living away from home) as again because you won't be during that year classed as a student.

ReputationRep:
    Biggest is pay - if you're not a student (and you won't be in the situation you describe) then you won't get any Student Finance. A placement aimed at students is unlikely to be paid at any meaningful level (ask the company).

How are you going to pay the rent, bills, buy good, afford the bus pass, pay Council Tax etc.? Can your parents bankroll you through a full year, or do you have enough savings of your own? It could be a very expensive undertaking.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a placement as part of your degree then you still get student finance, otherwise you don't. How are you going to get the money you need to live on (plus extra, as you'll have to pay council tax as you won't be a student)?

I know these points were raised above, you need to seriously think about this. Unless you have a rich family who will support you, it's just not feasible.

Wait until after uni and find paid internships, as it'll be the same as doing it in uni but you'll at least have your degree already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Biggest is pay - if you're not a student (and you won't be in the situation you describe) then you won't get any Student Finance. A placement aimed at students is unlikely to be paid at any meaningful level (ask the company).

How are you going to pay the rent, bills, buy good, afford the bus pass, pay Council Tax etc.? Can your parents bankroll you through a full year, or do you have enough savings of your own? It could be a very expensive undertaking.
    Almost every placement i have looked at is paid (all engineering, programming and science ones though). All around the 14k mark too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    Almost every placement i have looked at is paid (all engineering, programming and science ones though). All around the 14k mark too
    Depends on the field then. You won't find a paid student placement around my subject.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.