Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am currently in fourth year and I shall be choosing my higher subjects (s5) some time during the next two months.
    The subjects which I currently study as national 5 are: English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry & Physics. I am looking to apply for medical school. Next year in S5 I will be taking Maths English Chemistry and Biology. Although I am unsure whether to continue with Physics as I believe that focussing on the other 4 subjects and maybe an easier higher may be the best option?
    Firstly, I am not sure if not taking all three would put me at a disadvantage?
    Secondly, If I don't take physics what would be a good subject to take for the 5th place for medicine?

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Med_Diablo)
    Hi,
    I am currently in fourth year and I shall be choosing my higher subjects (s5) sometime during the next two months.
    The subjects which I currently study as national 5 are English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry & Physics. I am looking to apply for medical school. Next year in S5 I will be taking Maths English Chemistry and Biology. Although I am unsure whether to continue with Physics as I believe that focussing on the other 4 subjects and maybe an easier higher may be the best option?
    Secondly, If I don't take physics what would be a good subject to take for the 5th place for medicine?

Just to let you know, English isn't required for any universities in Scotland, just at N5 level. They only ask for two from Biology, Physics and Maths, with Chemistry being compulsory. And as for your 5th subject, just pick whatever you believe you'll do best in.

In 5th year I did chem, human bio, French, physics and maths and I received conditionals. So it just depends on how well you do in them. Good luck! c:

ReputationRep:
    If you're scared you won't be able to handle 3 higher sciences then why are you even considering medical school.

Just pick what you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Many people enter medical school without three sciences. I am unsure where you found the fact that I am "scared" to take three sciences. I recommend you read my thread again so that the point which I actually wanted to put across- focus on the other two sciences- can be understood.

ReputationRep:
    What about a subject with a slightly less taxing exam e.g. music as part of the assessment is done beforehand, or PE; some people recommend art but it will be very, very time consuming. Even HE, although this too can take up a fair amount of time; I know a med applicant who did 3 sciences, maths and french in his fifth year if that helps at all?

ReputationRep:
    Pennyarcade has a point. If you can't handle three sciences at Higher, wait till you get to Adv Higher and Uni...

ReputationRep:
    None of the medical schools in Scotland says that you need higher physics
    Although higher physics will help you with your Advanced higher chemistry(Im assuming that you will be taking ah chemistry since most medical applicants do 2 advanced highers and one of them is often chemistry)
    It is challenging but fun at the same time! Three sciences is great!!! There are lots of overlaps and you would understand the sciences better.
    But yeah, just like what pennyarcade said, pick what you enjoy. As long as you've got all your compulsory subjects(chemistry biology etc) you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scottishguyy)
    Just to let you know, English isn't required for any universities in Scotland, just at N5 level. They only ask for two from Biology, Physics and Maths, with Chemistry being compulsory. And as for your 5th subject, just pick whatever you believe you'll do best in.

In 5th year I did chem, human bio, French, physics and maths and I received conditionals. So it just depends on how well you do in them. Good luck! c:
    True but I think he should do English in his case, since without it he would be down to 4 highers (including physics) which forces him to take physics...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Med_Diablo)
    Hi,
    I am currently in fourth year and I shall be choosing my higher subjects (s5) some time during the next two months.
    The subjects which I currently study as national 5 are: English, Maths, Biology, Chemistry & Physics. I am looking to apply for medical school. Next year in S5 I will be taking Maths English Chemistry and Biology. Although I am unsure whether to continue with Physics as I believe that focussing on the other 4 subjects and maybe an easier higher may be the best option?

Does your school let you start a higher without the nat 5? If you really you don't like physics, maybe do geography/history/computing? But yeah your goal in the end is try get as many A's as possible...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your information & opinions everyone, they have helped me understand a lot more.
    Any other opinions are appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.