The Student Room Group

Have you ever thought about giving blood?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iEthan
Whilst we're at it, why can't we save the effort and just rep ourselves? :laugh:

Pftt, then everyone would have 10 gems on TSR hahaha

You gotta earn those reps ;o
Original post by iEthan

That's a shame :frown: but, it's the thought that counts! You may be able to give in the future if your haemoglobin levels rise? You could still sign up to the organ donor register as some sort of compromise? :tongue: both amazing things to do! :h:

way ahead of you there, became an organ donor last year! such a good feeling :h:
Original post by rhiifuu
Pftt, then everyone would have 10 gems on TSR hahaha

You gotta earn those reps ;o

This is true :yep: once I reach 10 I think I can happily retire my hunger for rep, 10 looks pretty good :yep: pretty close to 9 now :woo:

Original post by Articultr
way ahead of you there, became an organ donor last year! such a good feeling

That's amazing! Thank you for doing something so generous! You're awesome :woo:
Original post by iEthan
This is true :yep: once I reach 10 I think I can happily retire my hunger for rep, 10 looks pretty good :yep: pretty close to 9 now :woo:

Damn! I have a proud 6. I'm pretty content with it. But, I wouldn't mind more. How do you check whether you're close to achieving another gem anyway?

I hope you get that 9th gem pretty soon!
Original post by rhiifuu
Damn! I have a proud 6. I'm pretty content with it. But, I wouldn't mind more. How do you check whether you're close to achieving another gem anyway?

I hope you get that 9th gem pretty soon!

It's on the My TSR page :yep: thanks Rhi! Not too far away now…..

Spoiler

Original post by iEthan
It's on the My TSR page :yep: thanks Rhi! Not too far away now…..

Thanks so much! Oh, I've still got quite a bit to go before 7 gems.

Good luck :biggrin: Almost there!
agreed - its actually a very selfless thing to do, one of the good traits of humanity
Original post by Reformed
agreed - its actually a very selfless thing to do, one of the good traits of humanity

Totally agree with you :yep: are you a donor? :h:
I don't think I'm allowed.
Not allowed for 3 reasons aha
Yep, I did it within a month of turning 17 and have done it three times since :yes: Would like to do it as much as possible.

I'm allowed to once every four months and my last donation was earlier this month, so next time it'll be in June, then October, etc. If you're male it's every three months!

They're always reluctant to let me though, because I'm borderline on the height:weight requirements and I come close to fainting just as the donation finishes. I fear one day that that will happen, and I'll be banned from further donation. This unfortunately happened to my mother. Seems odd that there's a shortage but they're willing to permanently turn down someone for a reason as small as 'I get woozy'.

Also on the bone marrow donation register and am an organ donor. If you can, please please consider signing up for this (especially if you're an ethnic minority).

Plus you get free food. Good incentive.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd love to. I just don't weigh enough :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can you select certain people and ensure that they do not receive your blood, some of the people I went to secondary school with I'd rather they just died...

Spoiler

I would if I could :smile:
How much does a person's weight, or bmi, affect their ability to donate blood?
For example, I'm roughly 6ft and weigh around 60kg, which is slightly underweight. I'm healthy and feel fine, etc, but I was wondering if they might turn me down because of this.
Original post by ivybridge
I don't think I'm allowed.

That's really a shame :frown: but it's the thought that counts :yep: there's always organ donation!

Original post by ryanroks1
Not allowed for 3 reasons aha

Awh, that's really a shame but you can't help that! It's the thought that counts :yep:

Original post by elen90
Yep, I did it within a month of turning 17 and have done it three times since :yes: Would like to do it as much as possible.

I'm allowed to once every four months and my last donation was earlier this month, so next time it'll be in June, then October, etc. If you're male it's every three months!

They're always reluctant to let me though, because I'm borderline on the height:weight requirements and I come close to fainting just as the donation finishes. I fear one day that that will happen, and I'll be banned from further donation. This unfortunately happened to my mother. Seems odd that there's a shortage but they're willing to permanently turn down someone for a reason as small as 'I get woozy'.

Also on the bone marrow donation register and am an organ donor. If you can, please please consider signing up for this (especially if you're an ethnic minority).

Plus you get free food. Good incentive.

It is a shame that you're borderline on their restrictions, but loss of blood can have very serious side effects! There's very good reason for them :yep: it's amazing that you've already donated so many times and I hope you continue to do so! Mine was very recent too :yep: so I'm not up for another one until July (simply because that's when they're back in town). Keep it up, you're amazing! :jumphug:

Original post by Changing Skies
I'd love to. I just don't weigh enough :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awh that's a shame but it's not your fault! There's always organ donation? :h:

Original post by John55
Can you select certain people and ensure that they do not receive your blood, some of the people I went to secondary school with I'd rather they just died...

Spoiler

Haha, if only it worked like that :tongue: in all seriousness though, providing you're eligible it shouldn't make you feel too bad, promise! You'll be a bit dizzy for a day or two and then you'll feel very much back to normal :yep: PM me if you have any questions! :h:

Original post by Joel 96
How much does a person's weight, or bmi, affect their ability to donate blood?
For example, I'm roughly 6ft and weigh around 60kg, which is slightly underweight. I'm healthy and feel fine, etc, but I was wondering if they might turn me down because of this.

It can be quite important to be within the weight limits, specifically because those who weigh less will have a smaller blood volume than those that weigh more, meaning you'll need your blood more than the person that weights more! However, if you're borderline and you are absolutely understanding of the risks, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. It's really at their discretion though. :yep:
Original post by iEthan

It can be quite important to be within the weight limits, specifically because those who weigh less will have a smaller blood volume than those that weigh more, meaning you'll need your blood more than the person that weights more! However, if you're borderline and you are absolutely understanding of the risks, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. It's really at their discretion though. :yep:

Okay, I think I understand.
Thanks, Ethan.
Original post by Joel 96
Okay, I think I understand.
Thanks, Ethan.

My pleasure! :h:
Original post by iEthan
Thank you! I just wanted to see if I could get people involved because it's important to me specifically because my Dad is only here today from blood donations :yep:, too many people don't know enough about it :yep: Then someone in CT featured my poll and now we're here :lol:

I'm donating again in July! What about you?

It made me laugh, you've still got it… just :tongue:

Hahaha OK

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would love to but I can't. If I can gain weight and my iron levels were fine I would. Just suck my needle phobia and do it, I imagine it would feel great. I'll probably become an organ donor though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest