Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever thought about giving blood? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever given blood?
    Yes
    12.00%
    No, but I would like to
    52.71%
    No and I do not want to
    20.29%
    I cannot give blood
    15.00%

ReputationRep:
    I'm not eligible to give blood unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    I have a serious fear of needles so it's a no go for me

ReputationRep:
    i think that they should offer £10 a go to donors... the rate would soon rise !

in America you get paid to donate blood ?

ReputationRep:
    I think if the NHS want more people to donate blood they should remove their homophobic restrictions.
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    Great thread

(Original post by the bear)

Why? You get everything you need, water, food, the actual process which costs money... if anything, we should be funding them more, not getting them to lose money! Giving blood is usually a very simple process and takes about half an hour, and then you get on with your day - I'm sure if your friends/family needed blood, you'd do it for free, and it may well be that your blood helps them at some point in the future.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

Are you planning to pay when you need blood too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    …or have you ever given blood before? Donating blood is an amazing thing to do and you can do it in the knowledge that you're definitely going to be helping someone who desperately needs it. According to the NHS, less than 3% of us give blood but approximately 1 in 5 of us will need a blood transfusion at some point in our lives. They usually rely on the same people repetitively donating. I think if more people knew about the process, it might get more people donating!

I understand that some people mightn't be sure of the whole process so I'll give you a bit of background information in spoilers

What're your thoughts on blood donation? I'd love to know your thoughts on this issue!

Ethan

Q&A's:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Q: Does it hurt?
    Not really. You'll feel a sharp scratch as they insert the needle into your arm, apart from that the process is relatively painless.

Q: How old do you have to be to donate?
    You must be aged seventeen or over to donate blood. You can book in advance of your seventeenth birthday on their site providing you'll be seventeen on the date of donation :yep:

Q: What actually happens?
    The process is relatively simple and it's really easy. I took a friend with me for my first time, I'd recommend this if you're a bit nervous! You'll be invited into the donation centre, you'll hand them your form which you receive in the post a week before donation and they'll get you to read an information booklet that informs you of all of the requirements to donate blood. They'll make sure that you understand everything. Then, you'll be sent into a small consultation area where you'll be asked to give a small sample of your blood to check haemoglobin levels etc. etc. (this doesn't hurt!). Then, you'll be asked to drink at least 500ml of water which they provide. You'll have time to drink this and relax before being asked to lie down in one of the chairs. They'll then find a vein, insert the needle and inform you of the exercises you should do whilst you're donating… (clenching fists, etc.) and then before you know it, you're finished! The best bit is the obligatory biscuits and crisps you'll have afterwards.

Q: OK, this sounds good. What would stop me from donating?
    The NHS' guidelines are very specific about this. I can't detail everything because I'd be here forever. However, the NHS says: "Most people between the ages of 17 and 66 who weigh over 50kg (7st 12lb) and have a good level of general health will be able to donate blood."

Q: What happens to my blood?
    Good question! Your blood will be tested afterwards just to make sure it's able to be used (you'll be informed within a few weeks if it cannot be). Then, it could be used in a variety of ways. Usually, treating blood cancers, aiding childbirth and even those in serious accidents requiring transfusion. (just a few of the uses)

Q: I want to know more, where can I get more information?
    The Blood UK website will give you all of the information you need. You can then book your donation there. :yep:
    I would give blood more but they sent me away because I am slightly anaemic, previously got rejected because of visits to different countries and before that I didn't fit the age/weight requirement etc. I will never get to the 100 donation mark at this rate
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    I'm not eligible to give blood unfortunately.
    That's really unfortunate! But it's the thought that counts :yep: have you ever thought about signing up to the organ donor register? It's a great compromise! :excited:

(Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    I have a serious fear of needles so it's a no go for me
    Needle phobia is completely understandable! I took a friend with me because of it but the whole process has completely desensitised me to needles now!

I have to agree with the quote below on this one, bear

(Original post by BurstingBubbles)
    Great thread

Why? You get everything you need, water, food, the actual process which costs money... if anything, we should be funding them more, not getting them to lose money! Giving blood is usually a very simple process and takes about half an hour, and then you get on with your day - I'm sure if your friends/family needed blood, you'd do it for free, and it may well be that your blood helps them at some point in the future.
    Agree with you! Thanks btw

(Original post by KIC)
    I would give blood more but they sent me away because I am slightly anaemic, previously got rejected because of visits to different countries and before that I didn't fit the age/weight requirement etc. I will never get to the 100 donation mark at this rate
    You can always pop in and have your haemoglobin levels checked again! Don't worry, your determination is really admirable! Are you an organ donor?
    • Section Leader
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by nonon41)
    I think if the NHS want more people to donate blood they should remove their homophobic restrictions.
    I agree with this, but I assume it costs a fair amount to screen each donation, and male homosexual activities increase the risk (although I fear this is somewhat outdated) of STIs such as HIV, and therefore it's a cost effective cut. I believe there was some talk about removing this rule though, I'm not sure how far they have got.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    If I didn't have a needle phobia and had to have blood as a baby I would think about giving blood.

I'm on the organ register though.

ReputationRep:
    I've always intended to give blood once I can
    The fact that my blood could drastically help someone's life is a really nice thought to have.

ReputationRep:
    That's really unfortunate! But it's the thought that counts :yep: have you ever thought about signing up to the organ donor register? It's a great compromise! :excited:

Needle phobia is completely understandable! I took a friend with me because of it but the whole process has completely desensitised me to needles now!

I have to agree with the quote below on this one, bear

Agree with you! Thanks btw

You can always pop in and have your haemoglobin levels checked again! Don't worry, your determination is really admirable! Are you an organ donor?
    Yep- and in a few years will become a bone marrow one too

ReputationRep:
    I've had a hell of a lot of needles in the past, I can't see myself getting desensitised any time soon :3

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to, but I'd not sure I'm able to, due to the medication I'm on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Whilst you're there, ask about registering as a bone marrow doner.
    Tasty
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Midnightmemories)
    If I didn't have a needle phobia and had to have blood as a baby I would think about giving blood.

I'm on the organ register though.
    It's still amazing that you're on the organ donation register! :excited: Well done for doing something so generous!

(Original post by hxfsxh)
    I've always intended to give blood once I can
    The fact that my blood could drastically help someone's life is a really nice thought to have.
    Completely agree!

(Original post by KIC)
    Yep- and in a few years will become a bone marrow one too
    That's amazing! Well done :excited:

(Original post by Darkphilosopher)
    I've had a hell of a lot of needles in the past, I can't see myself getting desensitised any time soon :3
    Ahhhh I understand, don't worry about it there's always organ donation :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    Tasty
    Tasty, but hard to get away from the impression that you're essentially eating pure molten fat.

My bone marrow is available to free for those in need, or £50 for those who just fancy a taste*.

*Offer includes bottle of house wine

ReputationRep:
    If you don't get paid its ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by offhegoes)
    Whilst you're there, ask about registering as a bone marrow doner.
    You can do that here with the Anthony Nolan Trust. They are amazing and saved one of my friends' lives!

https://www.anthonynolan.org/apply-j...arrow-register

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaediatricStN)
    You can do that here with the Anthony Nolan Trust. They are amazing and saved one of my friends' lives!

https://www.anthonynolan.org/apply-j...arrow-register
    True, and good link, but I believe I'm a year too old to register with them (31)! A few other organisations will register people up to age 49 though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.