Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever thought about giving blood? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever given blood?
    Yes
    12.00%
    No, but I would like to
    52.71%
    No and I do not want to
    20.29%
    I cannot give blood
    15.00%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JBLondon)
    I agree that these kind of apps encourage casual and possibly risky sex, but this isn't limited to MSM. Plenty of people I know go on Tinder etc and have casual hetero sex.
    Of course. The rate of syphilis in the hetero community remains low though. For now.

Yes, exactly. My (not well expressed) point was that it's not about the money.

I don't disagree with the facts - it's a fact that the MSM community has a higher risk of HIV and other infections. I, as someone who has sex with men and women, have regular check-ups, moreso than the hetero people I know that have casual sex. I'm also a lot safer in practice.
    The rate of HIV with MSM is so much higher though, and mechanically so much easier to spread. Even with you being very careful your risk is still probably higher than even some higher risk non-MSMs.

False negatives can happen just as easily with hetero people's donations; ultimately the facts (at the moment) just about support the ban
    Quite firmly support the ban. The evidence was reviewed very recently.

HIV tests are improving all the time though.

...but that doesn't stop me feeling angry about it.
    I'm going to argue that it should. Genuine apologies if anything comes across as insensitive:

Most people's aim with giving blood is to help people. The evidence suggests that whilst your efforts are appreciated, at this time and under these specific circumstances, you are unable to. That should be enough.

I am excluded because i've had malaria. That doesn't make me feel angry. I do not feel that malaria-sufferers are being persecuted. Due to circumstances I won't go into I actually have 0% risk of still having malaria, but they need to follow procedure and I reluctantly accept that.

People who are from high risk countries or whose partners are from high risk countries are also excluded. There's potential for all kinds of allegations of racism there, but you don't see it so much.

I think the reason is that historically HIV was used as a weapon against the gay community - portrayed as something sordid and dirty. And so some still perceive even the factual assertion that rates are higher in MSMs as an attack on them.

Otherwise I cannot see a reason to be angry about the ban. Suspicion about those who made it, maybe. But outright angry at the logic no.

Unless you're true motivation is to get the glory and take that selfie and helping people is not actually relevant. But hopefully that's only a small number of people.

As a side note, I don't like people who post self-congratulatory photos of themselves giving blood all over social media. Selfless acts don't need validation.
    I again disagree! Where doing one selfless act might encourage others to also do said selfless act I think it is worth sharing.

(Original post by nexttime)
    Of course. The rate of syphilis in the hetero community remains low though. For now.

The rate of HIV with MSM is so much higher though, and mechanically so much easier to spread. Even with you being very careful your risk is still probably higher than even some higher risk non-MSMs.

Quite firmly support the ban. The evidence was reviewed very recently.

HIV tests are improving all the time though.

I'm going to argue that it should. Genuine apologies if anything comes across as insensitive:

Most people's aim with giving blood is to help people. The evidence suggests that whilst your efforts are appreciated, at this time and under these specific circumstances, you are unable to. That should be enough.

I am excluded because i've had malaria. That doesn't make me feel angry. I do not feel that malaria-sufferers are being persecuted. Due to circumstances I won't go into I actually have 0% risk of still having malaria, but they need to follow procedure and I reluctantly accept that.

People who are from high risk countries or whose partners are from high risk countries are also excluded. There's potential for all kinds of allegations of racism there, but you don't see it so much.

I think the reason is that historically HIV was used as a weapon against the gay community - portrayed as something sordid and dirty. And so some still perceive even the factual assertion that rates are higher in MSMs as an attack on them.

Otherwise I cannot see a reason to be angry about the ban. Suspicion about those who made it, maybe. But outright angry at the logic no.

Unless you're true motivation is to get the glory and take that selfie and helping people is not actually relevant. But hopefully that's only a small number of people.

I again disagree! Where doing one selfless act might encourage others to also do said selfless act I think it is worth sharing.
    Not insensitive bro. I respect your opinion.

Opinions are like ars3holes. Everyone's got one.

ReputationRep:
    I've sold plasma, does that count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    This is a very good piece of advice!
    No but I would like to.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Hi everyone!

I'm really pleased with the turnout of this thread, it's really insightful and important to talk about — but I'd appreciate it if people didn't argue!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by bumblebee342)
    I gave blood quite a few times and I'm on the organ donor register.

Unfortunately I haven't been allowed to donate blood in the past year and still can't now, which I'm gutted about
    That's a shame well done on giving blood previously though! That's amazing! You're brilliant :excited:

ReputationRep:
    I gave blood regularly until I was diagnosed with cancer, then my teenage sons, some of their friends and one of my friends took up the cause and donate in my place, it makes me sooo proud. And they get given nice bikkies .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemonpopsicle2)
    I gave blood regularly until I was diagnosed with cancer, then my teenage sons, some of their friends and one of my friends took up the cause and donate in my place, it makes me sooo proud. And they get given nice bikkies .
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, hope all is well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, hope all is well.
    Thank you, three years clear

ReputationRep:
    I'm a little disappointed at the large number of respondents (to the survey) who don't want to give blood. If you or your loved ones were ever in a situation to require someone else's gift of blood, would you refuse it?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I'm dreadfully sorry to hear about your diagnosis but I'm glad to hear you're 3 years clear! Your sons and their friends are an amazing group of people :hugs:

I'm a little disappointed at the large number of respondents (to the survey) who don't want to give blood. If you or your loved ones were ever in a situation to require someone else's gift of blood, would you refuse it?
    I think it's also very interesting, not many people responded with reasons why! I do wonder what their reasons are :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm dreadfully sorry to hear about your diagnosis but I'm glad to hear you're 3 years clear! Your sons and their friends are an amazing group of people :hugs:

I think it's also very interesting, not many people responded with reasons why! I do wonder what their reasons are :yep:
    Yes, so do I x

I would love to as I have no issues with needles or having blood taken. However for medical reasons I am unable to give Same for stem cells and bone marrow too I think :/

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to give blood because I have a severe phobia of sharp objects (not just needles) and tend to faint EVERY SINGLE TIME I get any kind of injection...

Plus I have Iron deficiency so I don't think I could give blood even if I wanted to.... i think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdwardBarfield9)
    I would but I can't deal with the needle extracting blood. I'm fine with every other kind of needle. I had a blood test and they couldn't find the blood the first time. Whilst they were trying to find it I could feel the air inside my vein and it was a horrible feeling so I cannot do it.
    You shouldn't have felt any air inside your vein... None whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to, and I don't know about the rules in the UK but in the US (where I live) I can't give blood because I was on a trial medication for 8 years. It was a medication that was administered through an infusion, and because it was still in the trial phase (and so is still relatively new), I can't give blood because there's no way of knowing what the long-term effects are yet.

ReputationRep:
    Just signed up to donate bone marrow and stem cells.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've wanted to for a long time, and when I turned 17 I was really excited that I finally can (I was going to do it on my birthday). Sadly I can't because I live on an island and there's no place to give blood over here.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by JustJusty)
    I've wanted to for a long time, and when I turned 17 I was really excited that I finally can (I was going to do it on my birthday). Sadly I can't because I live on an island and there's no place to give blood over here.
    Oh no! That's such bad news! Are there no opportunities at all? You could tweet them or call them to double check?

ReputationRep:
    Oh no! That's such bad news! Are there no opportunities at all? You could tweet them or call them to double check?
    I don't think so. I checked online but it kept saying that there's nothing like that happening at the hospital. I think that if someone needs blood, they just have it imported, since we even get all our food and electricity from France. Or they take the person to Southampton if it's an emergency.

It's fine though. I'll get to do it when I go to uni in real place, on a real map. xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.