Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever thought about giving blood? Watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever given blood?
    Yes
    12.00%
    No, but I would like to
    52.71%
    No and I do not want to
    20.29%
    I cannot give blood
    15.00%

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by JustJusty)
    I don't think so. I checked online but it kept saying that there's nothing like that happening at the hospital. I think that if someone needs blood, they just have it imported, since we even get all our food and electricity from France. Or they take the person to Southampton if it's an emergency.

It's fine though. I'll get to do it when I go to uni in real place, on a real map. xD
    Ohhhhhhh! My aunt lives on the island in question I think :yep: — I hope you can donate blood when you go off to uni, especially considering you want to! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Ohhhhhhh! My aunt lives on the island in question I think :yep: — I hope you can donate blood when you go off to uni, especially considering you want to! :yep:
    Ah, the island famous for its cows, potatoes, and having no career opportunities other than finance?

Hopefully I will. It just seems like a very satisfying thing to do.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by JustJusty)
    Ah, the island famous for its cows, potatoes, and having no career opportunities other than finance?

Hopefully I will. It just seems like a very satisfying thing to do.
    That very island, yes!! This is understandable — it truly is!

ReputationRep:
    Since people always talk about false negatives in screening for high risk populations, here are some ballpark figures for what that risk actually is:
    Roughly (very roughly) 30000 MSM men have HIV in the UK. About a quarter don't know their status. False negative is one in 10,000. Transmission by infusion is 90%. Let's say you required MSM donors to have already had an HIV test more than three months after having last had unprotected sex. If every single unknowingly positive MSM in the UK donated blood every year, that means you could expect one extra infection per 150 years. Given that only about 5% of people eligible actually donate regularly, the risk is actually insignificant.
    See also this paper on precisely this change in policy in Italy, showing no change in rates of HIV among donors.

Fundamentally, there's no need for the NHS to change the rules since MSM are a relatively small population and the need for blood isn't that great. As pointed out, there's no 'right' to donate blood. That doesn't make the rules good or logical.

The NHS is happy to send me away from a clinic telling me I am HIV negative. So apparently it's fine for me to e.g. have unprotected sex with a monogamous parter. But all of a sudden they're not really that certain - it's not fine for me to donate blood. Mixed messages, no? Is the health of me or my (hypothetical) partner less important than the health of a recipient? Is it worse to get HIV from a blood transfusion than from sex between men? Not everyone might understand this, but personally I find it more upsetting than experiences of homophobia from individuals douchebags.

So I hope someone out there will read this and donate a pint on my behalf!

ReputationRep:
    …or have you ever given blood before? Donating blood is an amazing thing to do and you can do it in the knowledge that you're definitely going to be helping someone who desperately needs it. According to the NHS, less than 3% of us give blood but approximately 1 in 5 of us will need a blood transfusion at some point in our lives. They usually rely on the same people repetitively donating. I think if more people knew about the process, it might get more people donating!

I understand that some people mightn't be sure of the whole process so I'll give you a bit of background information in spoilers

What're your thoughts on blood donation? I'd love to know your thoughts on this issue!

Ethan

Q&A's:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Q: Does it hurt?
    Not really. You'll feel a sharp scratch as they insert the needle into your arm, apart from that the process is relatively painless.

Q: How old do you have to be to donate?
    You must be aged seventeen or over to donate blood. You can book in advance of your seventeenth birthday on their site providing you'll be seventeen on the date of donation :yep:

Q: What actually happens?
    The process is relatively simple and it's really easy. I took a friend with me for my first time, I'd recommend this if you're a bit nervous! You'll be invited into the donation centre, you'll hand them your form which you receive in the post a week before donation and they'll get you to read an information booklet that informs you of all of the requirements to donate blood. They'll make sure that you understand everything. Then, you'll be sent into a small consultation area where you'll be asked to give a small sample of your blood to check haemoglobin levels etc. etc. (this doesn't hurt!). Then, you'll be asked to drink at least 500ml of water which they provide. You'll have time to drink this and relax before being asked to lie down in one of the chairs. They'll then find a vein, insert the needle and inform you of the exercises you should do whilst you're donating… (clenching fists, etc.) and then before you know it, you're finished! The best bit is the obligatory biscuits and crisps you'll have afterwards.

Q: OK, this sounds good. What would stop me from donating?
    The NHS' guidelines are very specific about this. I can't detail everything because I'd be here forever. However, the NHS says: "Most people between the ages of 17 and 66 who weigh over 50kg (7st 12lb) and have a good level of general health will be able to donate blood."

Q: What happens to my blood?
    Good question! Your blood will be tested afterwards just to make sure it's able to be used (you'll be informed within a few weeks if it cannot be). Then, it could be used in a variety of ways. Usually, treating blood cancers, aiding childbirth and even those in serious accidents requiring transfusion. (just a few of the uses)

Q: I want to know more, where can I get more information?
    The Blood UK website will give you all of the information you need. You can then book your donation there. :yep:
    I havent done yet due to different reasons but I determined to give something back. What's people's experiences? What can I expect?

ReputationRep:
    Not really. I would love to get paid doing for doin it though, and i don't even know my blood type.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I do it as often as I can, and have already booked my 3rd appointment! It's defiantly something that gives you that "feel-good" knowing you've done some type of good deed for the day, and knowing that it could potentially save someone's life too!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's an amazing thing to do! As soon as my blood is more healthy I plan to give blood. Everything's tip top it's just the iron that's lacking but as soon as that's at a good level I'm going to do it!

ReputationRep:
    I've donated blood once before but I can't donate anymore for now as I'm anaemic ~

ReputationRep:
    My blood is probably somewhere around 70% energy drink, donating would kill the person.

ReputationRep:
    That's really unfortunate! But it's the thought that counts :yep: have you ever thought about signing up to the organ donor register? It's a great compromise! :excited:
    I have, but considering the fact I'm planning on moving abroad, I don't see there being any point in doing it, as the government won't be able to take my organs from me if I'm in East Asia
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    I have, but considering the fact I'm planning on moving abroad, I don't see there being any point in doing it, as the government won't be able to take my organs from me if I'm in East Asia
    Ahhhh! Well that's a different story entirely :yep: understood! That's exciting though, when're you moving?!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhh! Well that's a different story entirely :yep: understood! That's exciting though, when're you moving?!
    I don't know yet, was planning on going to Japan within the next academic year, but my parents are pressuring me to move to the shithole called London this September :hmpf::unimpressed:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know yet, was planning on going to Japan within the next academic year, but my parents are pressuring me to move to the shithole called London this September :hmpf::unimpressed:
    :eek: london is great! :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    :eek: london is great! :cry2:
    Rude people, expensive housing, overpriced food and transport. It's the last place I'd ever want to be

ReputationRep:
    Well you never know when some drunk **** is going to mow you down in his car! And young organs are the most useful. You should definitely get registered. It takes less then two minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Well you never know when some drunk **** is going to mow you down in his car! And young organs are the most useful. You should definitely get registered. It takes less then two minutes.
    I might be young, but my organs aren't the best-I suffer from asthma so my lungs don't work at full capacity and I suffer from eczema so noone would ever want my skin

ReputationRep:
    Rude people, expensive housing, overpriced food and transport. It's the last place I'd ever want to be
    The whole 'people of London are rude' thing is a stereotype lol there's plenty of nice people and a lot of mean people too just like there is anywhere
    That's if you live in central
    You can get decently priced stuff if you know your shops, like if you get groceries from Lidl's it's much cheaper than Tesco's etc.
    There's certain oyster cards that'll make travelling cheaper if you qualify for them.

Shops are open til like 11 pm everyday, if you want something, you can find it in London. Nice attractions, everything's near you, many job opportunities. There's loads of pros

But Japan seems cool *__*

ReputationRep:
    I might be young, but my organs aren't the best-I suffer from asthma so my lungs don't work at full capacity and I suffer from eczema so noone would ever want my skin
    what about your heart, liver, kidneys? you can donate specific organs me thinks

ReputationRep:
    Haven't donated blood, nor considered it.
    I'm Hemophobic, so it's not such a good idea to willingly put myself in that position.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.