Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever thought about giving blood? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever given blood?
    Yes
    11.99%
    No, but I would like to
    52.74%
    No and I do not want to
    20.27%
    I cannot give blood
    14.99%

• Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    I have done it a few times before but I stopped after I had an unpleasant experience donating
    That's really unfortunate! Are you comfortable sharing what happened? If not, no worries :hugs: sorry something unpleasant happened to you!

(Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    I'm too petite to give blood. Had to cancel the appointment.
    That's a shame but, hey — there's nothing you can do about that! You had the generosity to start the process :hugs: have you thought about perhaps signing up to the organ donor register instead?

(Original post by Bad Faith)
    If you say so. I'll definitely do it sometime, perhaps when it's summer.
    I promise! It'd be amazing if you went, take a friend! I cannot recommend taking a friend enough, you can have someone to comfort you if it gets a bit much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    That's really unfortunate! Are you comfortable sharing what happened? If not, no worries :hugs: sorry something unpleasant happened to you!

That's a shame but, hey — there's nothing you can do about that! You had the generosity to start the process :hugs: have you thought about perhaps signing up to the organ donor register instead?

I promise! It'd be amazing if you went, take a friend! I cannot recommend taking a friend enough, you can have someone to comfort you if it gets a bit much
    They struggled to find my vein which was a problem to start with; then when they did find it I threw up during the session for some reason and the person treating me was rather patronising and I found the nurses to be rather unfriendly; they looked very uncomfortable throughout the whole thing; like they really didn't want to be there
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    They struggled to find my vein which was a problem to start with; then when they did find it I threw up during the session for some reason and the person treating me was rather patronising and I found the nurses to be rather unfriendly; they looked very uncomfortable throughout the whole thing; like they really didn't want to be there
    That's really not acceptable! Did you report this to NHSBT? They'd be really interested in hearing about that. You were doing an amazing thing, it's such a shame the attitude of some rude people led to putting you off. Really sorry to hear about this

ReputationRep:
    That's really not acceptable! Did you report this to NHSBT? They'd be really interested in hearing about that. You were doing an amazing thing, it's such a shame the attitude of some rude people led to putting you off. Really sorry to hear about this
    Nah, I cba; it was ages ago now anyway, like over 4 years ago.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Gay and sexually active - therefore my blood is deemed too risky to use.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Everglow)
    Gay and sexually active - therefore my blood is deemed too risky to use.
    Such a shame I'm sorry about the rules the NHS has about this

ReputationRep:
    Wish I could, but CFS means I can't, and never will be able to I'm O neg too...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by eleanorlittle)
    Wish I could, but CFS means I can't, and never will be able to I'm O neg too...
    That's such a shame! But you cannot help having CFS! There are still loads of ways you can help :yep: — have you considered organ donation? Registering as a donor only takes a few minutes!

ReputationRep:
    I want to

I'm an organ donar though. In the invent of my death you can use anything that may be of use.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Such a shame I'm sorry about the rules the NHS has about this
    It is what it is. It amazes me the NHS can be so picky about blood when there's such a shortage. The blood gets screened anyway, if I remember right - so I don't get what the problem is.

ReputationRep:
    That's such a shame! But you cannot help having CFS! There are still loads of ways you can help :yep: — have ou considered organ donation? Registering as a donor only takes a few minutes!
    Yep, already an organ donor! Signed up as soon as I could, and couldn't wait to donate blood...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    I want to

I'm an organ donar though. In the invent of my death you can use anything that may be of use.
    What prevents you? It's the thought that counts though and it's amazing that you're an organ donor! Well done! :excited:

It is what it is. It amazes me the NHS can be so picky about blood when there's such a shortage. The blood gets screened anyway, if I remember right - so I don't get what the problem is.
    I completely agree, it does get screened, yes! So I do wonder why… but alas… maybe it'll change in future? :hugs:

(Original post by eleanorlittle)
    Yep, already an organ donor! Signed up as soon as I could, and couldn't wait to donate blood...
    Well done on doing something so generous! You're awesome! It's such a shame you can't donate but remember it's not your fault OK? :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't mind giving blood but the issue is my stomach turns instantly the minute I smell blood + I feel light headed if I see needles.... :puke:

ReputationRep:
    The blood does get screened yes. But that doesn't mean it will always pick up things that are in the blood, if for example an infection hasn't been in the body very long.
    If I remember correctly when giving blood everyone is asked if they have done something with certain risk factors within the last 6 months, the timing is 6 months because for some diseases like HIV the virus may still be present in the blood but it might not be picked up in a screening for up to 6 months. As such someone could still end up being given infected blood because the screening c couldn't pick up on it, by reducing risk factors they reduce the statistical likelihood of that outcome.

Say what you will about picky-ness, but it has certainly prevented a lot of disease acquirement through blood donation.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to but I'm not heavy enough
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    I wouldn't mind giving blood but the issue is my stomach turns instantly the minute I smell blood + I feel light headed if I see needles.... :puke:
    That's totally understandable :yep: I'm a bit funny with blood too so I took a friend and talked to her instead of looking at what was happening! It kind of removed my fear about needles though! :woo:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    The blood does get screened yes. But that doesn't mean it will always pick up things that are in the blood, if for example an infection hasn't been in the body very long.
    If I remember correctly when giving blood everyone is asked if they have done something with certain risk factors within the last 6 months, the timing is 6 months because for some diseases like HIV the virus may still be present in the blood but it might not be picked up in a screening for up to 6 months.

Say what you will about picky-ness, but it has certainly prevented a lot of disease acquirement through blood donation.
    I suppose this is your answer, OP! Thank you :yep: this makes sense

(Original post by 2007PSanHa)
    I would like to but I'm not heavy enough
    That's a shame! But the fact that you're aware and you would like to is brilliant :yep: — perhaps you could sign up to the organ donor register as a compromise? Both amazing things to do

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=iEthan;63031979]They will test your haemoglobin levels once you arrive so it's the perfect time to sign up! It's wonderful that you're so eager to do something so generous. Do you know how to register?

Yep! Thanks to your post, I looked at the website where you can register.

Also, I was wondering, how long does the whole process of the "blood draining" take? :curious:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Blood draining". :ahee:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by flyingpanda)
    Yep! Thanks to your post, I looked at the website where you can register.

Also, I was wondering, how long does the whole process of the "blood draining" take? :curious:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    "Blood draining". :ahee:
    That's awesome! Heh, blood draining does sound a bit funny — they only take 470ml (just under a pint) and for me it takes me longer than 2-4 minutes :yep: it can take different amounts of time for different people thought :yep:

ReputationRep:
    That's awesome! Heh, blood draining does sound a bit funny — they only take 470ml (just under a pint) and for me it takes me longer than 2-4 minutes :yep: it can take different amounts of time for different people thought :yep:
    Awesome. Thanks!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.