Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever thought about giving blood? watch

• View Poll Results: Have you ever given blood?
    Yes
    11.99%
    No, but I would like to
    52.74%
    No and I do not want to
    20.27%
    I cannot give blood
    14.99%

ReputationRep:
    I have donated blood! I did it in October, I'm planning on doing it again.

I'm free and open to questions to those who are considering donating.

But, I'll give some of my personal experience.

I was terrified of needles. My friend who was also donating blood, encouraged me to one day at college. So, I went ahead. The sorest part for me was when they tested my iron levels. But, the actual donation itself was totally painless. However, something was wrong and I only managed to donate half a pint. I did end up with terrible bruising after (can include photos anyone concerned about this) but this could be down to me bruising easily plus they kept moving the needle (hence why I couldn't donate a full pint)

But, besides that, it didn't hurt at all. It was just a little numb and weak but it went away after a day. The bruising however was pretty ugly!

ReputationRep:
    According to the blood.co.uk website, I don't have the necessary blood volume so they won't let me. If I could, I would though. I'm registered as an organ donor though.
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by rhiifuu)
    I have donated blood! I did it in October, I'm planning on doing it again.

I'm free and open to questions to those who are considering donating.

But, I'll give some of my personal experience.

I was terrified of needles. My friend who was also donating blood, encouraged me to one day at college. So, I went ahead. The sorest part for me was when they tested my iron levels. But, the actual donation itself was totally painless. However, something was wrong and I only managed to donate half a pint. I did end up with terrible bruising after (can include photos anyone concerned about this) but this could be down to me bruising easily plus they kept moving the needle (hence why I couldn't donate a full pint)

But, besides that, it didn't hurt at all. It was just a little numb and weak but it went away after a day. The bruising however was pretty ugly!
    This was really interesting! Sorry to hear about your bruising but it's amazing that you're planning to do it again! I experienced the dizziness too :lol: which was quite disorientating but quickly went away :yep:

(Original post by Katty3)
    According to the blood.co.uk website, I don't have the necessary blood volume so they won't let me. If I could, I would though. I'm registered as an organ donor though.
    That's a shame but remember, organ donation is still an incredible thing to do! Thank you for doing something amazing :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    This was really interesting! Sorry to hear about your bruising but it's amazing that you're planning to do it again! I experienced the dizziness too :lol: which was quite disorientating but quickly went away :yep:
    I was really surprised by the number of people who voted no! It cleared up after 2 weeks, it was just a pain covering up really. I'm glad your experience was ok! I think a lot of people are put off because of the 'expected' pain.

What blood type are you? I'm O+
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I was really surprised by the number of people who voted no! It cleared up after 2 weeks, it was just a pain covering up really. I'm glad your experience was ok! I think a lot of people are put off because of the 'expected' pain.

What blood type are you? I'm O+
    I'm O-! I was so happy when I found out… :excited:

ReputationRep:
    O- is so rare!

You can donate to anyone c:
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I'm urmmmm red....yes, my blood is red

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    O- is so rare!

You can donate to anyone c:
    That's right omg, I'm so excited to donate again too :excited:

(Original post by Andy98)
    I'm urmmmm red....yes, my blood is redPosted from TSR Mobile
    Hahahaha :lol: hi Andy :wavey:

ReputationRep:

Great thread btw! So, when you planning on donating again?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad

Hahahaha :lol: hi Andy :wavey:
    That's all I got

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Great thread btw! So, when you planning on donating again?
    Thank you! I just wanted to see if I could get people involved because it's important to me specifically because my Dad is only here today from blood donations :yep:, too many people don't know enough about it :yep: Then someone in CT featured my poll and now we're here :lol:

I'm donating again in July! What about you?

(Original post by Andy98)
    That's all I got

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It made me laugh, you've still got it… just

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I just wanted to see if I could get people involved because it's important to me specifically because my Dad is only here today from blood donations :yep:, too many people don't know enough about it :yep: Then someone in CT featured my poll and now we're here :lol:
    I'm glad it got featured! I donated because my nephew was born premature. Only three spoonfuls could save a premature babies life! Hopefully, people will be inspired to donate after this thread

You're welcome!
    I'm glad those donations saved his life.

Are you an organ donor also?

ReputationRep:
    I've given blood before but didn't know I was anaemic at the time, i just thought I was not sleeping enough hence the constant tiredness and in hindsight still shouldn't have done it but I felt like I had to as I justified it as 'if I don't, someone who needs my specific blood could DIE' and as I've come to learn since then, these types of strong statements really help commit you to a particular course of action, to my detriment to some degree before as I had bad experiences after and I mean weakness, anxiety and the rest of it, but I'm better now and have decided to do it again.

I really think that if people got to see those who their blood has helped in the form of some kind of 'illness to health story, thanks to YOU', it would really motivate them to continue to give blood and would get more people to do it as something i really believe is that people tend to give more be it blood, to guys sitting on a street corner or to any charity if they see clearly what exact contribution their time/blood/money will have and it's something that I'm currently thinking about developing as a charity of its own accord, a service bridging the gap between people who need help and the people who can give it but need clarity as to where their buck will be going and how exactly it will be appropriated and made beneficial to someone who they can empathise with and want to help.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I'm glad it got featured! I donated because my nephew was born premature. Only three spoonfuls could save a premature babies life! Hopefully, people will be inspired to donate after this thread

You're welcome!
    I'm glad those donations saved his life.

Are you an organ donor also?
    Awh you're so kind — I hope so too! It would mean a lot to me, I know for definite that 3ish people registered because they said they did. Any registration is one that wouldn't have happened without this thread so I'm happy with that turnout :lol:

I am! I've been an organ donor for a couple of years now :yep: are you?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by damegrows.always)
    I've given blood before but didn't know I was anaemic at the time, i just thought I was not sleeping enough hence the constant tiredness and in hindsight still shouldn't have done it but I felt like I had to as I justified it as 'if I don't, someone who needs my specific blood could DIE' and as I've come to learn since then, these types of strong statements really help commit you to a particular course of action, to my detriment to some degree before as I had bad experiences after and I mean weakness, anxiety and the rest of it, but I'm better now and have decided to do it again.

I really think that if people got to see those who their blood has helped in the form of some kind of 'illness to health story, thanks to YOU', it would really motivate them to continue to give blood and would get more people to do it as something i really believe is that people tend to give more be it blood, to guys sitting on a street corner or to any charity if they see clearly what exact contribution their time/blood/money will have and it's something that I'm currently thinking about developing as a charity of its own accord, a service bridging the gap between people who need help and the people who can give it but need clarity as to where their buck will be going and how exactly it will be appropriated and made beneficial to someone who they can empathise with and want to help.
    This is an interesting point of view, OP. I am a little shocked that they allowed you to donate if your haemoglobin levels were low, this could have caused you a few serious problems had you been less fortunate. Did they test for it? I agree that the illness to health story could work but I imagine the funding for such a program would be pretty expensive :sadnod: but it would definitely motivate people to continue!

ReputationRep:
    Awh you're so kind — I hope so too! It would mean a lot to me, I know for definite that 3ish people registered because they said they did. Any registration is one that wouldn't have happened without this thread so I'm happy with that turnout :lol:

I am! I've been an organ donor for a couple of years now :yep: are you?
    I'm not an organ donor, as of now. I'm still really in the middle with it. But, I'll do personal research to determine whether I should.

That's amazing! Even if it was only one, that's still influenced someone to register. I hope it continues.

I'm looking forward to the next time I donate.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I'm not an organ donor, as of now. I'm still really in the middle with it. But, I'll do personal research to determine whether I should.

That's amazing! Even if it was only one, that's still influenced someone to register. I hope it continues.

I'm looking forward to the next time I donate.
    really wish I could rep this but I can't

ReputationRep:
    really wish I could rep this but I can't
    I hate that!!! Why can't we rep multiple times *cries*

ReputationRep:
    i'm anaemic so no one wants my blood but i would love to!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I hate that!!! Why can't we rep multiple times *cries*
    Whilst we're at it, why can't we save the effort and just rep ourselves? :laugh:

(Original post by Articultr)
    i'm anaemic so no one wants my blood but i would love to!
    That's a shame but, it's the thought that counts! You may be able to give in the future if your haemoglobin levels rise? You could still sign up to the organ donor register as some sort of compromise? both amazing things to do!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.