Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eating disorder and occupational health check Watch

I wasn't exactly sure what forum to put this in but this seemed the most appropriate
    Recently I applied for a volunteering position in a palliative care ward, and during the interview I was asked to fill out a form prior to an occupational health check. There was a question about eating disorders and I didn't want to lie and say that I have never had one so I ticked yes saying I had one. I told my mum about this and she claimed that I shouldn't have claimed that I had an eating disorder, because it "wasn't serious" even though it lasted for almost 2 years. However, will an eating disorder affect my application as a volunteer? Because i have been treated. When I go for a proper occupational health check will they tell me that I can't be a volunteer because of my eating disorder??
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I wasn't exactly sure what forum to put this in but this seemed the most appropriate
    Recently I applied for a volunteering position in a palliative care ward, and during the interview I was asked to fill out a form prior to an occupational health check. There was a question about eating disorders and I didn't want to lie and say that I have never had one so I ticked yes saying I had one. I told my mum about this and she claimed that I shouldn't have claimed that I had an eating disorder, because it "wasn't serious" even though it lasted for almost 2 years. However, will an eating disorder affect my application as a volunteer? Because i have been treated. When I go for a proper occupational health check will they tell me that I can't be a volunteer because of my eating disorder??
    I imagine it is a standard form and as long as it doesn't affect your role it shouldn't be an issue. While your mum is trying to protect you,they'd be pretty upset if you lied and it turned out to be important. Were you diagnosed officially?

(Original post by Neostigmine)
    I imagine it is a standard form and as long as it doesn't affect your role it shouldn't be an issue. While your mum is trying to protect you,they'd be pretty upset if you lied and it turned out to be important. Were you diagnosed officially?
    yes after i finally told my mum that i had an eating disorder she took me to my GP where i explained what was happening and they decided to refer me to camhs. i went to one appointment but decided that it wasn't the treatment route i needed so i left, but was diagnosed by my doctor at a later stage.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.