Turn on thread page Beta

If 300,000 people arrive in the UK every year, you won't be able to buy a home! FACT watch

ReputationRep:
    If 300,000 people arrive in the UK every year, you won't be able to buy a home! FACT

47% of all jobs could be automated by 2034.

How do you think that will pan out?

With all that unskilled, low wage labour coming here...................

ReputationRep:
    1m people live in Birmingham. Every 3-4 years a new city is required to house these people.

VOTE OUT!

ReputationRep:
    Our infrastructure is crumbling - our broadband is slow, NHS is swamped, our schools teach 30+ kids per class!!

No way can such low skilled labour pay enough tax to pay it's way in the UK. Be realistic we need a quota system opened up to the WORLD not just low cost European countries. We need skills!!

ReputationRep:
    UK can't even monitor the 300k people who come here every year! god knows the type of criminals making their way to our streets. They're more likely to send the gains back rather than stay for a long term future!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think most of us will be able to buy regardless of whether migrants are let in or not. Have you seen the price of houses right now? Houses are no longer homes they are investments for a select few. To be honest I knew around 2008 after the financial crash that the vast majority of this millennial generation would never be able to afford homes of their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotusbloom)
    I don't think most of us will be able to buy regardless of whether migrants are let in or not. Have you seen the price of houses right now? Houses are no longer homes they are investments for a select few. To be honest I knew around 2008 after the financial crash that the vast majority of this millennial generation would never be able to afford homes of their own.
    if 300k less people come every year and the ones already here are sent back. You will have a MUCH better chance.

- Cheaper rent
    - Lower prices

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I'm on a train I see a bunch of empty land....there's space

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    our schools teach 30+ kids per class!!
    Hasn't that always been the case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    Whenever I'm on a train I see a bunch of empty land....there's space
    that land's not prohibited to be built on. Even if that land was used no way can we build fast enough to accommodate for 300k people per year let alone provide the services required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Hasn't that always been the case?
    No it's drastically gone up over the last few years as our schools crumble and need updating.

ReputationRep:
    If you vote in
    - Less jobs around for the majority of you - FACT
    - Higher house prices and higher rents - FACT
    - Crumbling NHS and crowded schools.
    - More crime - demand for key skills will shoot up, we will have no control over the type of immigration that arrives.

ReputationRep:
    You will be able to find a house to buy ...
    What you might not be able to find is a council home is you cannot afford your own home)

On a different note rents will increase.

ReputationRep:
    I am a landlord myself, university educated, i run a global business.

I am here to warn you kids!

ReputationRep:
    No it's drastically gone up over the last few years as our schools crumble and need updating.
    Well I definitely had classes with over 30 students in years 7, 8 and 9, and my school didn't crumble.

ReputationRep:

Invest in SpaceX and help us get to Mars bruh

ReputationRep:
    UK can't even monitor the 300k people who come here every year! god knows the type of criminals making their way to our streets. They're more likely to send the gains back rather than stay for a long term future!
    Wait, do you want the criminals to go or stay for a long term future?

ReputationRep:
    FACT?

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...tions_Text.pdf

ReputationRep:
    If 300,000 people arrive in the UK every year, you won't be able to buy a home! FACT
    The reason UK house prices are unaffordable is that successive governments have sold off social housing and not replaced those units. Additionally the government has incentivised those with capital to invest in buy-to-let - which has led to the creation of a generation of new landlords who have been empowered by rising equity in the property they own and low interest rates.

Further, the government has failed to act on investors from outside the UK buy properties and allegedly leaving them empty - particularly in London.

This really does not have anything to do with immigration.

47% of all jobs could be automated by 2034.
    Most predictions about the future turn out to be wrong. They were probably saying the same thing in the 1960s about 1984. For a good example: Bladerunner is set in the year 2019.

How do you think that will pan out?

With all that unskilled, low wage labour coming here...................
    As we all should know, most immigration is from outside the EU. If you cannot control that to start with why do you think that exiting the EU will change the total number of immigrants?

There was a woman from UKIP on the Channel Four news this evening, she essentially said that letting EU immigrants in without checks was unfair on migrants wanting to come here from outside the EU - because we should let more of them in.

It's worth noting that UKIP is trying to recruit members/votes from ethnic minorities coming from outside the EU - that's probably the purpose in spouting such nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    I prefer EU migration to non-EU migration because EU countries are more developed and identify more with us culturally than the vast majority of non-EU countries

ReputationRep:

It is the likes of you that are the cause of the affordability problem in the UK housing market.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.