Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If 300,000 people arrive in the UK every year, you won't be able to buy a home! FACT Watch

ReputationRep:
    What's upsetting about people moving from one part of the British Empire to the other?

Spoiler:
    Show

Assuming it's not fellow Europeans coming in

ReputationRep:
    Urban flats will be way forward regardless of migration levels. Traditional houses could be in decline... and young people will have to "settle" for buying studio flats

ReputationRep:
    vote out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemting)
    Urban flats will be way forward regardless of migration levels. Traditional houses could be in decline... and young people will have to "settle" for buying studio flats
    can't swing a cat in those mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Our infrastructure is crumbling - our broadband is slow, NHS is swamped, our schools teach 30+ kids per class!!

No way can such low skilled labour pay enough tax to pay it's way in the UK. Be realistic we need a quota system opened up to the WORLD not just low cost European countries. We need skills!!
    we have an ageing population - many of the probs above are not just down to migrants, who are of working age. we do need to have some level of immigration cap which is what the negotiations were about

to detach from eu however would be a massive economic shock to the uk, bigger than 2008

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    I'll just immigrate to another country. Simples.
    Then you'll be an immigrants who doesn't like immigrants. Hypocrite!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Strongly disagree.

There's plenty of brownfield sites to support a sustainable population.
    But we don't have a sustainable population building just on brownfield sites the immigration figures are incorrect

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    You're wrong we have more than 300,000 entering the uk a year. Also over the last 5 yrs we have had 1m migrants, yet 2.5m national insurance claims. So we might be getting 1m immigrants+ a year, who knows.
    Have you included the NI numbers issued to British people when they reach 16?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Have you included the NI numbers issued to British people when they reach 16?
    That data is kept separately. NI numbers for British born children is created at birth although not issued.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...s-feb-2016.pdf

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asmuse123)
    Then you'll be an immigrants who doesn't like immigrants. Hypocrite!
    Yeah it's hypocritical but I'll hope to be a highly skilled immigrant.

ReputationRep:
    can't swing a cat in those mate.
    Haha that's true tbf

ReputationRep:
    To put OP's point about housing a better way...

The successive governments repeatedly brag about building 100,000 new homes a year...

Unless you are very wealthy, remaining in a open borders Europe where we welcome 400,000 Net people each year is voting for your own slavery of unmanageable ludicrously extortionate renting for the rest of your life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    To put OP's point about housing a better way...

The successive governments repeatedly brag about building 100,000 new homes a year...

Unless you are very wealthy, remaining in a open borders Europe where we welcome 400,000 Net people each year is voting for your own slavery of unmanageable ludicrously extortionate renting for the rest of your life
    Its quick how 300,000 can change to 400,000. I expect the next poster will claim 500,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Its quick how 300,000 can change to 400,000. I expect the next poster will claim 500,000.
    Well the figure for people from the eu registering for a ni number is 650k not the 250k of migrants that officially come from the eu on official migrant stats.

So....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Well the figure for people from the eu registering for a ni number is 650k not the 250k of migrants that officially come from the eu on official migrant stats.

So....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lets go for a million, I think that is a nice round number we can all rally around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I seem to recall the figure was about 357,000?

And rising year on year...
    And the prospect of newer nations joining the EU..

Hope i cleared that up for you buddy

Ok its 323,000 net migration so a fair way off 400k so will sort of concede that I was wrong originally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexschmalex)
    Whenever I'm on a train I see a bunch of empty land....there's space
    It's not like packing sardines, there are factors to consider other than land.

We can't afford to buy houses anyway.

ReputationRep:
    No it's drastically gone up over the last few years as our schools crumble and need updating.
    Swear my class at primary school had like 30 kids in it and that was like 8 years ago...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    I seem to recall the figure was about 357,000?

And rising year on year...
    And the prospect of newer nations joining the EU..

Hope i cleared that up for you buddy

Ok its 323,000 net migration so a fair way off 400k so will sort of concede that I was wrong originally
    You are wrong.

It's 323k net over 600k gross

Of which officially a quarter of a million of the 650k are from the eu

However the Eu figures are calculated by surveying a small amount of people who come in through ports and air ports then calculating (guessing) the real number.

The only truly accurate figure we have for eu migration is national insurance numbers issued to people from eu nations per year and that was over 600k just for the last year which is way higher the the official survey figures.

That number of course doesn't include family members that come with them that don't work or children.

People are up in arms about 323k net and the figure is much higher

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.