Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If 300,000 people arrive in the UK every year, you won't be able to buy a home! FACT Watch

ReputationRep:
    And then there is that ^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    You are wrong.

It's 323k net over 600k gross

Of which officially a quarter of a million of the 650k are from the eu

However the Eu figures are calculated by surveying a small amount of people who come in through ports and air ports then calculating (guessing) the real number.

The only truly accurate figure we have for eu migration is national insurance numbers issued to people from eu nations per year and that was over 600k just for the last year which is way higher the the official survey figures.

That number of course doesn't include family members that come with them that don't work or children.

People are up in arms about 323k net and the figure is much higher

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are assuming everyone from the EU stays in the UK permanently which is not very likely given some of them will be seasonal and temporary workers and some may be students getting part time work and leaving after they finish their studies.

The good thing about EU migrants is they can move back and forth between countries easily so there is little incentive for them to stay if they lose their job. They can travel to another EU country for work rather than stay in the UK to claim benefits like non EU migrants have to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    You are assuming everyone from the EU stays in the UK permanently which is not very likely given some of them will be seasonal and temporary workers and some may be students getting part time work and leaving after they finish their studies.

The good thing about EU migrants is they can move back and forth between countries easily so there is little incentive for them to stay if they lose their job. They can travel to another EU country for work rather than stay in the UK to claim benefits like non EU migrants have to.
    I'm not assuming anything we class someone as a migrant if they are planning to stay for a year or more so all students are supposed to be in the official figures.

Also I'm sure some of them are seasonal workers but to suggest that two thirds of them are seasonal is ludicrous.

On top of that seasonal or not they still need places to stay, jobs to work in and they consume services.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    I'm not assuming anything we class someone as a migrant if they are planning to stay for a year or more so all students are supposed to be in the official figures.

Also I'm sure some of them are seasonal workers but to suggest that two thirds of them are seasonal is ludicrous.

On top of that seasonal or not they still need places to stay, jobs to work in and they consume services.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its a bit silly to class students as migrants and then lump them together with benefits scroungers. British universities work hard to recruit higher paying foreign students but they get put off by the negativity surrounding migrants.

No wonder a lot of foreign students prefer more welcoming countries like Australia who appreciates the money foreign students
    bring into the country and at least pretend to like them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Its a bit silly to class students as migrants and then lump them together with benefits scroungers. British universities work hard to recruit higher paying foreign students but they get put off by the negativity surrounding migrants.

No wonder a lot of foreign students prefer more welcoming countries like Australia who appreciates the money foreign students
    bring into the country and at least pretend to like them.
    Well that's debatable as a large number of them decide to stay.

But either way that isn't the point the point is that the number of new ni numbers for people from the eu each year is more than double the supposed official figures for migrants

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    My point was that we can control migration to those areas we are lacking in domestic skills to fill.
    In order to prove that point you would have to show the demographics of the current non-EU migrants.

However, regardless of this, the government's stated policy is to reduce immigration to the "low tens of thousands". Give that they cannot even do this with non-EU migrants I think that any overall reduction is pie in the sky. I have seen that there is some research that shows that, in low income roles, immigration (overall, not just from the EU) does help keep wages in those jobs suppressed. However, I think this is an area for government to deal with via minimum wage legislation.

I do not know what roles EU migrants are filling in the low-end labour market - but clearly they are uprooting themselves in order to get jobs here, and overall unemployment is declining, so it is difficult to see it as a negative thing.

I understand that people see immigration as straining services, but I do believe that this is more of a case of under-investment over a long period rather than immigration itself being the problem. If you look at it in terms of the raw numbers 300,000 immigrants is under 0.5% of the population - if our services cannot cope with that then I think we have bigger problems.

ReputationRep:
    The country is being stuffed with everyone from everywhere so that when the economic collapse comes, a race war will be fomented to cover the move to the NWO (Agenda 2030 etc.).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.