Which would you put first?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady Comstock)
    Which would you put first?
    Personally, my own ambition
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The public good? I'd be slightly concerned if your ambitions harm the public...

Well my own ambition is to do something for the public good so I don't think I can answer your question :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    The public good, your positive actions will influence others, leading to an improvement on both your life and the lives of others

(Original post by Serine Soul)
    Well my own ambition is to do something for the public good so I don't think I can answer your question :dontknow:
    I was going to say the same thing :lol:

(Original post by FrenchUnicorn)
    I was going to say the same thing :lol:
    :five:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    The public good? I'd be slightly concerned if your ambitions harm the public...
    You can also put your own ambition above what's the optimum result in terms of the public good, i.e. a minister scheming to replace a perfectly good prime minister.

ReputationRep:
    Which is?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You can also put your own ambition above what's the optimum result in terms of the public good, i.e. a minister scheming to replace a perfectly good prime minister.
    Well if the result is replacing a good prime minister with a less good prime minister, you are harming the public.

ReputationRep:
    I believe in a realism perspective of human nature.

My own ambition every time.

Why? Because I'm simply not as 'good' as I could be.

Just like political philosopher Gerald Cohen once said about his egalitarian beliefs but his unwillingness to act on them.

Which is?
    I generally say I want to go into medical research or something like that but honestly, I filter out potential careers by seeing if they make a positive contribution to society or not

Sounds a bit cheesy, but that's just me

ReputationRep:
    Why would you prefer the "public good", the vast majority of the public don't know who you are and wouldn't care if you died tomorrow. It's gotta be your own ambition all the way

ReputationRep:
    I generally say I want to go into medical research or something like that but honestly, I filter out potential careers by seeing if they make a positive contribution to society or not

Sounds a bit cheesy, but that's just me
    Hmm, but weigh up these options:

Research assistant: 100% of your time dedicated to helping the public good.

vs.

Research facility director: 25% of your time dedicated to helping the public good, with the rest dedicated to bureaucracy, marketing, operations, etc. But you would receive much better pay and more prestige.

ReputationRep:
    Well if the result is replacing a good prime minister with a less good prime minister, you are harming the public.
    I don't think such a motivation is concerning in that situation.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't think such a motivation is concerning in that situation.
    Well I do, particularly if we're talking about something as major as running a country.

Hmm, but weigh up these options:

Research assistant: 100% of your time dedicated to helping the public good.

vs.

Research facility director: 25% of your time dedicated to helping the public good, with the rest dedicated to bureaucracy, marketing, operations, etc. But you would receive much better pay and more prestige.
    Option 1

Although I don't think there's much bureaucracy and marketing operations in academic research really. Industrial, maybe, but there's no way on earth I'm working for evil pharma

ReputationRep:
    Well I do, particularly if we're talking about something as major as running a country.
    Would you reject the offer of a civil servant job if you had met the other applicants and decided that one or more would make better civil servants than you?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Would you reject the offer of a civil servant job if you had met the other applicants and decided that one or more would make better civil servants than you?
    This is not really the same scenario as the one you talked about earlier. Earlier, you were talking about making a nefarious scheme to kick somebody better than you out of power with the full knowledge that they're better than you. Here, somebody with higher status than you has made a decision that you are the most appropriate person for the task and you presumably applied for the job because you thought you'd do a good job. There's also a slight difference in responsibility between a civil servant and prime minister.

ReputationRep:
    My own ambition. Can't be going around saving the world: got stuff to do.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.