The Student Room Group

lone pairs

in H2O ,, O has two lone pairs and the compound is polar ,, in CO2 oxygen also has two lone pairs and it is nonpolar.... I don't get how lone pairs effect the polarity of the compound
Original post by NoorL
in H2O ,, O has two lone pairs and the compound is polar ,, in CO2 oxygen also has two lone pairs and it is nonpolar.... I don't get how lone pairs effect the polarity of the compound

H is  δ+\ \delta^+ and O is  δ\ \delta^- where as C is non-polar. Therefore H2O is polar and CO2 is not.
Original post by zetamcfc
H is  δ+\ \delta^+ and O is  δ\ \delta^- where as C is non-polar. Therefore H2O is polar and CO2 is not.

I got it,, thanks a lot xxx
(edited 8 years ago)
does any compound that contains lone pairs become polar??
Reply 4
Actually, not true, I'm afraid.

C is delta+ and O is delta - in CO2. The bonds are polar, but the molecule is not. In CO2, the molecule is symmetrical so the dipoles cancel out.

In H2O, the molecule is not (fully) symmetrical, so the dipole do not cancel out.
Original post by Pigster

C is delta+ and O is delta - in CO2. The bonds are polar, but the molecule is not. In CO2, the molecule is symmetrical so the dipoles cancel out.

In H2O, the molecule is not (fully) symmetrical, so the dipole do not cancel out.

Whatever you say chief.
does the bulkiness of a compound make it nonpolar?? eg. a cyclo..
I think it's down to the electronegativity of its group the determines polarity
Original post by Pigster

thanks a lot for helping out
Original post by NoorL
does any compound that contains lone pairs become polar??

Please don´t make multiple threads on the same topic
lol okay sorry x

Quick Reply

Latest