Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone (I hope this is the right forum...)

I'm an international student and looking for advice on which uni to choose for my environmental degree. So far, I've heard back from the following unis (the last one would be Southampton):

-) York (MEnv Environment, Economics and Ecology with a year in industry - conditional offer subject to sending them my qualifications)
    Pros: Beautiful city + cheaper, year in industry, integrated master's degree, a lot of optional modules and core modules
    Cons: Not as 'prestigious' as LSE

-) Leeds (BA Environment and Business with a year in industry, unconditional offer)
    Pros: year in industry, cheaper, I talked to a teacher and a student at Leeds and was very impressed by the course structure, the variety of the courses etc., a friend of mine occasionally visits the city
    Cons: no integrated master's degree, not as 'prestigious' as LSE

-) LSE (BSc Environment and Development, unconditional offer)
    Pros: it's LSE, London (big, vibrant + political and financial centre), better job prospects
    Cons: no year in industry, no integrated master's degree, extremely expensive

At this point, I would (of course) choose LSE because of the reputation, the job prospects etc. HOWEVER, I initially wanted to apply for 'Environmental Policy with Economics', but I changed the course right before I sent off my application on UCAS, as I was kind of worried out by the maths course in the first year (and probably because I was stressed out that day and just stupid). Now, the problem is that 'Environment and Development' doesn't offer as many optional modules as 'Environmental Economics with Policy' - those modules are the ones I'm interested in - and the number of modules I can choose is limited (one in year 2 and two in year 3 - a total of 4 every year, whereas at Leeds/York I'd have up to 8 modules every year). Some of these courses that are just available in EEwP are ' ... available as an outside option to students on other programmes where regulations permit ... '. Does that mean that I could attend these courses? Has anyone had experience with this? The core modules are (nearly) the same.

Basically, the three things that stop me from choosing LSE are: the optional modules, no year in industry, no integrated master's degree. Should I even worry that much about the last two aspects or go for the LSE right away?

What about the rankings for environmental economics/politics?

What do you think?
    Any advice would be welcome! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm also an international student with an offer for LSE's Bsc in Environment and Development, and as it turns out, I'm also questioning whether I like it better than my Geography offer at Exeter and (hopefully) a Sustainable development offer from Edinburgh. I'm worried about the cost of living in London, as you are, but also about the reputation of LSE as a very cliquey and unsocial place. I don't want to let prestige overshadow my social life... Will you be attending the offer holders open day? I think that could be an opportunity to get to know both the program and the people.
    Good luck in your decision!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrob)
    Hello everyone (I hope this is the right forum...)

I'm an international student and looking for advice on which uni to choose for my environmental degree. So far, I've heard back from the following unis (the last one would be Southampton):

-) York (MEnv Environment, Economics and Ecology with a year in industry - conditional offer subject to sending them my qualifications)
    Pros: Beautiful city + cheaper, year in industry, integrated master's degree, a lot of optional modules and core modules
    Cons: Not as 'prestigious' as LSE

-) Leeds (BA Environment and Business with a year in industry, unconditional offer)
    Pros: year in industry, cheaper, I talked to a teacher and a student at Leeds and was very impressed by the course structure, the variety of the courses etc., a friend of mine occasionally visits the city
    Cons: no integrated master's degree, not as 'prestigious' as LSE

-) LSE (BSc Environment and Development, unconditional offer)
    Pros: it's LSE, London (big, vibrant + political and financial centre), better job prospects
    Cons: no year in industry, no integrated master's degree, extremely expensive

At this point, I would (of course) choose LSE because of the reputation, the job prospects etc. HOWEVER, I initially wanted to apply for 'Environmental Policy with Economics', but I changed the course right before I sent off my application on UCAS, as I was kind of worried out by the maths course in the first year (and probably because I was stressed out that day and just stupid). Now, the problem is that 'Environment and Development' doesn't offer as many optional modules as 'Environmental Economics with Policy' - those modules are the ones I'm interested in - and the number of modules I can choose is limited (one in year 2 and two in year 3 - a total of 4 every year, whereas at Leeds/York I'd have up to 8 modules every year). Some of these courses that are just available in EEwP are ' ... available as an outside option to students on other programmes where regulations permit ... '. Does that mean that I could attend these courses? Has anyone had experience with this? The core modules are (nearly) the same.

Basically, the three things that stop me from choosing LSE are: the optional modules, no year in industry, no integrated master's degree. Should I even worry that much about the last two aspects or go for the LSE right away?

What about the rankings for environmental economics/politics?

What do you think?
    Any advice would be welcome! Thanks!
    Hi! I'm applying to uni this year and for UCAS I've applied for pretty much the same courses haha (same for Leeds and LSE). I was wondering which uni did you choose to go to in the end? And what A Level/IB predicted grades did you get ?(cause of the unconditional offers!!! congrats!!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.