Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So my sister and my mum don't get along at all.
    This started when she was 16, as she got a boyfriend and my mum basically kicked her out of the house as she was talking about moving our behind my mums back. Fast forward almost 8 years and once again there is more anger between them. My sister to this day holds a grudge against my mother and has basically cut ties with my mother until she apologises for what happened 8 years ago. As well as this, my sister keeps calling me and our half brother (who is only 8 and can't defend himself) spoilt. She believe we shouldn't get anything and she should just because she has an almost 2 year old girl (neice). Obviously my brother is my father's priority, after all he is only young. But she thinks because she was first born she is priority. There's lots more thing that have happened including her slating both my parents in letters claiming they are the worst parents and that its their fault she failed her A-levels because they divorced ( that was about 3-4 years before her A-levels though?). She basically blames them for everything when it wasn't them it was her and her partner.
    Anyway enough of the rant.
    I don't know what to do now, she's not letting me see my niece, she only visits my nans when me and my mother are not there, but since my mother isn't currently working I never get to see her because she comes with me everywhere. I can't go to their house either as i'm not as close to my sister as i used to be since she got pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    too much drama XD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HuzaifahN)
    too much drama XD.
    haha I know, 8 years worth of it...

ReputationRep:
    can't you just talk to your sister somehow alone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilacwanda28)
    can't you just talk to your sister somehow alone?
    No I can't really talk to her or her partner, neither of them listen.
    Her words "I can't have any other peoples thoughts in my head as they are not mine"
    Its honestly like talking to a brick wall...

ReputationRep:
    It seems like she holds a lot of resentment towards the way she was treated by your parents in comparison to you and in turn, because you've been 'on your parents side' the anger had started to develop towards you too.

Whether you agree with her feelings or not you need to acknowledge them and so do your parents. She's lashing out in the only way she knows how and it's pushing people away but what she really wants and needs is a support network of family.

She got kicked out at 16 for discussing moving out with her bf at the time. All teenagers think that at some point and whether it actually happens or not is a different matter but did it merit being kicked out? I certainly don't think so, I think your parents do owe her an apology. A big one.

When you next speak to her, instead of starting up arguments about the nasty things she's saying or trying to change her viewpoints in some way, just ask how she is, ask how your neice is, just have a general nice conversation with your sister and if you continue to speak to her in this manner then maybe she'll begin to open up in the right way.

Good luck xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SallySparrow66)
    It seems like she holds a lot of resentment towards the way she was treated by your parents in comparison to you and in turn, because you've been 'on your parents side' the anger had started to develop towards you too.

Whether you agree with her feelings or not you need to acknowledge them and so do your parents. She's lashing out in the only way she knows how and it's pushing people away but what she really wants and needs is a support network of family.

She got kicked out at 16 for discussing moving out with her bf at the time. All teenagers think that at some point and whether it actually happens or not is a different matter but did it merit being kicked out? I certainly don't think so, I think your parents do owe her an apology. A big one.

When you next speak to her, instead of starting up arguments about the nasty things she's saying or trying to change her viewpoints in some way, just ask how she is, ask how your niece is, just have a general nice conversation with your sister and if you continue to speak to her in this manner then maybe she'll begin to open up in the right way.

Good luck xx
    Im not on my parents side. She is generally an awful person. She bullied my little brother because he was noisy and spoilt etc but he was just acting like a normal child. She believes everything is about her and even ruined special events for me etc such as my birthdays where she believes its still about her even though its my birthday.

We acknowledge her feelings but she doesn't acknowledge anyone elses. she believes she is the most important person and that if we have any money it must be spent on her because she doesn't have any money. She has never worked and she has learnt to play the benefits system and refuses to work so she has an easier life on benefits.

She wasn't discussing moving out with her boyfriend. She was discussing it with my nan because my nan is naive and she just wanted somewhere where she could sleep with her boyfriend.

I don't start any arguments, I'm nice to her and i do my best not to talk to her as its like walking on egg shells. If we say anything to her she takes it offensively and tries to start arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninjasayshi)
    Im not on my parents side. She is generally an awful person. She bullied my little brother because he was noisy and spoilt etc but he was just acting like a normal child. She believes everything is about her and even ruined special events for me etc such as my birthdays where she believes its still about her even though its my birthday.

We acknowledge her feelings but she doesn't acknowledge anyone elses. she believes she is the most important person and that if we have any money it must be spent on her because she doesn't have any money. She has never worked and she has learnt to play the benefits system and refuses to work so she has an easier life on benefits.

She wasn't discussing moving out with her boyfriend. She was discussing it with my nan because my nan is naive and she just wanted somewhere where she could sleep with her boyfriend.

I don't start any arguments, I'm nice to her and i do my best not to talk to her as its like walking on egg shells. If we say anything to her she takes it offensively and tries to start arguments.
    Okay. If you dislike her so much then why do you keep trying with her? If your answer is purely because she's your sister and you want to repair that bond or whatever - how do you think she would feel reading what you just wrote about her?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest she wouldn't care what I wrote she would just reply with that I'm jealous over her and that I should get some friends.
    There is no bond to be fixed.
    There hasn't been a bond ever.
    We used to get along but not like sisters more like just friends.
    It's not her I want to fix a relationship with as she doesn't really understand she is hurting me too but when I try to tell her she doesn't like and reply with that I'm just spoilt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.