Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Any key information I should know or could possibly use on Amazon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm68)
    Would you be penalised for using your e-commerce knowledge and examples in section B. For example a question in the 2013 paper asked " To what extent do you think that large companies are likely to increase in size further over the next 20 years"
    To me this seems like a perfect opportunity to talk about the increase in rate of technological change but I'm unsure whether it would be seen as too much of a section one answer.
    Not at all - there may be some crossover. Eg the organisational culture of pure-play e-commerce businesses; the need for leadership to drive digital innovation; the overall external environment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_forcellati)
    Hi could anyone please advise on the following.......
    retrenchment best evidence?
    EU for and against best evidence?
    happy to exchange any notes but section B looking harder than section A for me.
    For unsuccessful retrenchment, you could use BHS which involved delayering, cutting head office employment by one third, closing 40 to 80 stores and 370 job losses. Yet it didnt work as they still went into administration so you could argue that retrenchment isn't always the best way as other things need to be considered such as consumer tastes changing which is one argument for why BHS went into administration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadder1224)
    guys section b and a research here, please add with help, we can form a good evidence resource :

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing
    You may want to fix the thread

ReputationRep:
    What bullet point do you think will come up in section A?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm68)
    To what extent do you think that large companies are likely to increase in size further over the next 20 years.
    So what are some good examples of what you'd write to a question like that?

ReputationRep:
    In support of the question I was thinking about the cost savings due to increased rate of technological change due to sourcing low cost suppliers globally (e.g IBM, General Motors), and through implementation of EDI(Grocery Market)
    Other hand, talk about lower barriers to entry, pure plays such as Uber

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm68)
    In support of the question I was thinking about the cost savings due to increased rate of technological change due to sourcing low cost suppliers globally (e.g IBM, General Motors), and through implementation of EDI(Grocery Market)
    Other hand, talk about lower barriers to entry, pure plays such as Uber
    How would low barrier to entry enable large companies to keep growing bigger?

ReputationRep:
    she wrote 'other hand' so that means lower barriers to entry will NOT enable large companies to keep growing bigger because that means that there is a chance for new entrants to disrupt the market.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't, that was my opposing argument, lower barriers to entry would lead to downwards pressure on prices, reducing revenues across the market and, thus, margins. This would reduce the effectiveness of growth strategies implemented by larger firms.
    Definitely not a great argument but I'm struggling with an against on this question,

ReputationRep:
    Guys what would you write when there is a question on section A talking about the future? Such as " To what extent will the rapid growth of ecommerce benefit businesses " ? Or something like about the opportunities in the future or how ecommerce will be in the future..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm68)
    It wouldn't, that was my opposing argument, lower barriers to entry would lead to downwards pressure on prices, reducing revenues across the market and, thus, margins. This would reduce the effectiveness of growth strategies implemented by larger firms.
    Definitely not a great argument but I'm struggling with an against on this question,
    Yeah, my bad was having a stupid moment and for some reason assumed that was a 'for' but yeah, that makes sense as a good 'against'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anilmg98)
    Guys what would you write when there is a question on section A talking about the future? Such as " To what extent will the rapid growth of ecommerce benefit businesses " ? Or something like about the opportunities in the future or how ecommerce will be in the future..
    Tend to use past examples, yet, after every paragraph, when linking it back to the answer, just acknowledge that the examples applied are from the past, and thus may be different in the future - getting you some evaluation marks also.

EXAMPLE FOR:
    Point - enables organizations to improve financial position via revenue increases, with little cost increases - meaning firms can exploit economies of scale.
    Analysis - despite making up a small amount of global GDP, online transactions are growing, and therefore more customers wish to purchase online. Taping into this customers base will ultimately increase the sales and therefore profits a firm can generate.
    Examples - John Lewis increasing online investments
    Link back to question - while this has happened in the past, it may not happen in the future. Markets that have high barriers to entry from monopolistic firms such as Amazon and eBay in the online retail market are clear examples of this, therefore an online expansion while could be beneficial, may also be disastrous as markets customers become increasingly loyal to existing monopolies.

ReputationRep:
    I'm predicting section A to be linked to bullet point 1 or 4, and section B to be either retrenchment, leadership or EU.

ReputationRep:
    Many businesses, such as Tesco plc, the supermarket, and Barclays plc, the bank,claim that they make decisions that take account of different stakeholders’ views. To what extent do you think that the managers of a business should focus on theirshareholders’ needs and ignore their other stakeholders when making strategicdecisions? Justify your answer with reference to Tesco, Barclays and/or any otherbusinesses that you know. (40 marks)

This is a section B question. Where is says "Justify your answer with reference to Tesco, Barclays and/or any other businesses that you know." do you have to use Tesco and or Barclays in your answer or is this optional?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjwainers)
    I'm predicting section A to be linked to bullet point 1 or 4, and section B to be either retrenchment, leadership or EU.
    Think you're spot on there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjwainers)
    Oh so you're a psychic?

ReputationRep:
    What are possible retrenchment questions?

ReputationRep:
    Businesses with good ethics...and reasons why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Business Boy)
    Oh so you're a psychic?
    Or that they're just basing it off what hasn't come up before? Just appreciate that someone is being helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.