Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the help everyone.
    here is a blog my teacher set up for all theory to do with BUSS3.

a2businessstudiesbcs.blogspot.co .uk

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else really worried for BUSS3? Feel like I know what I'm doing, done mindmaps for each topic and learnt my formulas, not really sure what more I can do.

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think investment appraisal will come up? Since it came up last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gkgs)
    Do you guys think investment appraisal will come up? Since it came up last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah last year was so heavy number based i have a feeling the 10 marker will be a written answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thestudier98)
    How do you think it will come up, do you think they'll ask us too calculate some moving averages or do you think they'll give us the moving averages and ask us about the usefulness of them?
    Maybe calculating moving averages. Or maybe there won't be a specific questions on it but they'll give us the Information to calculate it and use it as application in a question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello,I've literally not studied BUSS3 at all. Nothing, even content wise.

I am self teaching and left business studying out of the way as I was concentrating on Economics & Maths.

Could someone please tell me they key topics I should learn and are likely to come up?I'm aware this is the last BUSS3 exam for old spec therefore any topics that haven't been covered over previous exams will come up in this exam. Does anyone know what they are if there are any that haven't been covered previously.

Also, any advice on where to start with my revision. Literally have two days.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain what net present value and how is it useful in the investment appraisal? Thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    Is there not going to be a retake paper released for buss3 and 4 next year for students who wish to retake on a gap year? Its a bit unfair since we would be the only year that hasn't gotten a retake paper?

Hopefully it won't come down to retaking but just saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JunkoR.)
    Can someone explain what net present value and how is it useful in the investment appraisal? Thanks alot
    NPV is just using the net return from each year and mulitplying this by the DF and totalling these up. this will give how much the project is worth after a set number of year. this is useful to compare to other options that are possible or to meet aims.
    this is useful as an accurate and viable measure to justify investment but is not reliable as the DF is predicted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riab8)
    Is there not going to be a retake paper released for buss3 and 4 next year for students who wish to retake on a gap year? Its a bit unfair since we would be the only year that hasn't gotten a retake paper?

Hopefully it won't come down to retaking but just saying.
    yes there will be a retake option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AfroBella)
    Maybe calculating moving averages. Or maybe there won't be a specific questions on it but they'll give us the Information to calculate it and use it as application in a question

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How do you calculate moving averages? I've never been taught it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessicaw2108)
    How do you calculate moving averages? I've never been taught it?
    Hey. So, you will be given a sheet/table of data about the sales the business has made every month (so that they can find the underlying trend). Draw up a column next to the table and then write you answers in the table. You have to calculate the sales made quarterly (3 months) and add up the sales for those 3 months and divide it by 3 to get an average. Something like this:

Jan 2008:
    Feb 2008:
    Mar 2008:
    Apr 2008:
    May 2008:
    Jun 2008:
    July 2008:
    Aug 2008:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTeresaLover)
    Hey. So, you will be given a sheet/table of data about the sales the business has made every month (so that they can find the underlying trend). Draw up a column next to the table and then write you answers in the table. You have to calculate the sales made quarterly (3 months) and add up the sales for those 3 months and divide it by 3 to get an average. Something like this:

Jan 2008:
    Feb 2008:
    Mar 2008:
    Apr 2008:
    May 2008:
    Jun 2008:
    July 2008:
    Aug 2008:
    Lol, didn't even finish it and clicked on submit by mistake!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, didn't even finish it and clicked on submit by mistake!
    So if sales were 45000, 50000, 60000 then you would add the three up to get 155,000 then divide by 3 for average of 51666.66666 as an average and the answer?

ReputationRep:

Jan 2008: 25
    Feb 2008: 34
    Mar 2008: 20
    Apr 2008: 24
    May 2008: 40
    Jun 2008: 35
    July 2008: 20
    Aug 2008: 32

So to find the average of Feb (You can't do Jan because you haven't been given the value for it) you do:
    Jan+Feb+March/3 => 25+34+20/3 =26.3 So you write that near in the column for Feb.

You continue doing that until you reach the end. So basically, to find the average of a month, you do; previous month + desired month + next month=Average

You then plot the average values in the graph, against the original one.

Hope it helped. And sorry for the previous mistake!

ReputationRep:

Jan 2008: 25
    Feb 2008: 34
    Mar 2008: 20
    Apr 2008: 24
    May 2008: 40
    Jun 2008: 35
    July 2008: 20
    Aug 2008: 32

So to find the average of Feb (You can't do Jan because you haven't been given the value for it) you do:
    Jan+Feb+March/3 => 25+34+20/3 =26.3 So you write that near in the column for Feb.

You continue doing that until you reach the end. So basically, to find the average of a month, you do; previous month + desired month + next month=Average

You then plot the average values in the graph, against the original one.

Hope it helped. And sorry for the previous mistake!
    Do you think moving averages will come up this year? My teacger spent about 10 minutes of a lesson earlier on in the year to reach them to us. I didn't think they were of much importance.

I've been told that the key to Buss 3 is using the data provided i.e. manipulating the data to answer the question. If the question is on human resources then there is likely to be a table on human resource in the appendices , if you use the data provided you can reach top level of application. You only need to reach the top level once throughout you paragraphs,It doesn't need to be consistent. Its better if it is but it is not critical. The analysis is awarded for explaining the data in generic terms before you use it, i.e. explain the benefits of soft hrm then using data to show how the business is benefiting by soft hrm etc.

Hope this is helpful. Please correct me if i've got it wrong because really need an A in this exam and buss 4.
    Can anyone tell me good business to use in buss4 as I'm really struggling to find suitable businesses. Running out of time as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessedge)
    Do you think moving averages will come up this year? My teacger spent about 10 minutes of a lesson earlier on in the year to reach them to us. I didn't think they were of much importance.

I've been told that the key to Buss 3 is using the data provided i.e. manipulating the data to answer the question. If the question is on human resources then there is likely to be a table on human resource in the appendices , if you use the data provided you can reach top level of application. You only need to reach the top level once throughout you paragraphs,It doesn't need to be consistent. Its better if it is but it is not critical. The analysis is awarded for explaining the data in generic terms before you use it, i.e. explain the benefits of soft hrm then using data to show how the business is benefiting by soft hrm etc.

Hope this is helpful. Please correct me if i've got it wrong because really need an A in this exam and buss 4.
    Can anyone tell me good business to use in buss4 as I'm really struggling to find suitable businesses. Running out of time as well
    Hey, I'm not sure to be honest! But I had a gut feeling that it might come up when I was revising for it. And yes, you seem to be on the right tracks for the GAP but for GAn, just make sure that you link your argument back to the case study so that it shows that you are in context - so something like.... the increase in profits means that the business will be able to achieve its objective of opening new branches/stores..(or something along those lines).

Also, I am aware of the fact that in BUSS4 we only need to show GAP AND GAn once in a paragraph and then we cannot get marked down. But I am not sure whether this applies to BUSS3. I checked the mark scheme but it doesn't say anything about that. Maybe someone could ask Tutor2u about this!

Also, for the businesses to use in the BUSS4 exam, Tutor2u have a whole list (accompanied by articles, which can be found on as separate articles on their website) and that is really useful.

Good luck to you and everyone for their exam!

ReputationRep:
    lmao i'm looking through all this realizing just how much i'm gonna fail. i literally know nothing, this is great

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm not sure to be honest! But I had a gut feeling that it might come up when I was revising for it. And yes, you seem to be on the right tracks for the GAP but for GAn, just make sure that you link your argument back to the case study so that it shows that you are in context - so something like.... the increase in profits means that the business will be able to achieve its objective of opening new branches/stores..(or something along those lines).

Also, I am aware of the fact that in BUSS4 we only need to show GAP AND GAn once in a paragraph and then we cannot get marked down. But I am not sure whether this applies to BUSS3. I checked the mark scheme but it doesn't say anything about that. Maybe someone could ask Tutor2u about this!

Also, for the businesses to use in the BUSS4 exam, Tutor2u have a whole list (accompanied by articles, which can be found on as separate articles on their website) and that is really useful.

Good luck to you and everyone for their exam!
    Thank you. I will have a look on the tutor2u website for the businesses.
    I still don't understand how something so small (moving averages) could be manipulated into either a 10 maker or an 18 marker? Or do you think it will be used as application if you wanted?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wickedisgood)
    lmao i'm looking through all this realizing just how much i'm gonna fail. i literally know nothing, this is great
    ditto lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.