Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you write your essay in the first person, it may sound ridiculous but I find myself going in and out of different tenses and I think it would be more appropriate to just stick to one to get the highest grade, what one should I use. I think it's third but I'm not sure.

The essay title is "critically discuss"

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizmoo0721)
    Do you write your essay in the first person, it may sound ridiculous but I find myself going in and out of different tenses and I think it would be more appropriate to just stick to one to get the highest grade, what one should I use. I think it's third but I'm not sure.

Thanks
    When you say 'tense', do you mean 'person'? You're right that usually academic essays are in the third person - it's often discouraged to write in the first person, i.e. 'I think'.
    As for tense, that will depend on the type of essay - history essays are usually in the past tense, for instance.
    Hope that helps!
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by lizmoo0721)

Thanks
    I think you're talking about 'grammatical person/narrative' rather than tense? (Tense is past/present/future).

I would avoid using first person and instead stick to using the passive voice, but this really isn't a hard and fast rule. I'd avoid phrases like "I think x because y" and use phrases like "there is strong evidence to support x such as [evidence, evidence, evidence]" because the latter sounds more informed/academic.

Remember you're being critical, the marker wants to see that you can interpret an analyse the subject. They're not really interested in your personal opinions, they want you to make a strong argument based on wide reading and evidence.

Do you have any examples about what you mean when you're switching between voices?
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by gutenberg)
    As for tense, that will depend on the type of essay - history essays are usually in the past tense, for instance.
    Hope that helps!
    Not if you're making your analysis through discussing current academic research/journals. :hide:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Not if you're making your analysis through discussing current academic research/journals. :hide:
    If you're discussing historiography then you could use the present tense, though with things that are a bit older past tense also works

ReputationRep:
    like everyone else says id stick to third person, Studies were conducted on.... Several examples show.... Evidence of this can be seen in an experiment conducted by... where x happened and results were x.

when asked to give a critical bias (not an opinion) in a piece of writing try to phrase it in third person too, I like to list the pros and cons of each theory and then say something like: however aggressive spillover hypothesis demonstrates a higher likelihood due to X studies which showed a positive correlation/reaction when observing the behaviour of X animal therefore it is likely the closest able to explain X reason and benefits of X behaviour in animals. Don't use I think X because X because that's your opinion and isn't based on facts

ReputationRep:
    third person i.e. J. Doe et all (2009) argue that.... however

I don't think it matters too much whether you put argue or argued, although I personally prefer using the present tense and have always got good grades, but keep it consistent

ReputationRep:
    Lol I angst a bit about what tense to use. Feels a bit weird saying 'Freud argues' or whatever when he's long dead, even though I know that many academics would consider that to be an appropriate use of tense

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.