Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm graduating this year and have applied for a job at a private school as an English teacher. They are offering to train non-qualified teachers on the job, so it sounds like a pretty good deal to me, especially as the school is highly regarded in the area too.
    Has anyone done this before? Also, has anyone got any tips in regards to going for a teaching interview? How likely will it be that they ask me to teach a lesson on the day? That's the part that's scaring me the most, especially as I am not a qualified teacher!!

Any help would be really appreciated, thank you

ReputationRep:
    This sounds similar to what I did. My experience was unlike yours in two respects, but on the whole it probably balances out:

a) I had no training whatsoever (on-the-job or no!) so was really thrown straight in. In that sense you definitely have a better deal if they are offering to help you. If you ever wanted to formally qualify later there's always the assessment-only route that you can do within your school.

b) On the other hand, I only started on 9 hours per week of teaching (plus a bit of private tuition when I could) - so I had a lot of time to plan, mark and reflect. If you are timetabled to teach more than this (likely) then you will feel even more thrown in at the deep end than I did (even with the support that you describe).

Teaching a lesson as part of the interview process is standard procedure but they will always warn you in advance (if ever this is sprung on you then RUN FOR THE HILLS - a good school would never do this!).

In terms of other prep for the interview I have a whole list of potential interview questions that I could send you if you give me your email address. I fill out my answers to all of them (kind of like filling in a form) before going for an interview so that I am maximally prepared. It's just a chance to reflect on multiple aspects of pedagogy.

Ultimately I taught unqualified for 6 years before finally qualifying. Now I've been teaching for nearly 8 years in total and I don't regret it at all.

Do ask if you have any more questions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.