Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Iowa passed bills to allow children of all age use guns Watch

ReputationRep:
    A bill that allows children of all ages to handle guns passed Iowa’s house of representatives on Tuesday.

Approved by a 62-36 vote, the bill permits children under the age of 14 to have “a pistol, revolver or the ammunition” while under parental supervision. The bill will now head to the state senate.

It’s our impression that most, and probably all, states allow minors to possess firearms with parental supervision,” Allison Anderman, staff attorney for the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, said. “If there are age limitations on possession with parental supervision, they vary by state.”

State representative Kirsten Running-Marquardt, who opposes the bill, said it “allows for one-year-olds, two-year-olds, three-year-olds, four-year-olds to operate handguns”, according to CBS-affiliate KCCI. She added: “We do not need a militia of toddlers.”

Currently in Iowa, children can legally use long guns and shotguns under adult supervision but not handguns. This bill would change that, allowing the use of handguns as long as parents are 21 years old and maintain “visual and verbal contact at all times with the supervised person”. Children would still not be able to purchase firearms on their own.

State representative Jake Highfill told the Washington Post that the new law “gives the power back to parents”.

“Allowing people to learn at a young age the respect that a gun commands is one of the most important things you can do,”

Highfill said.The alternative, he added, is “turning 18 with no experience”.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...en-handle-guns

The only thing that stops a bad toddler with guns is a good toddler with guns.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus take the wheel

ReputationRep:
    For a state that let down Trump I'm not surprised.

ReputationRep:
    This is a good change.

How is a 1-year old supposed to defend itself against a gunman? Obviously you supply the 1-year old with a gun. Duh.

ReputationRep:
    Lowa is pure banter.
    The US is BANTEROUS

ReputationRep:
    Parent: do your homework jimmy
    Jimmy: no, shoots parent.

ReputationRep:
    How stupid. You here cases on the news where children accidentally shoot and kill someone. The US needs some gun control laws.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Da RainForest)
    Lowa is pure banter.
    The US is BANTEROUS
    You misspelled "CANCEROUS"...

ReputationRep:
    BUT NOPE THIS IS TOO DANGEROUS

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, this is the country that may well elect Donald 'build-a-wall-and-get-Mexico-to-pay-for-it' Trump over Hillary Clinton....

Nothing should surprise you anymore. They're as backward as the Middle-Eastern states that they so loathe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username002)
    You misspelled "CANCEROUS"...
    hahahahahahaaaaa more so

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem. We have a law in the UK that allows 15 year olds to own shotguns if they were gifted to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The idea of this is that parents can teach children how to handle a gun properly which, whilst guns are easily available, is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    I don't see the problem. We have a law in the UK that allows 15 year olds to own shotguns if they were gifted to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but we can assume that a 15 year old is somewhat more sensible than a 1 year old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TuppenceB)
    Yes but we can assume that a 15 year old is somewhat more sensible than a 1 year old
    You would think so wouldn't you, some people really surprise me...

ReputationRep:
    America's ridiculous gun fetish is legit the main reason I could never live there, how can you have a state senate think a 21 year old parent is smart enough to decide whether or not their kid should handle a gun? Absolute insanity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Username002)
    You would think so wouldn't you, some people really surprise me...
    Not really given I am 15 myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CuriosityKTMC)
    The idea of this is that parents can teach children how to handle a gun properly which, whilst guns are easily available, is necessary.
    Exactly. It's under parental supervision, I don't see the problem. I shot a shotgun in my early teens, I think the main problem is kickback, which could hurt someone young. A handgun isn't going to have that problem.

ReputationRep:
    Law doesn't go far enough. They need to drop the parental supervision and allow for concealed carry at kindergarten.

ReputationRep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.