Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I was hoping for some guidance. I currently work in IT and have been doing so for the last 3-4 years. I work in a technical role and have got to the point in my career where i cant get into the field of networking as i haven’t got qualifications in that field even though i do have a good understanding of this field.

I work full time and have managed to do well at my job simply by learning by watching videos on the internet.

I am trying to find a class room, part time course (ideally evening) to study and its impossible to find any courses! I’ve checked my college website & surrounding colleges but cant find any course. I live in Milton Keynes and I’m happy to travel 25-30 miles.

any ideas on where to go next to find any of the following courses?

Comptia Network+
    Comptia Security+
    Cisco CCNA

Thank you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jdotr)
    Hi everyone. I was hoping for some guidance. I currently work in IT and have been doing so for the last 3-4 years. I work in a technical role and have got to the point in my career where i cant get into the field of networking as i haven’t got qualifications in that field even though i do have a good understanding of this field.

I work full time and have managed to do well at my job simply by learning by watching videos on the internet.

I am trying to find a class room, part time course (ideally evening) to study and its impossible to find any courses! I’ve checked my college website & surrounding colleges but cant find any course. I live in Milton Keynes and I’m happy to travel 25-30 miles.

any ideas on where to go next to find any of the following courses?

Comptia Network+
    Comptia Security+
    Cisco CCNA

Thank you
    Hi jdotr,

I recall going through a Cisco course (via Cisco Network Academy) and eventually becoming CCNA certified, although this expired after 3 years during university. Usually professional certificates are catered for as and when required by your employer - have you spoken to your employer about becoming certified?

You've worked for a good several years in IT as you say, what sort of role is it exactly?

Also note that the professional qualifications are far more useful when backed by relevant commercial experience. Is your current role relevant?

Study wise, much of it can be done from the comfort of your home these days, although there a practical elements that would possibly require an appropriate network lab (unless you already have the equipment) - so perhaps, as you've mentioned, contact nearby institutions offering courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Hi jdotr,

I recall going through a Cisco course (via Cisco Network Academy) and eventually becoming CCNA certified, although this expired after 3 years during university. Usually professional certificates are catered for as and when required by your employer - have you spoken to your employer about becoming certified?

You've worked for a good several years in IT as you say, what sort of role is it exactly?

Also note that the professional qualifications are far more useful when backed by relevant commercial experience. Is your current role relevant?

Study wise, much of it can be done from the comfort of your home these days, although there a practical elements that would possibly require an appropriate network lab (unless you already have the equipment) - so perhaps, as you've mentioned, contact nearby institutions offering courses.
    Well my IT career started in 2012, since then ive worked as a helpdesk analyst, field service engineer (fixing/configuring MFP's), On-site IT support/Desktop support & now im working as a 2nd line support analyst. My current role is more Microsoft Server/Microsoft OS /bespoke application support. But i would prefer a role in Networking/Network engineer/Network security. We do have a network team but i'd need some sort of experience/qualifications to get into that department.

I may just go ahead with self study and set up a lab at home as i cant seem to find any classes who teach any of the ocurses

ReputationRep:
    it's possible you can learn new technologies then automatic you get job

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.