Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is going to happen with University prediction grades with the new A levels ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    We don't do AS levels anymore ?
    I'm scared the Uni's will reject me straight away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im.a.witch)
    You will almost certainly do internal end of year progress exams. Those results together with all of the other knowledge and data your teachers have about you will be used to decide what grade to predict for you. Everyone else will be in the same situation, why should universities pick on you to reject straight away?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Unis will reject you straight away if your predicted grades are quite a bit off their typical offers and/or you don't have a good personal statement and reference. Not because you aren't doing AS's anymore, as said in the post above everyone is in the same boat, really it's just that your first year exams don't form a qualification anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    You will almost certainly do internal end of year progress exams. Those results together with all of the other knowledge and data your teachers have about you will be used to decide what grade to predict for you. Everyone else will be in the same situation, why should universities pick on you to reject straight away?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you. I didn't mean me personally I just know some colleges do the AS qualifications still just to get the AS level then continue on to A level but some colleges DO NOT. I thought universities may scrutinize this.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. I didn't mean me personally I just know some colleges do the AS qualifications still just to get the AS level then continue on to A level but some colleges DO NOT. I thought universities may scrutinize this.
    Some people will be doing subjects that have not changed and will get an AS in them that counts towards their final grade, some people will be doing an AS in the updated subjects, some people will have no AS results. Universities are very experienced at picking out the candidates they think are right for their programmes. You can rely on them to cope with the situation without unfairly disadvantaging anyone who has no AS results.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gdunne42)
    Some people will be doing subjects that have not changed and will get an AS in them that counts towards their final grade, some people will be doing an AS in the updated subjects, some people will have no AS results. Universities are very experienced at picking out the candidates they think are right for their programmes. You can rely on them to cope with the situation without unfairly disadvantaging anyone who has no AS results.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you. That's really made me feel better !

ReputationRep:
    At my school we get told not to put our AS grades on UCAS anyway, cause techincally they are 'pending' as cash ins dont come into effect till the end of the year.

Everyone still gets their offers... just of the PS and Predicted Grades

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, remember that a lot of people will be in the same boat, and universities are aware of the way A-levels are changing. Universities will probably look more closely at your GCSEs, as well as considering your predicted grades, your reference and your personal statement. Why do you think you'll be rejected straight away?

Obviously, performance at GCSE doesn't always match closely to performance at A2, but I would expect referees to justify predicted grades that seem wildly off- e.g. AAA predictions for a student who got B/C grades at GCSE.

Some unis may give out more offers, because they expect more applicants to miss their offers. I think that there will be a lot of movement on results day via clearing and adjustment in the first few years under the new system.

It wasn't that long ago that AS grades didn't have to be cashed in, and therefore added to your UCAS application, and for some private schools this is still the case.

PQ Carnationlilyrose Any thoughts on this?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    It's going to be utter chaos - but universities are likely to err on the side of caution. It makes more sense to make an AAA offer to someone predicted AAA even if their GCSEs aren't great than to reject them. Anyone accepting an AAA offer still needs to meet the conditions to be sure of a place.

(Original post by contradicta)
    At my school we get told not to put our AS grades on UCAS anyway, cause techincally they are 'pending' as cash ins dont come into effect till the end of the year.

Everyone still gets their offers... just of the PS and Predicted Grades
    All state schools cash in AS levels at the end of Yr12. Your school is unusual and advice that your teachers cave you doesn't apply to the vast majority of applicants.

ReputationRep:

That universities were able to make offers in the days before AS was even thought of, and they will be able to do so just fine now they have gone again. It's ridiculous for OP to be 'scared they'll be rejected'. Do they think universities are going to stop making offers and close down? Or that everyone else is doing AS levels secretly and only they are not? The same factors that allowed offers to be made before AS existed will be employed now: GCSE grades, references based on performance in class and internal mocks, and predicted grades. The sky isn't going to fall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It's going to be utter chaos - but universities are likely to err on the side of caution. It makes more sense to make an AAA offer to someone predicted AAA even if their GCSEs aren't great than to reject them. Anyone accepting an AAA offer still needs to meet the conditions to be sure of a place.
    Would you be aiming to give more offers than usual, expecting more candidates than usual to miss their offers?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Would you be aiming to give more offers than usual, expecting more candidates than usual to miss their offers?
    It will depend on the mix of qualifications applicants are coming in with. But yes probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It will depend on the mix of qualifications applicants are coming in with. But yes probably.
    Sorry, I am aware I'm basically asking you to predict the future

Although my prediction is results day and the week or so after will be pretty chaotic!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Sorry, I am aware I'm basically asking you to predict the future

Although my prediction is results day and the week or so after will be pretty chaotic!
    Another reason BTECs are suddenly appealing more and more to universities :ninjagirl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

All state schools cash in AS levels at the end of Yr12. Your school is unusual and advice that your teachers cave you doesn't apply to the vast majority of applicants.
    I go to a state school. I did think it was pretty weird but thats how they have always done it. My main point was that unis clearly can and do make offers without knowing AS grades.

ReputationRep:
    I go to a state school. I did think it was pretty weird but thats how they have always done it. My main point was that unis clearly can and do make offers without knowing AS grades.
    Your school is breaking the rules then, and potentially putting all your applications at risk by doing things this way.

Obviously unis can make offers without knowing AS grades- it wasn't that long ago that the cashing in rules didn't apply so lots of people applied without listing their AS grades, and of course unis have been giving offers since long before AS levels even existed.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    http://university.which.co.uk/advice...as-application
    Since the summer of 2011, state-funded schools and colleges in England have been required to ‘cash-in’, or declare, the AS qualifications taken by pupils at the end of Year 12 in order to receive funding. As a result, state-funded schools and colleges in England are likely to cash-in all AS qualifications at the end of Year 12.

These new arrangements do not apply to:
    • * independent schools
    • * state-funded schools and colleges in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland
    • * overseas schools.

ReputationRep:
    That's cleared it up - my school isn't in England.

ReputationRep:
    many sixth forms even now will still be sitting AS exams this year- these will be used for predicted grades
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    That's cleared it up - my school isn't in England.
    It isn't even in the UK if your profile is correct

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.