The Student Room Group

Interested in teaching. Where to start?

Hi guys,

I'll give a bit of background first as I don't have any experience around teaching. I graduated last year from York with a 2:2 in economics which wasn't great but I had some big mitigating circumstances from my second year which dragged me down. I took a bit of time out travelling this year to think about what I wanted to do next. Doing an economics degree I always had ideas of going into the city after university but an office job 9-5 seems really uninteresting to me right now and not the right career for me. It struck me earlier this week after talking to a friend who's currently doing a PGCE and teaching in a school about how rewarding a career in teaching is compared to a more 'normal' job, the satisfaction of helping students cannot be compared to. Combined with this I have a passion for mathematics and would love to be able to teach it. I've always performed well at the subject, even at university I still got firsts on my maths modules, and have found it to be more engaging then anything else i've done. After talking to a few more people doing teaching i'm aware of the challenges but i'm really keen on pursuing a career.

I'm aware of schemes such as Teach First and Schools Direct but my issue lies in how to get the experience to make it onto a teaching course and the route through which I should do it. Any suggestions or links to materials which can help me gain ideas in order to make a start towards becoming a maths teacher would be of great help.

TL;DR- Had an epiphany that I would like to teach Maths. No experience in the area and would like to get started.
Reply 1
Original post by Benny100
Hi guys,

I'll give a bit of background first as I don't have any experience around teaching. I graduated last year from York with a 2:2 in economics which wasn't great but I had some big mitigating circumstances from my second year which dragged me down. I took a bit of time out travelling this year to think about what I wanted to do next. Doing an economics degree I always had ideas of going into the city after university but an office job 9-5 seems really uninteresting to me right now and not the right career for me. It struck me earlier this week after talking to a friend who's currently doing a PGCE and teaching in a school about how rewarding a career in teaching is compared to a more 'normal' job, the satisfaction of helping students cannot be compared to. Combined with this I have a passion for mathematics and would love to be able to teach it. I've always performed well at the subject, even at university I still got firsts on my maths modules, and have found it to be more engaging then anything else i've done. After talking to a few more people doing teaching i'm aware of the challenges but i'm really keen on pursuing a career.

I'm aware of schemes such as Teach First and Schools Direct but my issue lies in how to get the experience to make it onto a teaching course and the route through which I should do it. Any suggestions or links to materials which can help me gain ideas in order to make a start towards becoming a maths teacher would be of great help.

TL;DR- Had an epiphany that I would like to teach Maths. No experience in the area and would like to get started.

Volunteer at a school or apply for a teaching assistant post would help.
Hi guys,

Hey Benny, I've had a similar experience to you. Graduating this semester and totally uninspired by my degree and related potential careers- I will probably graduate with a 2:1, but knowing I could have done better is annoying!

I've basically been contacting schools by email up front and telling them I'm desperate for experience- using a covering letter, CV and following it up with a phone call. Contact schools in your area saying you're interested in teaching and would love some unpaid experience- observing (most important for you), assisting, helping with after school clubs etc (they are normally grateful for this kind of help). You could also contact youth groups like Scouts or Drama groups etc if you are desperate. Make sure you have a DBS first (think it takes 2 weeks) and tell them about it in your covering letter, as well as why you want to teach, references, transferrable skills from uni/employment and you'd appreciate the experience for your PGCE application. You know, the usual stuff.

I contact 3 schools on Monday 22nd and by today I now have 4 weeks of experience in two different schools lined up for April and June :smile:

You should also think about any contacts you can take advantage of e.g. family or friends that work in schools. I contacted my old primary school and luckily one of my teachers, who is now the deputy head, remembered me and said yes straight away!

Hope this helps you.
Reply 3
Hi guys,

Hello,

I was in a smiliar situation. I graduated in 2014 and have been working in a job that i don't particularly enjoy since then I decided i was interested in teaching and arranged a weeks work experience in my old primary school last November. I have now just got a job as a teaching assistant and I hope to apply for a pgce starting in 2017.
Right first things first. The shortage of maths teachers is such that you can get onto the course with a 10m swimming cerificate. All you need is a weeks school experience to check that its for you.

There is somthing called the school experience program run by government that sets up short term placements its easy and painless.
1) You need a minimum of 2 weeks school experience - you can do this voluntary or find a paying job (Cover Supervisor, TA, Mentor...) https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/ - offers a 'School Experience Programme' to help find placements, or you could just email HoD/Schools - be aware that it's currently mocks in schools so you may be ignored.

2) You need a C or above in Maths/Eng at GCSE. Some providers will want Degree's of a certain classification or with a minimum of 50% relevance.

3) You'll need to pass your QTS Numeracy + Literacy tests - courses will offer you a place as a conditional of you passing these. You have 3 attempts. (There are FB support groups to help you)

4) You will need 2 references (one from Uni).

5) Personal statement, UCAS and £19 to submit application.

6) As your degree isn't maths based, you'll need to apply for a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course to show that you're capable of teaching'understanding maths. Contact providers for more information on this or the 'Get Into Teaching' helpline.

7) Research your providers: Do you want to earn MA credits? and go through university? (PGCE route - 9k) Do you just want a QTS (Qualified Teacher Status - usually 6k)?, Do you want to train in a school from September (SCITT route - 9k) or start in Uni, then go into schools later on (PGCE)? Salaried position or fee-based? (Do you want to pay or be paid?)

8) As you're doing Maths you should qualify for a salaried place and with a bursary - again check providers as those spaces fill up fast.
If you intend to start September 2016 - I'd suggest you get a move on. Places have been open since November 2015 and have been filling up fast.

If you do decide to join this year, there's a whole load of us in this group sharing resources etc. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/559570350888011/)
I'm biased *cough cough* but private tutoring is a great start, and some prefer it to classroom teaching. I love tutoring maths, it's fun and fulfilling to see someone improve because of your tutelage. The hours fly by :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest