The Student Room Group

Western Values: Rescuing DOG "refugees" in Turkey but not humans

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cato the Elder
I've seen your comments across this forum. You have a dogmatic hatred of the West due to your Arab heritage and feel that to accept Western culture is "betraying" that heritage (which proves that you can't think for yourself and that you aren't an individual, you instead let family, friends and the "culture" you were born into decide your views) in the mould of other such bumptiously West-hating Orientals such as Edward Said and Sayyid Qutb, you've openly advocated for us to accept hordes of refugees into Europe, delighting in the fact that this will disrupt the continent and lead to the downfall of our civilisation and claiming it is "karma", have claimed that Bush did 9/11, you defend Islam and Muslims at every turn as a knee-jerk reaction to any conversation involving the latter simply because Islam was founded by an Arab, Muhammad, and anything Arab = good in your eyes and can never be criticised, you constantly talk about your puerile, unfounded hatred of the West and your desire to leave and live in Syria (you share that in common with many people of Middle Eastern descent who live here), you whine, strawman and use anecdotes as arguments ("I've met Assad, he wasn't such a bad chap until he killed my grandaddy!":wink: etc etc.

They aren't refugees. They're economic migrants who come from a backward way of life and expect us to bend over backwards to accomodate them :wink:
Original post by Agrippatropes
:laugh: Nauseatingly privileged trustfund bint.

I tend to doubt those who love to remind everyone of their supposed life of paradise and get uppity about it. Reminds me of school when some children would keep telling you these fantastic stories to make themselves feel better.
Original post by Ascend
I tend to doubt those who love to remind everyone of their supposed life of paradise and get uppity about it. Reminds me of school when some children would keep telling you these fantastic stories to make themselves feel better.

Oh no I have seen my fair share of fellow Arabs (sorry, "Caucasians") and Iranians (sorry, "Persians"), who do have it all and love to boast about it (including their "fairer" skin tones). Superficiality is unfortunately a cancer on our culture and the world in general.
Original post by lahorizon
Neither do the Syrian refugees. They are running away from ISIS ffs, they are not ISIS. Keep reading the Daily Mail though. Unfortunately, perhaps some members of ISIS will infiltrate and pretend to be refugees but does that mean you have to deny hundreds and thousands of other people their basic human rights such as safety and shelter. Children are drowning and families are being torn apart trying to escape this conflict.

The reason many do not want to stay in Turkey is because they are also denied basic rights there too. They are ridiculed, marginalised and prevented from using the same services and ordinary turks. There is no hope for them there. Secondly, I do believe that the gulf nations should be helping and but many like Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, and Egypt are so people also need to stop claiming that Arab nations are not.

The basis of all gulf nations' wealth is: greed. Therefore, we cannot be waiting on them to help whilst children still starve/ action has to be taken now. Funny thing is though when US wants something it would normally impose a sanction like it did on Iran or would declare a war like on Iraq. Yet, not the smallest amount of at least financial pressure is being put on Saudi Arabia or the other nations because they are friends after all and USA needs oil. Lives can wait as long as the big corporations and governments are satisfied.

The people in Calais I do have an overwhelming feeling are economic migrants and I wish they stayed in their own countries and helped to build their own nations.

However, but for the genuine refugees in Calais any rational person who is claiming asylum would also go to the best place for themselves and their family. Not for the benefits. Many of these people are VERY hardworking and intelligent. You can be sure they won't be scrounging off benefits. UK offers the English language which is very important for employers, great higher education institutions, many opportunities and a very acceptive and welcoming population. Racism is very low here compared to some parts of France/Italy or Eastern Europe.

You have to understand,
No one puts their children in a boat
Unless the water is safer than the land”- Warsan Shire

Rant over but people need to understand that things are not as black and white as the media likes to make to be. Media is trying to separate the people when this is the most important time to actually be uniting. More 'Us vs. them' mentality leads to more of a rise in extremist groups on both sides. BTW: There are many Christians who are also fleeing Syria from ISIS not just Muslims.

This! Especially the bolded part. It always frustrates me when I see people arguing that the refugees could easily stay in Turkey/Lebanon instead of wanting to come to Europe. If people understood how awful it is for them over there, I don't think they'd say such things. I visited a refugee camp last summer when I was in Lebanon,and I was honestly in tears by the time I left. It's terrible
Original post by queen-bee
Take that up with the prime minister

The Prime Minister is busy making his case for UK to stay in the EU.
Original post by Hydeman
That's disprovable just by counter-example. Remember the picture of the drowned Syrian child on a Greek beach, whose father put him on a boat from Turkey?

I'm mostly for taking refugees, but let's not descend into dishonesty to make the point.

I definitely have not forgotten about him and actually where I first heard of this quote is in an article about the death of Alan. His father put him on a boat along with the rest of his family because they believed that their children and themselves would be safer anywhere by Syria. And if it meant they had to take a boat to get to there then that is a risk they had to take. Many of the people selling boat rides also trick them into believing that it is very very safe and provide them with broken life jackets.
Original post by get schlonged m8
I like going to the zoo but it doesn't mean I'd want to live with the monkeys.

Sums it up quite well actually :lol:

Original post by Agrippatropes
Oh no I have seen my fair share of fellow Arabs (sorry, "Caucasians" ) and Iranians (sorry, "Persians" ) , who do have it all and love to boast about it (including their "fairer" skin tones). Superficiality is unfortunately a cancer on our culture and the world in general.

not all iranians are persians (only 51%, actually), thus there is a distinction
Original post by Foo.mp3

They have our sympathy but you’re drawing a false dichotomy and (hence) the vast majority of them don’t just stop, upon reaching the first non-squalid/safe place, or even upon reaching Europe, instead many continue to migrate Northward. Some have even turned up in Murmansk! :lolwut:

That's not relevant to what I said. I'm talking about people who says things such as "well why don't the refugees just stay in Turkey or Lebanon"
Original post by Foo.mp3
Oh you can count on getting some fulsome Englishness inside you :u:

Secondarily :K:

You and I both. It's an alien city. Yet you bang on about how wonderful London life is :dontknow:

Yup, because I know you’re not really an apologist for Islam, you just sound like one sometimes, when your humanity is a touch overzealous

A little heads up, if it’s within the next few weeks, if you please, as I’m not in a good place RN and due to move again before long (Amen)

It’s not mere sexism/misogyny that motivates the ‘oppression’ of women, dear. There are more laudable elements to related Eastern culture e.g. the preservation of modesty, sanctity of sexuality, and integrity of the family unit

Expect Princess Jasmine will make a very big, and lasting ‘impression’ on me :innocent:

What have you been smoking!? :mad:

Green and pleasant :h:

Pun intended in the typo? (coke capital of Europe and general city of sin) :erm:

Hey! We’re not all monkies :woo:

They have our sympathy but you’re drawing a false dichotomy and (hence) the vast majority of them don’t just stop, upon reaching the first non-squalid/safe place, or even upon reaching Europe, instead many continue to migrate Northward. Some have even turned up in Murmansk! :lolwut:

with seconds? :mmm:

life in London Is pretty cool,but can't wait to move to Tuscany and finally be with you and my family,they're excited to see you!

ah you know me so well , habibi :h:

Inshallah.I would still like for you to take me home btw,even if it's just taking a taxi.

just point me in the right direction :wink: i'm gonna dress as princess jasmine for your birthday this year inshallah and really leave a lasting impression hahah:u:

wallah,i have ever smoked anything in my life..:innocent: i just imagine life outside the UK to be boring

no,i meant life* i don't do drugs :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
shukran habibti :h:

You realise that most people here don't speak Arabic? :holmes:
Original post by Hydeman
You realise that most people here don't speak Arabic? :holmes:

Some :smile:
Original post by hussamhussam
I couldn't believe this http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/golden-retrievers-turkey-1.3463905

When hundreds of thousands of refugees are suffering and dieing no thanks to Western interventions you have people rescuing DOGS all the way in Turkey instead. Where are people's priorities!? Especially those who constantly boast of superior western secular liberalism humanism. Is this humanism?

How has this thread run to 17 pages exactly? 'Rescuing' refugees from Turkey and bringing them to Canada is called people trafficking, and is a type of organised crime. Rescuing ownerless dogs on the other hand is perfectly legal.

/end of thread
Original post by Foo.mp3
Now now, let’s not get greedy! :mmm:

Riiiight. As much as I’d love to become ever so intimately acquainted with the jagged rocks of the Tuscan coast I think I’ll pass, thanks :erm:

Are you indeed :smug:

You were referring to London. London =/= the UK! :mad:

Everyone will understand habib(t)i by the time queen-bee has finished doing her thang! :woo:

seconds only if it's good enough i guess :u:

i shall :wink:

that's so mean,i'm extend a hand and i get a pass :frown:

London is the place to be foo :smile:

amen :smile:
Some :smile:

drowzee isn't one of them; she's too drowsy for Arabic. :mmm:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
They aren't refugees. They're economic migrants who come from a backward way of life and expect us to bend over backwards to accomodate them :wink:

Yes, you're right about that.
Original post by Foo.mp3
The first helping can last hours if I put my mind to it, so careful what you wish for honey! :wink:

Spoiler

It's not mean. I cautioned you about discussing your 'assets' with other males but you ignored me. I value my life, and our connection, so now we both have to pay the price of your indiscretion/their greed and err on the side of caution

If you're a certain type, sure

Hours are better than minutes :mmm:

What would my credentials be? :innocent:
You mean my humanist creditentials ?

Come on,it's not like that and I've never discussed my assets btw but I value your decision

I think London is for everyone
Original post by DiddyDec
A dog isn't going to be a potential terrorist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1456789167985.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Copperknickers
How has this thread run to 17 pages exactly? 'Rescuing' refugees from Turkey and bringing them to Canada is called people trafficking, and is a type of organised crime. Rescuing ownerless dogs on the other hand is perfectly legal.

/end of thread

Have to agree this thread has taken some rather odd turns
Original post by DiddyDec
A dog isn't going to be a potential terrorist.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I love this comment

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Foo.mp3
Umm :innocent:

Erm :cookie:

Ok, we'll go over what you have told them in detail at the appropriate juncture. Honestly, you have to be so careful when it comes to men who are used to getting their way and relatively corrupt legislative jurisdictions

Then you're misguided honey, the inequality vs. cost of living in London is really bad for a significant portion of the population :sad:

Don't worry I already know :sexface:

Blood is thicker than water hun. The only men I would ever be frightened of when it comes to assets are men I don't know much about or who I know would try to kill me because greed for money/selfishness.

I agree London is a very expensive city but I was talking more culture/multiculralism. London caters for all cultures and that what I love about it

Quick Reply