Turn on thread page Beta

Western Values: Rescuing DOG "refugees" in Turkey but not humans watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    I know what you mean, but technically this is of course incorrect and it's important to get this right. Intolerance, fear/hatred, and arbitrary belief in blanket superiority, are somewhat interrelated, if certainly not synonymous, themes :beard:
    Hmm I don't buy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    True.

But I can always look at the human rights record in Arab countries and they're pretty much always lowest in the world
    Like many other countries around the world

(Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Many of them are from Africa and Asia amigo. Sure, there may be a degree of cultural intolerance and xenophobia involved in the disquiet but that's a different proposition
    A lot of the N. Africans identify as Arabs actually. :beard:

(Original post by hussamhussam)
    hundreds of thousands of refugees are suffering and dieing no thanks to Western interventions
    A lot of good posts on this thread. It's a shame that the OP isn't one of them.

(Original post by queen-bee)
    That doesn't negate or mitigate the point made by MrsSheldonCooper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    That doesn't negate or mitigate the point made by MrsSheldonCooper.
    Knew you would turn up and start white knighting :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    Yes but the Arab culture has the reputation of the one as being the more sexist and misogynistic one.

Knew you would turn up
    I barely talk to you these days... :erm:

and start white knighting :mmm:
    What does that mean? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes but the Arab culture has the reputation of the one as being the more sexist and misogynistic one.
    My mother has never suffered misogyny nor any of her female relatives. But it's like that with other countries,it's not just an Arab thing tho is it? So before you comment on other people's culture,ask yourself,is your own culture perfect

ReputationRep:
    I barely talk to you these days... :erm:

What does that mean? :holmes:
    Missing me already by the sounds of it

You know what it mean. Yallah

ReputationRep:
    My mother has never suffered misogyny nor any of her female relatives. But it's like that with other countries,it's not just an Arab thing tho is it? So before you comment on other people's culture,ask yourself,is your own culture perfect
    Lmao I never said my culture was a perfect one.

Wasn't your mother born and raised in Germany though? How often did she go back to Syria?

ReputationRep:
    What's white at the top and brown/black at the bottom?

...SOCIETY

--

Powerful white people in charge care more about their domesticated animals than people of colour. Please don't reply to me.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao I never said my culture was a perfect one.

Wasn't your mother born and raised in Germany though? How often did she go back to Syria?
    So what if she was born in Germany? Arabs don't leave their culture at home,I'm sure some still practice it wherever thy live. So by your logic,my mum would've been subject to oppression by her male relatives.

Missing me already by the sounds of it
    Nope.

You know what it mean. Yallah
    I had to look it up. :sigh: And no, I wasn't white knighting there -- I just wanted to respond to what you'd said and implied about human rights.

ReputationRep:
    So what if she was born in Germany? Arabs don't leave their culture at home,I'm sure some still practice it wherever thy live. So by your logic,my mum would've been subject to oppression by her male relatives.
    Your mum grew up in a Western society. I'm talking about girls who were born and raised in the Middle East.

Look it up yourself,women in the Middle East are discouraged from going out at night because of the fear of being raped and assaulted. That's got to do with culture obviously.
    In Arab cultures,most of the time, women are advised to cover up.

You can't deny though, Arab countries are a terrible place if you're a woman.

ReputationRep:
    Your mum grew up in a Western society. I'm talking about girls who were born and raised in the Middle East.

Look it up yourself,women in the Middle East are discouraged from going out at night because of the fear of being raped and assaulted. That's got to do with culture obviously.
    In Arab cultures,most of the time, women are advised to cover up.
    Maybe in the villages but women dress however they want in cities and don't fear getting raped. Stop believing everything you read online and actually go and explore the world yourself

You can't deny though, Arab countries are a terrible place if you're a woman.
    It depends where in Arabia you mean. This is very true in Saudi Arabia, where I grew up, but I'm not sure this is as true in Lebanon, although I'll admit that's something of an exception to the rule.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe in the villages but women dress however they want in cities and don't fear getting raped. Stop believing everything you read online and actually go and explore the world yourself
    Why on earth are you ignoring the fact that Arab countries have terrible human rights records though? You seem overly patriotic about Syria and Arabs.

It depends where in Arabia you mean. This is very true in Saudi Arabia, where I grew up, but I'm not sure this is as true in Lebanon, although I'll admit that's something of an exception to the rule in Arabia.
    I know in Lebanon and Jordan it isn't that bad though. I'm talking about others.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth are you ignoring the fact that Arab countries have terrible human rights records though?

I know in Lebanon and Jordan it isn't that bad though. I'm talking about others.
    I haven't. The issue I have is you specifically attributing to just 'Arab culture' not that you seem to know much tbh

ReputationRep:
    Aren't human refugees rescued daily in the Aegean?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.