Spoiler:
    Show
    Amman
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Lool you had to scroll way down for that Beirut picture :lol:

(Original post by queen-bee)
    I need to awaken y'all
    Again, the opposite is more likely to be true. I've seen you repeatedly try to overstate the freedoms enjoyed by women in the Arab world on this thread, and you'd do well to take heed of Foo's replies.

The point being: no rational person is saying that somewhere like pre-civil war Syria was comparable to Saudi Arabia on women's rights, but you also need to stop exaggerating and explaining away any criticism of this as 'media' brainwashing.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that many of the people who are rescuing dogs from Turkey oppose the mass asylum movement. People who oppose the asylum seekers being allowed to come to Europe probably also think dog asylum is silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Again, the opposite is more likely to be true. I've seen you repeatedly try to overstate the freedoms enjoyed by women in the Arab world on this thread, and you'd do well to take heed of Foo's replies.

The point being: no rational person is saying that somewhere like pre-civil war Syria was comparable to Saudi Arabia on women's rights, but you also need to stop exaggerating and explaining away any criticism of this as 'media' brainwashing.
    Who are you threatening?

I'm not exaggerating. Why does it hurt you so much knowing women do enjoy freedom to dress how they want in Lebanon or Amman or Damascus before this civil war

You can't awaken somebody who is part of Arab culture. You're someone looking from the outside,you only get an opinion and your opinions aren't facts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    I mention this in every thread, but why should Turkey have to bear 2.6 million refugees when it's US, French, British, etc. planes dropping bombs over Syria?
    Because they're not leaving because of the Western bombs...

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    women are allowed to dress however they want
    Sorry but that's horseshit, there are codes of modesty/public decency

(Original post by childofthesun)
    Lool you had to scroll way down for that Beirut picture :lol:
    Unfortunately there isn't a wealth of decent media featuring more than 1 or 2 women in public in these places available, so aye, scrolling required

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)

Unfortunately there isn't a wealth of decent media featuring more than 1 or 2 women in public in these places available, so aye, scrolling required
    Sure there are but in said countries/country women wear whatever they want to some degree and that involves not wearing a headscarf and covering up completely or walking around with a male chaperone. That's it,you're going to Beirut with me

Who are you threatening?
    Nobody. Where did you get 'threatening' from?

Why does it hurt you so much knowing women do enjoy freedom to dress how they want in Lebanon or Amman or Damascus before this civil war
    It doesn't hurt me; I'd like nothing more than for that to be the case. The difference between us here is that only one of seems interested in seeing the distinction between what we would like to be the case and the reality.

You can't awaken somebody who is part of Arab culture. You're someone looking from the outside,you only get an opinion and your opinions aren't facts
    Again, with all due respect, your claim to being part of 'Arab culture' is no stronger than my own, given that I grew up there, so let's stop the condescending, 'my opinion is indisputable fact because my grandparents were Syrian' tone of voice. You're as 'outside' as anyone else living in London with an ancestral claim to the region.

women wear whatever they want to some degree
    This is a contradiction in terms. If it's 'to some degree', then it's not 'whatever they want.'

ReputationRep:
    This is a contradiction in terms. If it's 'to some degree', then it's not 'whatever they want.'
    They can mostly wear whatever they like. That's doesn't mean walking around naked. Just like girls here choose to wear mini skirts and short dresses and I'm 50% Syrian. Top quality babe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)

Funny thing that. I also googled 'women in Beirut' and scrolled past numerous pictures of women in less than moderate clothing before coming to the one you picked out.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...on-Beirut.html

(Original post by Polysexual Nymph)
    Because they're not leaving because of the Western bombs...

:facepalm:
    The Western and Russian intervention(s) have only contributed to more devastation. Even irrespective of this, if Britain claims it will struggle to support and extra 200 refugees or whatever it is, how do you expect Turkey to support one thousand times that? Are these people not entitled a life that constitutes more than just being alive?... :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    The Western and Russian intervention(s) have only contributed to more devastation. Even irrespective of this, if Britain claims it will struggle to support and extra 200 refugees or whatever it is, how do you expect Turkey to support one thousand times that? Are these people not entitled a life that constitutes more than just being alive?... :sigh:
    they are not leaving because of western bombs so pull the other one. the Turks are Muslims so they can ****ing look after them

I'm 50% Syrian.
    I'm not sure it's possible to claim this, given that the parent through whom you claim to be 50 percent Syrian was born and raised in Europe. If this was the logic applied by the U.S. Constitution, Bernie Sanders would be classified as fully Polish and therefore ineligible to be President of the United States.

(Original post by EccentricDiamond)
    the Turks are Muslims so they can ****ing look after them
    I see that Europe hasn't changed much in a thousand years. Even the Jews, who were persecuted in England, were forced to flee to the safe-haven of the Ottoman Empire. When will racist Europe ever change? :laugh:

Secondly, despite the religious similarities, the Turkish and Syrian people aren't so similar as you might think. For example, their languages are completely unintelligible with one another. I can assure you that the majority of Syrians have a greater grasp of the English language than Turkish.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure it's possible to claim this, given that the parent through whom you claim to be 50 percent Syrian was born and raised in Europe. If this was the logic applied by the U.S. Constitution, Bernie Sanders would be classified as fully Polish and therefore ineligible to be President of the United States.
    He's fully Polish by ethnicity, and American by nationality? Not exactly complicated

ReputationRep:
    The Western and Russian intervention(s) have only contributed to more devastation.
    Complete *******s. I won't comment on the Russian intervention, as this is irrelevant to your initial claim, but the Western intervention has done no such thing, and if you had a bone of honesty in your body you would admit this.

Are these people not entitled a life that constitutes more than just being alive?... :sigh:
    No one is entitled to anything in life. Sad, but true.

Saying that, I would support the UK taking more refugees - as long as they were (i) directly affected by the conflict in Syria; and (ii) educated/otherwise skilled; and (iii) married with children or (iv) children (in this case (ii) does not apply - as they would have inherent potential for human capital).

There are tens of thousands of such people, and Britain could easily absorb such numbers of refugees that would have the best chance of positively contributing to British society and providing them an opportunity to rebuild their lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cato the Elder)
    You aren't a Christian, you're a pan-Arab fascist who is obsessed with defending Islam.
    Reported

Feel free to join me in church every Sunday.

ReputationRep:
    in said countries/country women .. wearing a headscarf and covering up completely or walking around with a male chaperone
    This was never my contention:mute:

That's it,you're going to Beirut with me
    Am I ****! :laugh:

(Original post by childofthesun)
    Funny thing that. I also googled 'women in Beirut' and scrolled past numerous pictures of women in less than moderate clothing before coming to the one you picked out
    Ok, so I just googled what you said and these are the images that feature in the first 3 rows that are pretty clearly of women in public:

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on how one sees themselves I guess

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.