Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Western Values: Rescuing DOG "refugees" in Turkey but not humans watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cato the Elder)
    I've seen your comments across this forum. You have a dogmatic hatred of the West due to your Arab heritage and feel that to accept Western culture is "betraying" that heritage (which proves that you can't think for yourself and that you aren't an individual, you instead let family, friends and the "culture" you were born into decide your views) in the mould of other such bumptiously West-hating Orientals such as Edward Said and Sayyid Qutb, you've openly advocated for us to accept hordes of refugees into Europe, delighting in the fact that this will disrupt the continent and lead to the downfall of our civilisation and claiming it is "karma", have claimed that Bush did 9/11, you defend Islam and Muslims at every turn as a knee-jerk reaction to any conversation involving the latter simply because Islam was founded by an Arab, Muhammad, and anything Arab = good in your eyes and can never be criticised, you constantly talk about your puerile, unfounded hatred of the West and your desire to leave and live in Syria (you share that in common with many people of Middle Eastern descent who live here), you whine, strawman and use anecdotes as arguments ("I've met Assad, he wasn't such a bad chap until he killed my grandaddy!") etc etc.
    I have never said arabs are perfect nor have I ever said I hate the west. I said we should accept women and children who need our help,like many other people. You seem to have a deep rooted hatred towards Arabs. My family have never dictated my behaviour or way of thinking,not that you know me. You appear to be a little butt hurt right wing kid. I also defend ethnic minorities who face racism. I'm a charitable person and see myself as a humanist. You should know Arabia is also home to Christianity and Judaism and other minority religions. Never have I spoken about the prophet Mohamed as I don't know much about him. I defend innocent Muslims who are abused by people like you on a daily basis on the basis of skin colour or religion. I can't understand half the nonsensical made up BS you've just written. When have I said 9/11 was karma? And a lot of people actually believe it was an inside job so what is your point? Wow,the lengths these kids will go to to pull anything out their ass. By your logic that would mean,I also would've hated my father because he was a white Italian man and not an Arab? Kids these days :rolleyes: and why the **** are you bringing my dead family members into this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Ethnicity is somewhat dependent on cultural affiliation, though (a quick Google definition: the fact or state of belonging to a social group that has a common national or cultural tradition.) It's distinct from race in that respect (e.g. an assimilated South Asian person in London is Asian in a genetic sense, but if he participates only in a local culture and not the culture of his ancestors, then he is ethnically British, weird though that sounds).

Hmm I don't agree. I guess there is no single accepted definition of ethnicity, but this is the first definition that google brought up; ethnic group or ethnicity is a category of people who identify with each other based on common ancestral, social, cultural,or national experiences. Unlike most other social groups, ethnicity is primarily an inherited status. Thatshow I've always viewed ethnicity. In the example you gave, I'd say he's still ethnically SA, but culturally British.It's all very confusing. Mind you I'm ethnically( ) Lebanese, was born in a country other than Lebanon, and that country is different to the one I was raised in, and I hold 4 different passports. It's a mess :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cato the Elder)
    That's right, the Israelis of all people, who tried to help the Lebanese...it's alright for Syria to invade and occupy Lebanon because they're Arabs.

The joys of racism.
    Yeah, Israel was definitely trying to help us when they bombed my home village,killing my relatives and friends.

Ofc, any criticism of Israel is antisemitic :rolleyes:

(Original post by childofthesun)
    I hold 4 different passports. It's a mess :lol:
    :lolwut:

Most countries have problems with letting their citizens hold the citizenship of even one other country. How have you managed to end up with four countries that are okay with this arrangement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sciatic)
    What about Jordan or Oman?
    (Original post by chemting)
    Jordan? Although they do kiss up to Saudi a bit... but overall they are fairly good
    Jordan is a pretty stable and tolerant country, but I don't really see the appeal of it as a place I'd visit. Same goes for Oman. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Israel was definitely trying to help us when they bombed my home village,killing my relatives and friends.

The kid seems to have a to hate anything to do with Arabs or the Middle East with passion. I think they're usually raised up hating from a young age

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

Most countries have problems with letting their citizens hold the citizenship of even one other country. How have you managed to end up with four countries that are okay with this arrangement?
    Idk
    Lebanon, the US, France and Cote d'ivoire all allow dual/multiple citizenship lol

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how people seek nuance when it isn't there but then expect the whole of the western side of the planet to have moral consistency. If I pointed out the hypocrisies of eastern dictatorships we would be here all day. When Middle Eastern countries start taking in the refugees on their dorrstop I will listen to your lecture about moral inconsistencies.

Europe has many failings but it has opened the borders to millions. How many have Kuwait let in? The UAE? Qatar? These are the so-called moderate states by the way. I am sure many of their population would like to take in a percentage of genuine refugees but it is the liberal democracies that are actually doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Please see bolded text. Those were omitted as they were likely taken on private/exclusive property e.g. shopping arcade/restaurant :yy:
    They still count as public places :yy:

ReputationRep:

he is saying your racism is derived from the inconsistency in how you view syria's occupation of lebanon and israel's occupation - implying that it is because one is arab and the other is jewish that you view them differently.

but as this inconsistency can be explained by israel being directly responsible for the deaths of your family members (and syria not) then his point is evidently moot.

This.

I used to know a Lebanese kid when I was in Saudi Arabia and he stopped coming to school for quite a long time after visiting Lebanon and, when he came back, his father had to carry him on his shoulders for months because he couldn't walk. He'd told us that his mother had been killed by a direct hit from a rocket, which seemed pretty odd to me.

I didn't particularly like him and I was very sheltered from all the politics then, so I didn't make too much of this at the time but it was only later when I came back to the UK and started to get educated about these things that I made the link with the 2006 war between Israel and Lebanon and realised that it roughly coincided with his absence from school. It did make me appreciate, after a period of being very pro-Israel, that there are legitimate personal reasons why some people hate Israel, quite apart from anti-Semitism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Polysexual Nymph)
    he is saying your racism is derived from the inconsistency in how you view syria's occupation of lebanon and israel's occupation.

but as this inconsistency can be explained by israel being directly responsible for the deaths of your family members then his point is evidently moot.
    I told Hydeman that while I dislike the Syrian government, I have nothing against Syrian people.Likewise, I do not hate Israeli citizens or Jews, but rather the government.

ReputationRep:
    I told Hydeman that while I dislike the Syrian government, I have nothing against Syrian people.Likewise, I do not hate Israeli citizens or Jews, but rather the government.
    not hydeman, R, catotheelder. he was the one that accused you of racism.

hydeman is a g allow him.

Idk
    Lebanon, the US, France and Cote d'ivoire all allow dual/multiple citizenship lol
    Fair enough. :beard: Apparently all the countries whose citizenship laws I'm acquainted with either don't or have huge restrictions on the holding of dual citizenships.

ReputationRep:

I know :lol:
    He accused me of racism because of what I replied to Hydeman

ReputationRep:
    I know :lol:
    He accused me of racism because of what I replied to Hydeman
    I understand. My apologies for the confusion.

Cato is inclined to view things in a certain way (/through a certain lens), and is rather arrogant in his beliefs, but he's not an idiot - I'm sure he has come to realise that your posts are not indicative of racism and are the perfectly reasonable consequence of your experiences.

So much slang that I don't understand. O.O

ReputationRep:
    So much slang that I don't understand. O.O
    'R' isn't (/wasn't) slang, dear child.

And not understanding 'g' renders my description of you as a g less believable. Good job, H.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. :beard: Apparently all the countries whose citizenship laws I'm acquainted with either don't or have huge restrictions on the holding of dual citizenships.
    Shame. It comes in handy when booking holidays, I can get into lots of countries without a visa :lol:

'R' isn't (/wasn't) slang, dear child.

And not understanding 'g' renders my description of you as a g less believable. Good job, H.
    Is it meant to be 'gangsta?' :holmes: I remember somebody on my VMs once using it like that, I think.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.