Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trouble with my qualifications, really need help, very confused Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am in year 12, at the start of the year I was doing history, philosophy, psychology and biology.

I had major complications with biology so I dropped that. I now only have 3 AS-levels and I managed to take up a BTEC. The thing is, I am planning on dropping history in year 13. This is the part that gets me confused.

I will be left with a philosophy, history and psychology AS level and a BTEC at the end of year 12. In year 13, I will only have philosophy and psychology A2 and a BTEC, I don't know if that's accepted in universities, I am wanting to go to a good one as well.

I am wanting to be a clinical/child psychologist in the future and I'm wanting to go to a GOOD university with psychology; however I generally don't know whether I will be accepted with my qualifications. I've seen that most universities' requirements are AAA-AAB, I don't know whether dropping history in year 13 will affect that.

My questions would be:

•How does that make my qualifications look like at the end of YR. 13? (I had 3 AS levels and a BTEC in year 12 but dropped one of the subjects in year 13)

•Will universities accept me with 2 A2 and a BTEC? (Since I'm not sure whether universities would even accept my history AS from year 12)

•I mostly focus on the best universities for psychology, can I get a recommendation?

•Is taking up new subjects at the start of year 13 even a thing? If so, are they only BTECS or AS levels/A2 levels? Will it be okay if I do them in one year ( I really do want to stay back for another year in sixth form)

I will be extremely grateful if this thread got any helpful responses, I do apologise for being so clueless about sixth form and university applications.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Camillaericka)
    I am in year 12, at the start of the year I was doing history, philosophy, psychology and biology.

I had major complications with biology so I dropped that. I now only have 3 AS-levels and I managed to take up a BTEC. The thing is, I am planning on dropping history in year 13. This is the part that gets me confused.

I will be left with a philosophy, history and psychology AS level and a BTEC at the end of year 12. In year 13, I will only have philosophy and psychology A2 and a BTEC, I don't know if that's accepted in universities, I am wanting to go to a good one as well.

I am wanting to be a clinical/child psychologist in the future and I'm wanting to go to a GOOD university with psychology; however I generally don't know whether I will be accepted with my qualifications. I've seen that most universities' requirements are AAA-AAB, I don't know whether dropping history in year 13 will affect that.

My questions would be:

•How does that make my qualifications look like at the end of YR. 13? (I had 3 AS levels and a BTEC in year 12 but dropped one of the subjects in year 13)

•Will universities accept me with 2 A2 and a BTEC? (Since I'm not sure whether universities would even accept my history AS from year 12)

•I mostly focus on the best universities for psychology, can I get a recommendation?

•Is taking up new subjects at the start of year 13 even a thing? If so, are they only BTECS or AS levels/A2 levels? Will it be okay if I do them in one year ( I really do want to stay back for another year in sixth form)

I will be extremely grateful if this thread got any helpful responses, I do apologise for being so clueless about sixth form and university applications.

What subject is the BTEC? What do you think your predicted grades will be in your 2 full A-levels and the BTEC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    What subject is the BTEC? What do you think your predicted grades will be in your 2 full A-levels and the BTEC?
    It is a science BTEC and I think my predicted grades are A/B for my a levels and Distinction for BTEC
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    It is a science BTEC and I think my predicted grades are A/B for my a levels and Distinction for BTEC
    Well the "good" unis will probably be asking for AAA or AAB at A-level or equivalent.

Which exact BTEC and level are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Well the "good" unis will probably be asking for AAA or AAB at A-level or equivalent.

Which exact BTEC and level are you doing?
    BTEC level 3 extended diploma

ReputationRep:
    BTEC level 3 extended diploma
    Please see attached from Exeter
    Typical offerAAA-AAB; IB: 36-34Required subjectsGCE AL science grade B; IB science HL5; GCSE Maths grade B; GCSE English Language grade B.
    GCE AL/AS science includes: Biology/Human Biology*; Chemistry; Computing; Design and Technology; Electronics; Environmental Studies; Geography; Geology; Maths/Pure Maths/Further Maths*; Physical Education; Physics; Psychology; Science (applied); Statistics.
    *If more than one of these is taken they would only count as one 'science' but could count as two A-levels towards our general requirements.
    Applicants studying one of the following BTEC Extended Diplomas will be considered without GCE AL requirement(s): Sport and Exercise Science, Sport Science, Applied Science, Pharmaceutical Science. Applicants offering one of the above BTEC Extended Diplomas in lieu of the GCE A’ Level Science will also be required to have a grade C in GCSE English Languages, Mathematics and Science.
    Additional selection criteriaWe are looking for well-qualified students with a genuine interest in and enthusiasm for the subject.
    We receive a large number of applications from well-qualified applicants and may not be able to make offers to all those applicants who have achieved or are predicted to achieve grades in line with the typical offer shown above.
    In addition to the specific requirements listed above, we look for excellent A level* results/predictions and we may also take into account results up to and including GCSEs* and AS Levels* as part of our holistic assessment of an application.
    *Equivalent qualifications will be considered. For more information about our equivalencies for specific qualifications please contact our Admissions Office.

ReputationRep:
    For psychology, most "good" universities will be looking for a minimum of 2 science A-levels (they will count Psychology A-level as one)- for some unis, your Science BTEC may count towards this requirement, but for some it won't. Philosophy, History and Psychology A-levels wouldn't be accepted by most good universities.

Before making any decisions about what to drop, I would suggest contacting some of the universities you're interested in to check which qualifications they would accept and also which qualifications they would consider stronger. Psychology is a very popular subject, so applications are quite competitive.

If you're not really enjoying AS Biology, I wonder how much you will actually enjoy a Psychology Degree. Most undergraduate degrees focus a lot psychology as a science, so a lot of biology can be involved. A lot of people do psychology degrees because they want to go into clinical psychology, but this will usually be a only a really small element of what you study.

ReputationRep:

My questions would be:

You should be fine to get in to most universities, just make sure you get predicted good grades and write a good PS

A lot of universities do not list their requirements for the BTEC Subsidiary Diploma because it isnt the most commonly taken BTEC, as a general rule if a university accepts the BTEC Extended Diploma (which they usually list on their entry requirments page) then they will most likely accept a mix of BTECs and A levels

The uni that I go to (Royal Holloway) who were 14th last year and 21st this year for Psychology, and ranked 19th overall in the UK, accept with D*AB grades for Psychology, might be worth looking at

Hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.