Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mechanics question help: elastic collision of particles in 2D watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I think I've got an answer for it.

I was told that 2 particles collided.

Particle A:
    mass = 10kg
    initial velocity = 500 m/s
    final(after collision) velocity = 300m/s
    Angle of 35degrees from original path after collision

Particle B
    mass = 8kg
    no initial velocity is given, I assume it is 0.
    we need to workout the final velocity.

However, as this is in 2 dimensions should my answer be 2 values? A value for the velocity of particle B in the Y direction and in the X direction?

Also, to check I am on the right lines, I worked out the 2 velocities for B using the momentum equation, ie P=mv???
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    Ok so I think I've got an answer for it.

I was told that 2 particles collided.

Particle A:
    mass = 10kg
    initial velocity = 500 m/s
    final(after collision) velocity = 300m/s
    Angle of 35degrees from original path after collision

Particle B
    mass = 8kg
    no initial velocity is given, I assume it is 0.
    we need to workout the final velocity.

However, as this is in 2 dimensions should my answer be 2 values? A value for the velocity of particle B in the Y direction and in the X direction?

Also, to check I am on the right lines, I worked out the 2 velocities for B using the momentum equation, ie P=mv???
    I would resolve everything into an x- and y-direction and then combine them to get a vector for your final answer, e.g. a final velocity of V m/s at theta degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I would resolve everything into an x- and y-direction and then combine them to get a vector for your final answer, e.g. a final velocity of V m/s at theta degrees.
    OK, so just a quick question.

A video I watched on it stated that the angle B (beta) would be larger than the angle \alpha because particle B is displaced more than particle A in the Y (-ve Y for that matter) direction. However the angle I calculated for B is considerable smaller than the angle of particle A after the collision.

Also, in the text book I am using the angle B is smaller and under similar circumstances, A is heavier than B, B is at rest initially etc.

And my P_{iy} isn't equal to P_{Fy}
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    OK, so just a quick question.

A video I watched on it stated that the angle B (beta) would be larger than the angle \alpha because particle B is displaced more than particle A in the Y (-ve Y for that matter) direction. However the angle I calculated for B is considerable smaller than the angle of particle A after the collision.

Also, in the text book I am using the angle B is smaller and under similar circumstances, A is heavier than B, B is at rest initially etc.

And my P_{iy} isn't equal to P_{Fy}
    It's been almost ten years since I have done collision type stuff so I'm not really sure.

Have you drawn a diagram?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    It's been almost ten years since I have done collision type stuff so I'm not really sure.

Have you drawn a diagram?
    Yeah. I can upload pics later.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.