Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Made friends with wrong people at university watch

ReputationRep:
    I may have made friends with all the wrong people at university and I'm not sure if I should still be friends with them.

I'm a guy who sits in front of their computer all day writing source code whereas they enjoy going out shopping and splashing their money in clubs. The only reason I'm friends with them is because of the pressure I came under to make friends during first term.

We're now looking for a house next year, if I pull out I'll have no one to stay with but I'm really not sure if I should be friends with this group. They know I'm a hardcore programmer but they also think I'm a massive "baller" (someone who spends excessively at clubs and parties) which I'm really not/don't want to become

Anyone else finding themselves in a similar situation of being in the wrong circle or what would you do if you were in the same situation?

ReputationRep:
    That must be a very difficult situation to be in, why don't you talk to them and tell them how you feel? tell them that you don't want to get into the cycle of clubbing etc and would rather focus on what you think is most important...Do you have any other people on your course who are similar to you who you could catch up with and maybe propose to flat share with? staying with people who you aren't sure of your comfort around them won't in the long term make you happy.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should slowly distance yourself away from them, there is no point staying friends with people who you are unhappy around and can't be yourself with just for the sake of "having friends". Its not too late to make the right sort of friends and hence find a housemate. Also pretending to be someone else your not is never a good idea, sooner or later they will find out who you really are and then what will you do? Go out and try to find new friends who you have more in common with or at least are semi decent!

ReputationRep:
    you don't need them. you have tsr. we are always here for you pal

ReputationRep:
    Just leave them to be honest, go your own seperate way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lllllllllll)
    I may have made friends with all the wrong people at university and I'm not sure if I should still be friends with them.

I'm a guy who sits in front of their computer all day writing source code whereas they enjoy going out shopping and splashing their money in clubs. The only reason I'm friends with them is because of the pressure I came under to make friends during first term.

We're now looking for a house next year, if I pull out I'll have no one to stay with but I'm really not sure if I should be friends with this group. They know I'm a hardcore programmer but they also think I'm a massive "baller" (someone who spends excessively at clubs and parties) which I'm really not/don't want to become

Anyone else finding themselves in a similar situation of being in the wrong circle or what would you do if you were in the same situation?
    Assume you're doing CS? Why not just make friends with people on your course?

Or does your uni have any computing related societies you can join?

I also made friends with the wrong type of people at university. At first I thought they were nice people, but they make my anxiety really bad and although we had all agreed to live together next year - I'm going to have to pull out. If you're having doubts then I suggest you move away from them while you can, otherwise you may regret it when it's too late.

Can't you stay in halls next year, or possibly find a studio flat where you can live by yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Trust me when I say you do not want to live with people who have a completely different lifestyle and take on life as you if it may get in the way of your daily life.

For example from your post it seems like you're someone who works hard and a lot, and as such I assume you don't want to be living in a loud house with constant partying? And from the sounds of it your friends seem to be ones who want to party all the time.

I cannot stress enough how horrible it is living with party people when all you want is a bit of piece and quiet to get on with some work and a decent nights sleep.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.