Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I suffer from depression and I take medication (only just started a few weeks ago) and have therapy but I still feel like **** all the time. My attendance is absolutely terrible and I always leave things to the last minute and then get stressed when I can't complete them. And when I do try to sit down and study, my concentration is all over the place and I have a hard time completing anything fully. The thing I am most mad about is the fact that I cant even get up out of my bed and go to school like everyone else. I have literally been in ONCE this week and I have constantly felt so heavy and spent about 80% of my time in bed. I feel so useless that I can't just get up and go to school and start studying and catching up. I know what will happen if I don't and it makes me feel so terrible. I really want to snap out of this and just do the work but it feels so impossible. I am so ashamed that I can't get my **** together and do what I need to do to succeed. I don't know how to put this feeling (heavy sadness and tiredness) to one side and get on with the work. Cause if I dont do it soon, I'm going to fail and have a repeat of last year. My school has been very understanding, giving me a learning mentor, accepting that my attendance isn't up to scratch, extending my deadlines and offering extra help. But even after all that, I am still useless and still can't find motivation. I am so ashamed and I don't know what to do :sad:

ReputationRep:
    First of all, you should never feel ashamed about mh issues many, many people go through this and none of it is your fault. I'm so sorry you're going through this right now but it is a good sign that you are getting the right help which will help you get past it, while it seems scary and upsetting, what you are going through right now is temporary and you need to be kind to yourself and not feel like you are doing something wrong because you aren't. While I understand that you're stressed about school work, your biggest priority is your mental health so try not to worry yourself so much. I would recommend that you just try to think about what your future self will thank you for if you do the work, think about how accomplished you will feel after competing it and making your teachers happy. Also, if you don't feel the medication or treatment you are using right now is helping, maybe speak to your gp about alternatives? I'm so sorry you're having to go through this but I can completely, sympathise as I was in such a similar position a while ago now and yet now, I'm in Uni, getting good grades on work and getting past my depression and anxiety so please keep in mind that this is not permanent and is just an obstacle to overcome, you are deserving of a long, fulfilling life and a big part of that is knowing that you have the right to be happy.

ReputationRep:
    Xxx

ReputationRep:
    You need to be helped out of bed. If you can't do it yourself, others should be teaching you how to.

ReputationRep:
    First cut down things you can't deal with (so maybe drop a subject or whatever). Next set a routine, you get up, eat and go to bed a certain time everyday so even if you don't go to school you follow the same routine. Sorting out sleep patterns really helps. Try to have some self discipline (I know it feels like ****) and if you feel bad still at least get out of bed, have a shower and get dressed even if it's just to stare at a wall all day do it because sometimes it will help. Music really helps for me personally. Have music as your alarm in the morning and during daily activities like cleaning and showering etc. And keep it up beat (if you were happy as a child put on some throwback music that's what I do )

I know it sounds counter productive but stop worrying about deadlines and focus on yourself. The grades will follow. Also use a planner and whenever you right something down complete it, literally if I get homework in morning I do it that lunch then it's not piling up and you feel on top of it.

Motivation is completely within yourself. Ask yourself why you want to do well, is it for a uni course, a career, to prove someone wrong, just to be a strong person. Find some motivation and hold onto it. Even if that motivation is 'If I do the homework now at school I can go home and go to bed' < literally me

Posted from TSR Mobile

sigh

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.