Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am wanting to apply for med at uni next year but unfortunately am too old for the free Medicine summer camps. So instead, I have applied for a few UCL taster days which I felt would provide me with a little insight (not 1/4 as good as the summer camps but I cant afford 3 grand for the paid ones for people my age!!).

However, the only taster days available are:
    - population health
    - pharmocology

both of which obviously aren't medicine but relate to medicine in someways. I have places on both courses, do you think they are worth attending? or are just useless because they arent medicine anyway and are only taster days?

ReputationRep:
    Both of those topics are part of a medical degree, so they are very much related to medicine. They're both worth going to in that they are both things you can talk about in your PS and at interview.

That said, I don't think taster days are really worth going to if you are determined you want to do medicine. They're unlikely to change your mind, and I think work experience is more valuable to get an idea of what the job is about. But if you have other relevant work experience and they're free... why not go? You have literally nothing to lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 32908)
    I am wanting to apply for med at uni next year but unfortunately am too old for the free Medicine summer camps. So instead, I have applied for a few UCL taster days which I felt would provide me with a little insight (not 1/4 as good as the summer camps but I cant afford 3 grand for the paid ones for people my age!!).

However, the only taster days available are:
    - population health
    - pharmocology

both of which obviously aren't medicine but relate to medicine in someways. I have places on both courses, do you think they are worth attending? or are just useless because they arent medicine anyway and are only taster days?
    Population health is definitely worth attending, I was going to attend it when I was in year 12 but wasn't able to but I heard it was really good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.