Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    Could you not punch a wall or something, have you tried alternate ways of transfering your emotional pain into physical pain other than cutting yourself?
    this is one of those topics i really don't understand. one of my best mates fill me with fear everytime i see her arms. she is depressed and has suffered from anorexia/bulimia (she changes between the 2) and the she started cuttign her stomach, and then the back of her arms and now her actual wrists. fills me with fear that her hand could slip so easily. she's seeing counsellers and doctors, is on anti-depresants and has so many friends who care about her and a family who loves her... but she only seems to get worse. i don't know whether the people who do these things realise how much it hurts those who love them.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I know this is out of order, and not funny at all, and Im a **** etc. But when you said I just picked up my compass and jabbed it into my arm, I giggled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    i don't know whether the people who do these things realise how much it hurts those who love them.

lou xxx
    a lot of the time they do, but they just don't care anymore. Or are conivinced that no one else cares.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainat87)
    surely punching walls could do damage too...
    It could, but at worst you'll break your hand and damage a wall. If you cut yourself, you could cut an artery and bleed to death - if not, you'll still have the scars which will last a lot longer than a broken hand etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Do Chickens Fly)
    And could you explain to me what exactly is so wrong about attention seeking?

IMO, those who seek attention are helped by it for one reason or another. I don't see how ignoring them would help, nor discouraging them from speaking about their problems.
    Bravo!
    Attention= a basic human need. Even negative attention is better than no attention at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    a lot of the time they do, but they just don't care anymore. Or are conivinced that no one else cares.
    i've bin to that point and back,
    i've cut myself, burned myself, drank detox (dont ask, was 12) and had about 6 para's.
    i was bed ridden for a day or 2 from the paras though.

has anyone actualy dreamed themselfs having actually cut there wrists?
    i've had the thought of it so many times that it actually seems fesable now.
    but oh well, i dont care

jp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    this is one of those topics i really don't understand. one of my best mates fill me with fear everytime i see her arms. she is depressed and has suffered from anorexia/bulimia (she changes between the 2) and the she started cuttign her stomach, and then the back of her arms and now her actual wrists. fills me with fear that her hand could slip so easily. she's seeing counsellers and doctors, is on anti-depresants and has so many friends who care about her and a family who loves her... but she only seems to get worse. i don't know whether the people who do these things realise how much it hurts those who love them.

lou xxx
    I know, I get very upset too when I see people do that. You see people who are really pretty get upset about their looks and they won't listen to anything you say no matter how true it is. Sometimes I dunno whether I should keep trying to change their minds coz' often being close to them just hurts more.

ReputationRep:
    i never have understood self harming. i cant see what you could think it would stop? is it a sub concious thing? i dont understand...

ReputationRep:
    well i never dreamed i cut my wrist, but i once dreamed i pulled all my teeth out - but that was because i dreamed i went to the dentist and they gave me the laughing gas, and accidentally left it on when they took the mask off me, and then the dentist and the nurse just dropped down asleep, then i woke up and saw all the dentist stuff, and being in such a droopy mood from the gas, decided i'd sit there and pull each of my teeth out, one by one....i woke up suddenly with the taste of blood in my mouth. Wasnt pleasant at the time, but funny now

ReputationRep:
    i htink peopel often do it in a dream-like state... not totally conscious of what theyre doing. i've certainly been like that, where i'd been half way through before i realised what i was doing! i'd also say that is when its most dangerous... when it becomes unconscious... lke youre sitting on the bus home and you suddenly realise you've imbedded something in your hand! at the time you dont realise how dangerous it is... even after months of stitches and stuff... but i'd say the general rule is if the blood coming out feels cold then youre fine, if the blood feels warm and you can see spurts... then its time to stop.
    i was always told that my self-harm was really bad, but then when i was in hospital for a few months last year, i met people whose lives revolved entirely around cutting. freaked me out... but then they said exactly the same about me. i think everything looks worse on other people, used to make me ill looking at other peoples cuts (though if you want a real gross-out-freak-show go to www.psyke.org or ruinyourlife.com... theyre gross)
    so anyway, i got over my cutting phase a few months ago... i htink... and have turned my hand to differnt forms of harm (all that blood was so messy, too much hassle to clean up) things that dont leave external scars. means that people can look at me more normally again as they dont know whats going on. but those scars are still there to remind me every single day. i think people seeing scars on a "normal person" is more shocking for them, people expected it of the whizzened little freak i was in hospital... now if people see my old scars, they actually believe me when i say i travelled in africa and worked in a tiger-reserve.

Ok self harmers out there here's a little advice, it's obviously never occured to you, it's due to experience and radical thinking that i came up with it. "Stop doing it" - easier said than done perhaps, but the day i realised how pointless it is and how simple the solution is is the day i quit. All your doing it distancing yourself from others, wallowing in self pity and putting your life at risk. Coming from somebody who nearly died twice life gets better purely from quitting this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Ok self harmers out there here's a little advice, it's obviously never occured to you, it's due to experience and radical thinking that i came up with it. "Stop doing it" - easier said than done perhaps, but the day i realised how pointless it is and how simple the solution is is the day i quit. All your doing it distancing yourself from others, wallowing in self pity and putting your life at risk. Coming from somebody who nearly died twice life gets better purely from quitting this.
    hmm... yeah... well i have "quit" now... but it had nothign to do with being able to say to myself that i should stop. that would suggest i had some control over it... which i cant say i ever did. i started without realising, most people do, so you cant just switch off from it. i take it you never went through psychosis, never had voices telling you to do it... i'd like to see you just switch those off and stop. ok, some people do it for attention... maybe theyre in control enough to stop... but if we're talking about sh as part of a mental disorder/illness... theres nothign you can do to stop it. even in hospital where i was accompanied 24/7 for months and had all my belongings taken away... i still managed to hurt myself. theres nothing you can do but work at it very very very slowly, take the drugs, and be brave.

lol i never heard voices, that's my mum, hey perhaps that's why she self harms, anyway i started for a very unique reason that not many would understand, including you. So don't give me any of this 'well i got it worse so who are you to patronise me' crap.

Anyway you said you quit, so well done.

ReputationRep:
    When i used to self harm, it was always accompanied by a huge surge of energy - so when i tried to stop i used to go for a run instead. I also did the punching walls thing, and yeah, it does work - but i now have flat knuckles on one of my hands and a piece of bone floating around in it, where i chipped one of them. There's not much i can say to help, you have to make a consious decision to stop it, and try and stick with it no matter how hard it feels.

As for the scar issue, those stick on patches do work, but like people said, they're expensive. Also remember that if you get tanned, scars will stand out more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    lol i never heard voices, that's my mum, hey perhaps that's why she self harms, anyway i started for a very unique reason that not many would understand, including you. So don't give me any of this 'well i got it worse so who are you to patronise me' crap.

Anyway you said you quit, so well done.
    No offence meant, but isn't that exactly what you've just done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ainat87)
    I have scars on my arm and just wondered if anyone knows of any cream or anything that would help them fade quicker...
    MAKE UP!!!!!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 26, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.