ReputationRep:
    I am legit curious.

ReputationRep:
    The pressure to be fabulous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The pressure to have kids. I'm not going to ever have them but the hounding about why I wont have them/persuasions for me to try and change my mind continues.

ReputationRep:
    to look good I guess

ReputationRep:
    To not behave crudely, to be extremely pretty, also a lot of my early life was spent wondering what my future husband would be like which obviously took a turn lol, I think that goes for everyone though

ReputationRep:
    Pressure to be with someone. Like I am fabulous by myself, I don't need society telling me that I need a boyfriend in order to be happy

ReputationRep:
    Being a feminist

ReputationRep:
    1) All my friends are size 10s and 5'5- I'm size 16 and 6'. I know im the 'fatter' friend despite me being the healthiest of them all, but god does it stress me out when I feel bad about myself one day and I see them. People say "your group is so pretty!" like lmao okay thanks xxxxxx

2) Also, majority of my friends have lost their virginities. I'm against the ideology of 'virginity' and all but the amount of times my friends have said "X said he'd do it with you" is gross. I've had offers/ a boyfriend, but HEY maybe I just don't want to? Smh

3) "You wanna go into sciences? I heart its 80% male domination in that sector. Good luck haha!"

4) Just being attractive in general is a pressure. Maybe I want to wear leggings and a baggy shirt out because I'm tired of school/life- why is that so important? argh

ReputationRep:
    Being a feminist, pansexual sexually identifying as a tree. It's a hard life....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GUMI)
    I am legit curious.
    The pressure to never be angry/show any negative emotion.

I feel like girls are always criticized for being too 'over-emotional' or 'emos' or forever 'on their periods'. Are we expected to be robots? Or just happy every moment of everyday?

I actually think that this really cripples self-expression in young girls in particular.

Girls have pressure on them from all of the things listed by other TSR members, but on top of that, there is pressure to pretend not to feel pressured.

It would be best if we could be who we are and feel what we need too. That goes for boys as well. Human beings are sometimes very mentally delicate and this is not restricted to gender.

Moral of the story: be happy, but not because you've been told to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    The pressure to be fabulous.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But you are already fabulous? How can you be pressured to do something that comes so naturally?

ReputationRep:
    To look amazing 24/7 -,-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    1) All my friends are size 10s and 5'5- I'm size 16 and 6'. I know im the 'fatter' friend despite me being the healthiest of them all, but god does it stress me out when I feel bad about myself one day and I see them. People say "your group is so pretty!" like lmao okay thanks xxxxxx

2) Also, majority of my friends have lost their virginities. I'm against the ideology of 'virginity' and all but the amount of times my friends have said "X said he'd do it with you" is gross. I've had offers/ a boyfriend, but HEY maybe I just don't want to? Smh

3) "You wanna go into sciences? I heart its 80% male domination in that sector. Good luck haha!"

4) Just being attractive in general is a pressure. Maybe I want to wear leggings and a baggy shirt out because I'm tired of school/life- why is that so important? argh
    1) That can be really hard. I sympathise! Body ideals change so much over time as well! One moment we're being asked to be curvy and voluptuous and the next society wants us to be twiglets with tiny waists!

2) Hmmm... I understand that a lot of people hold a lot of value in the idea of virginity but I don't think it's the be all and end all of life. You're friends don't have the right to choose someone for you or tell you to have sex but I'd say they have the right to offer. If they find you attractive and enjoy sex then I think it's perfectly natural for them to want to have sex with you! I think you are taking the wrong message from this (just my opinion mind you). Why not take it as a sign that people find you beautiful and desirable?

3) Screw that. Go for it!

4) As long as you are comfortable in yourself, isn't that all that matters? Besides I bet you rock the leggings/baggy shirt look :cool:

ReputationRep:
    1) You have to be pretty and slim. Most of my friends are size 6s and 8s. I'm a size 10/12 and I defo feel insecure over it. You see loads of girls on instagram with slim bodies,no stretch marks and perfect,unmarked faces. I don't have a flat stomach and my belly sticks out and has stretch marks. I have chubby cheeks and I actually cringe whenever I see a pic of myself. It's not helpful when everyone says, "Oh your older sister is so pretty!" and you're just going through da pain like

2) You need to have a boyfriend. Or you're doomed. Girls from my old school constantly put up pics of them and their boyfriends and then a few annoying ones penalise the girls who don't want bfs atm and call them prudes. Like ffs, as long as I have dogs and food I don't need a man to make me happy.

3) "Oh you did boxing? But you're a girl!"

4) "Oh you don't like rom coms? You like Fight Club and violent action films? But you're a girl!"

5) "What do you mean you're not a feminist? Girls don't have any rights nowadays ffs WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU " I don't think girls in the West need as much feminism anymore. We have the right to an education and to marry who we love and to work and to make our own choices. That should be enough. For some reason, believing that girls in the Middle East and in South Asia who get forced into marriage and taken out of school and have acid thrown on their faces for giving birth to females instead of males are the ones who need feminism the most is a controversial view.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    To not behave crudely, to be extremely pretty, also a lot of my early life was spent wondering what my future husband would be like which obviously took a turn lol, I think that goes for everyone though
    TBH Men probably face more, rather than the same, pressure concerning unruly behaviour, as the gold standard of behaviour better aligns with female behaviour than male behaviour.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    1) You have to be pretty and slim. Most of my friends are size 6s and 8s. I'm a size 10/12 and I defo feel insecure over it. You see loads of girls on instagram with slim bodies,no stretch marks and perfect,unmarked faces. I don't have a flat stomach and my belly sticks out and has stretch marks. I have chubby cheeks and I actually cringe whenever I see a pic of myself. It's not helpful when everyone says, "Oh your older sister is so pretty!" and you're just going through da pain like

2) You need to have a boyfriend. Or you're doomed. Girls from my old school constantly put up pics of them and their boyfriends and then a few annoying ones penalise the girls who don't want bfs atm and call them prudes. Like ffs, as long as I have dogs and food I don't need a man to make me happy.

3) "Oh you did boxing? But you're a girl!"

4) "Oh you don't like rom coms? You like Fight Club and violent action films? But you're a girl!"

5) "What do you mean you're not a feminist? Girls don't have any rights nowadays ffs WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU " I don't think girls in the West need as much feminism anymore. We have the right to an education and to marry who we love and to work and to make our own choices. That should be enough. For some reason, believing that girls in the Middle East and in South Asia who get forced into marriage and taken out of school and have acid thrown on their faces for giving birth to females instead of males are the ones who need feminism the most is a controversial view.
    Big problem about that at our school, teachers really being quite obtrusive about the issue towards the girls.

ReputationRep:
    PLEASE NOTE
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I am very bored so I am sorry for not taking this 100% seriously
    FEMALE LIFE GOAL$

1) to literally look like a model
    2) to wear a trowel load of make up everyday
    3) to find a boyfriend/partner
    4) to have children
    5) to be a stay at home mum and look after said children
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have failed at all of these so far :rofl:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The third one I failed at most - I completely disliked my boyfriend to quite an extent and kind of wish Id hung on a while longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Big problem about that at our school, teachers really being quite obtrusive about the issue towards the girls.
    Frankly, women in the West who call for more rights for women and less for men sicken me. I'm all for men and women being equal. But for women to have more rights?

Hell naw.

ReputationRep:
    To have a big bum :lol:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Frankly, women in the West who call for more rights for women and less for men sicken me.
    The girls who decide not The girls who decide not to hop onto popular ideas (like 3rd wave feminism) to me, are the best example of strong, independent women.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.